Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G0meZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
how to create lion install dvd from a newly purchased macbookpro?

G0meZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
thank you general!

i'll look into it now.

no dvd, ha?
i find it crazy to force ppl away from dvd to usb stick for their install media, it's more expensive and less safe...

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
thank you general!

i'll look into it now.

no dvd, ha?
i find it crazy to force ppl away from dvd to usb stick for their install media, it's more expensive and less safe...

the above method makes a recovery disk which would allow you to put in a new hard drive and boot off it so you can download lion onto the new hard drive but this of course requires internet and about 3 GB for the download, the below link shows you how to make a actually install dvd of lion so in the event you need to install it on a new hard drive you can without the need for internet download

http://www.mactrast.com/2011/09/how-to-create-a-bootable-dvd-disc-for-os-x-lion/

G0meZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
ah yes, thank you. that was what i was actually looking for... a complete install...like back in SL-times... no need to go online and download!

but: this assumes i bought lion via app store... well, i didn't, i bought it with the macbook pro... any solution to this?

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
ah yes, thank you. that was what i was actually looking for... a complete install...like back in SL-times... no need to go online and download!

but: this assumes i bought lion via app store... well, i didn't, i bought it with the macbook pro... any solution to this?

yup, if you computer came with lion the app store should show it as "installed" or "purchased" so just follow those instructions

hold option, click app store, than purchased, and you can re-download the "install" file for lion, i know its a bit of a pain to waste 3GB of bandwith downloading something you already have but thats the only way ive found to make the bootable dvd

G0meZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
hm, but lion does not show up under purchased. only iphoto, imovie and garageband...:confused:

G0meZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
yes, tried half a dozen times. option-click on app store, opt-click on purchase, no lion there.
if i search lion top right, it'll show up as installed. but i can't do anything there.

:confused:

sidenote: ** that store is a PITA! just got a mail saying that i downloaded grgband, :mad: i didn't... at least they don't have my creditcard... self serve here, eh?

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
yes, tried half a dozen times. option-click on app store, opt-click on purchase, no lion there.
if i search lion top right, it'll show up as installed. but i can't do anything there.

:confused:

sidenote: ** that store is a PITA! just got a mail saying that i downloaded grgband, :mad: i didn't... at least they don't have my creditcard... self serve here, eh?

when did you buy your mac?

i recall now i got the redeem code for lion when i bought mine even though it was installed when i entered this code in the app store it added it to my purchased list

G0meZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
like three, four weeks ago, had it delivered some 10days ago...

'redeem' code, what evil plot is this?!
boy, i am fuming. this is unacceptable, i cannot believe i am wasting an evening trying to get what i bought.
this is worse than m$ ever dared to venture in their greed.
funny how jobs once bitched at bill gates asking him whether he wanted to become the richest guy on the cemetery..

wcbrownhound

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2009
Middle Tennessee
Disk

:confused:So what I have read here, When you purchase a new Mac with Lion on it you dont receive a disk with the Lion operating system on it like the disk with Leopard like I got with my MacBook 3 years ago. Also you cant buy a Lion disk, you have to download it. Thanks:confused:

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
like three, four weeks ago, had it delivered some 10days ago...

'redeem' code, what evil plot is this?!
boy, i am fuming. this is unacceptable, i cannot believe i am wasting an evening trying to get what i bought.
this is worse than m$ ever dared to venture in their greed.
funny how jobs once bitched at bill gates asking him whether he wanted to become the richest guy on the cemetery..

Go on the apple site you will see the link that says you may be eligible for a free copy of lion, fill out that forum and you get a redeem code, than go back to the Mac app store click where it says redeem code, type the code you got and it will add lion to purchased than you can do like the post says

G0meZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Go on the apple site you will see the link that says you may be eligible for a free copy of lion, fill out that forum and you get a redeem code, than go back to the Mac app store click where it says redeem code, type the code you got and it will add lion to purchased than you can do like the post says

ok, but that is a mighty big site... do you know where i can find this? I guess i have to login somewhere? when i login with my appleid and go to support/downloads
http://support.apple.com/downloads/#macosandsoftware
, there's only updates available...

Last edited:

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario

G0meZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
thanks for the link, but no luck either...this is only for machines purchased in the US, I guess... at least it only allows US states, and if I use, say New York,NY, then the system says it doesn't know my serial#...

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
thanks for the link, but no luck either...this is only for machines purchased in the US, I guess... at least it only allows US states, and if I use, say New York,NY, then the system says it doesn't know my serial#...

You should have something close on your site go to the site and than click on the Mac section than osx lion you should see something that say if your recently purchase a Mac click here

G0meZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
I can find the link on the .com site, but there you'll have to have bought it on US soil. it seems only US and Canada are offering this...no other country sites of apple show that link :mad:

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I can find the link on the .com site, but there you'll have to have bought it on US soil. it seems only US and Canada are offering this...no other country sites of apple show that link :mad:

where are you from, i tested mexico since spanish is the only other language i could guess my way through and its on their version also, maybe its only Canada/US/Mexico

G0meZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
i bought this machine in switzerland (not exactly renowned for good customer service).

G0meZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
now i'm embarrassed and you deserve to get a coffee (sitting at starducks right now)! how'd you find this?

but this really is an odyssee, this page tells me it cannot find my serial# :mad::mad::mad:

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
now i'm embarrassed and you deserve to get a coffee (sitting at starducks right now)! how'd you find this?

but this really is an odyssee, this page tells me it cannot find my serial# :mad::mad::mad:

thats odd, i would call apple and see if they can help, i know in Canada i only had 30 days to claim my code so maybe its something like that casuing your issue, but if you explain that you did not know about the program you might still be eligible

G0meZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
i will, after i calmed down so i won't yell at them. boy, lion so far has been an evil flashback into the micro$oft days.
thank you for your help though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.