Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:57 AM   #51
Four oF NINE
macrumors 65816

Hi there!

What about MAC OS X 10.6.9 for Snow Leopard users?
Four oF NINE is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:05 AM   #52
Darth.Titan
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesith View Post
Too bad it doesn't work with non network devices
Silliest post in the thread. You want Apple to provide an App that configures other companies' hardware? Most other routers can be configured via a browser anyway so there's no problems making changes on an iOS device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemütlichkeit View Post
This really should be part of the settings menu. Not a stand alone app
No it shouldn't. Most people don't use Apple's networking hardware, and Airport settings would confuse them.
Darth.Titan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:06 AM   #53
iCrizzo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by frunkis54 View Post
anyone have a link its not comming up for me?
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/airpo...6530?mt=8&ls=1
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:18 AM   #54
flopticalcube
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four oF NINE View Post
Hi there!

What about MAC OS X 10.6.9 for Snow Leopard users?
What about it?
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:20 AM   #55
nwcs
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by c613m View Post
Weird, just clicked on the link from my iPhone and voila, there's the app. lol thanks!
Yep, confirmed. For some reason it won't pull up on the web. Maybe it hasn't propagated yet.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:30 AM   #56
scoobydoo99
macrumors 6502a

...but why?

So, it looks like a nice little app. But why would I need it? My Time Capsule is set up to work with my MacBook Pro, iPhone, and Apple TV. After the initial setup, it has always worked. I can't even remember the last time I needed to access AirPort Utility.

Just can't understand why some ppl say "Finally! I've been waiting for this..." (?) I mean, i'm glad u got it - I just don't know why it matters.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:34 AM   #57
Mike Oxard
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydoo99 View Post
So, it looks like a nice little app. But why would I need it? My Time Capsule is set up to work with my MacBook Pro, iPhone, and Apple TV. After the initial setup, it has always worked. I can't even remember the last time I needed to access AirPort Utility.

Just can't understand why some ppl say "Finally! I've been waiting for this..." (?) I mean, i'm glad u got it - I just don't know why it matters.
It's part of "no PC required thing", so you can get an iPad with no home computer needed at any point. The iPad/Phone/Pod can now set up your network where before you needed a computer.
Mike Oxard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:35 AM   #58
Four oF NINE
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopticalcube View Post
What about it?
Hi there!

The question is will there be one released to enable Snow Leopard users to use iCloud?
Four oF NINE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:36 AM   #59
Danny Mac
macrumors member

Quote:

Because as with iOS 5 and them "cutting the cord" from computers, a lot of iOS devices obviously run on wifi and would like to administrate those networks without having to jump on a desktop or notebook.

It serves to further making iOS devices independent. That's my understanding anyways.
Danny Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:40 AM   #60
flopticalcube
macrumors G4

Quote:

Because for some of us things change frequently. I live in a household of 5 people and their network needs change and its usually when I'm not on a computer, whether its changing a network password, checking log files, adding a disk or printer, checking device status, etc. Its probably not useful for someone with just a single device or whose requirements are static. Ultimately, it papers over the flaw in that the Airport devices require a proprietary interface but that is for another thread.

EDIT: Just thought of another use. You are traveling with your Express (as many do). You no longer need a laptop to configure it. Just bring your iPad/iPhone/iPod touch.

Last edited by flopticalcube; Oct 12, 2011 at 12:42 PM.
flopticalcube is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:41 AM   #61
bacaramac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by igazza View Post
next will be iWork for iOS
If your statement is about updating iWork for iCloud/iOS 5. I thought Apple already did this update and rolled it out?? If they did, the software probably just looks for the version of iOS software and then iCloud setting and then allows the enhanced functionality.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:41 AM   #62
flopticalcube
macrumors G4

Quote:
Hi there!

The question is will there be one released to enable Snow Leopard users to use iCloud?
This thread is about Airport Utility for iOS devices. Snow Leopard already has an Airport Utility. It has nothing whatsoever to do with iCloud.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:47 AM   #63
frunkis54
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSaxon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCrizzo View Post
thank you
frunkis54 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:50 AM   #64
diddl14
macrumors 6502

Just tried it out. The first time you press 'edit' on an Airport Extreme it asks for the password. So far so good.

But than it has an 'advanced' option where it shows the password

And now for the real bad part: after stopping the app (double-click home, kill app) and starting it again, it no longer asks for the master password.

So, simply put, using this tool once will make your base station + wifi password visible to anyone that get's a hand on your iPhone.

Oh, and for the real, real, real, real bad part: even rebooting the phone doesn't help. Edit mode is enabled forever, until you delete the tool.
diddl14 is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:51 AM   #65
World Citizen
macrumors regular

Quote:
You can edit your other peripherals via IP... no app needed.

Non issue
World Citizen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:55 AM   #66
diddl14
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddl14 View Post
Just tried it out. The first time you press 'edit' on an Airport Extreme it asks for the password. So far so good.

But than it has an 'advanced' option where it shows the password

And now for the real bad part: after stopping the app (double-click home, kill app) and starting it again, it no longer asks for the master password.

So, simply put, using this tool once will make your base station + wifi password visible to anyone that get's a hand on your iPhone.

Oh, and for the real, real, real, real bad part: even rebooting the phone doesn't help. Edit mode is enabled forever, until you delete the tool.
Oh, and to make it even worser than worse. Deleting the app doesn't delete the password. Just reinstall the app and your precious passwords are out in the open again.
diddl14 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:56 AM   #67
rorschach
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemütlichkeit View Post
This really should be part of the settings menu. Not a stand alone app
Actually, they've sort of done the "best of both worlds."

It's a standalone app so they can update it without a whole OS update.

But there is also a "Manage Network" button right in the Wi-Fi network settings that opens the app. If you don't have it installed it opens the App Store page so you can download it.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:07 PM   #68
admanimal
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Hi there!

The other question is what will I have for dinner tonight, which is only slightly less relevant to this thread than your question.
admanimal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:08 PM   #69
mostlydave
macrumors member

Why is there any reason this can't update any model of Airport Express? It won't work with my Wireless G airport Express . I don't need Wireless N speeds to stream music to my speakers on my desk
mostlydave is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:10 PM   #70
JHankwitz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
Quote:
How could you possible expect Apple's network utility to work with non-Apple equipment? That's like expecting a Toyota Prius transmission to work in a Chevy Volt. They're totally different systems. Apple's equipment is designed to work together, not to be hacked to work with everything else.
JHankwitz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:12 PM   #71
rorschach
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Bug Linksys or whoever makes your router to make an app. They are more than welcome to do so.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:38 PM   #72
iSee
macrumors 68040

This is cool...

...and a small but necessary piece of the puzzle which lets idevices work without a PC or Mac of any kind.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:59 PM   #73
RMo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sionharris View Post
I assume this is free? I'm browsing on a Windows PC so I can't check.
Maybe some day Apple will finally make iTunes for Windows!

Just kidding (I'm assuming you're on a work computer or something without iTunes)--but you don't even need iTunes to view App (or iTunes, by the way) Store descriptions and whatnot. The link provided in the summary takes you to the Web-based view.

As others have mentioned, the price is listed as "Free."

I appreciate Apple's efforts to make the iPad more usable without a full-fledged computer.
RMo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 01:08 PM   #74
diddl14
macrumors 6502

Anyone figured out how to prevent the master+wifi passwords from being visible every time the app is started? I've tried a couple things but so far no luck...
diddl14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 01:44 PM   #75
jsoto
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to jsoto Send a message via Yahoo to jsoto Send a message via Skype™ to jsoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by flopticalcube View Post
finally! I no longer have to get to a computer to administer my network!
:d

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion