Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Oct 12, 2011, 02:40 PM   #1
iLog.Genius
macrumors 68040

Question Account Limit Reached: This device is no longer eligible for creating an Apple ID.

Anyone have this problem? I've tried other Apple ID's but it's the same problem.
iLog.Genius is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 02:43 PM   #2
soco
macrumors Demi-God

It may, but I'm not sure, mean that you've reached your limit (3) of iCloud accounts created on your Mac.

I'm probably just crazy.
Contribute to MacRumors: Become a Demi-God!
soco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 02:48 PM   #3
iLog.Genius
macrumors 68040

I have none setup. I just swapped HDD, I don't even use Lion. The only account I have set up is for iChat (which is my old .mac account that I'm trying to use in iCloud).
iLog.Genius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 03:05 PM   #4
JonPasternak
macrumors newbie

Same problem here
JonPasternak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 03:55 PM   #5
sjr235
macrumors newbie

also have the same issue. i only have one comp authorized. after it gave me that message when trying to sign into icloud i clicked create a new apple id and it says this device is no longer eligible to create a free icloud account....
sjr235 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 04:02 PM   #6
Horacio Caine
macrumors newbie

Same problem...
Horacio Caine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 05:53 PM   #7
ashleykaryl
macrumors newbie

Me too. My computer recently had a new logic board and Apple failed to add in the serial number, so I wondered if that was the cause but probably not if others are seeing it as well.
ashleykaryl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 06:46 PM   #8
psheredia
macrumors newbie

same problem here..
psheredia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 07:26 PM   #9
askunk
macrumors newbie

…and same here. I read the servers are overloaded with requests. I hope it is just temporary.
askunk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 08:26 PM   #10
imtheneal
macrumors newbie

have the same problem with my ipad 2...
imtheneal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 08:38 PM   #11
iSuPeRFrEaKy
macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem on my iMac.

Try to sign in with my ID/app store account and get a message

Account Limit Reached
This device is no longer eligible for creating an Apple ID.

Im not trying to create an Apple ID, just trying to sign in with my existing Apple ID.
iSuPeRFrEaKy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:23 PM   #12
iLog.Genius
macrumors 68040

Well this is just dumb and frustrating. Did a clean install - installed Snow Leopard then installed Lion. I still can't iCloud to work. This is the first time I've ever run into a problem with Apple that I could not figure out or bypass. VERY annoyed right now.
iLog.Genius is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:33 PM   #13
psheredia
macrumors newbie

My sister has just signed in with her Apple ID and it worked right away, no trouble at all, while I still can't get it to work. Very frustrating.
psheredia is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2011, 02:27 AM   #14
jackito
macrumors newbie

Unhappy Same problem here

Hi guys,

same problem here and it's not resolved yet... very frustating... I don´t know what more can I do...

I have only one Apple ID and no MobileMe or iCloud account yet... I don't know whats happening...

By the way, my computer had a new logic board too and I don't know what serial number added Apple to their lists...

Very frustating... Any advice is welcome.

jackito is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2011, 03:26 AM   #15
ashleykaryl
macrumors newbie

Hi Jackito, if you go to "About This Mac" found under the Apple logo in the top left hand of your screen and click on the version number twice it will tell you the serial number. Apple should have put back in the original number, which you will find on the back of your computer somewhere.

This attachment shows how there is no longer a serial number on my computer and Apple say it will have to go back for a 2 days to fix this. That would be the 3rd repair in 3 months...

It doesn't sound as if this would necessarily be the cause of the problem given that others are having the same issues but I was certain that sooner or later this would become a pain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_105.gif
Views:	84
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	306433  
Old Oct 13, 2011, 03:33 AM   #16
jackito
macrumors newbie

Hi Ashleykaryl,

I've called to Apple Care Service and they've told me to send an email to iTunes Store service explaining my problem because it seems to be related with Apple IDs.

So, that's what I've done, you can do the same here http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/contact/ . Follow on screen instructions and wait for an answer...

That's all I have right now. If I solve the problem I'll tell you all first

Good luck!
Old Oct 13, 2011, 05:31 AM   #17
Mr Wonka
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackito View Post
So, that's what I've done, you can do the same here http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/contact/ . Follow on screen instructions and wait for an answer...
I've just tried to do this but it appears to get any further then the page after you will need your serial number. Luckily you can click the 'My Products' link and assuming you've registered your mac in the past the serial number will be available there.

Since I'm out of applecare though I'm just crossing my fingers that they respond. :/
Mr Wonka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2011, 05:38 AM   #18
jackito
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wonka View Post
I've just tried to do this but it appears to get any further then the page after you will need your serial number. Luckily you can click the 'My Products' link and assuming you've registered your mac in the past the serial number will be available there.

Since I'm out of applecare though I'm just crossing my fingers that they respond. :/
I find myself in the same situation as you are, out of applecare... let's wait and find out.

Good luck to you too!

Old Oct 13, 2011, 07:20 AM   #19
jackito
macrumors newbie

You guys, take a look at this thread posted in Apple Forums...

https://discussions.apple.com/message/16335887#16335887
Old Oct 13, 2011, 07:46 AM   #20
ashleykaryl
macrumors newbie

I think this is the problem. I've just updated my iMac and that worked instantly. The question is what are Apple going to do about it?
Old Oct 13, 2011, 07:48 AM   #21
jackito
macrumors newbie

I imagine that you have updated the serial number but... how did you do it?
Old Oct 13, 2011, 07:56 AM   #22
ashleykaryl
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackito View Post
I imagine that you have updated the serial number but... how did you do it?
My new Mac Pro that I bought 3 months ago has already had the logic board changed and that is the one with the problem. The old iMac still has the original logic board so that is fine.

When the Apple technicians replace a logic board they are supposed to flash the new one with the original serial number but some don't bother and then you get these kinds of problems later on. The only way to fix this is to send the machine away for another repair as far as I can tell. I'm fed up with all the time I've spent on the phone dealing with Apple over the last couple of months...
Old Oct 13, 2011, 08:14 AM   #23
iLog.Genius
macrumors 68040

It could be a serial number thing but I highly doubt Apple would start checking them for services like this. If there was a problem there should be an option to enter it manually. Also, if you try doing it Windows, I still get errors so not having a serial number flashed can't be a problem.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 08:54 AM   #24
Mr Wonka
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLog.Genius View Post
It could be a serial number thing but I highly doubt Apple would start checking them for services like this.
They haven't done so in the past you are correct. But given that they've applied a 3 activation hardware limit to iCloud I guess they chose the only thing that is unique to each piece of hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLog.Genius View Post
If there was a problem there should be an option to enter it manually.
They will never allow user access to the serial number. It uniquely identifies every computer they make.

Not bought applecare? Thats ok, just enter this serial number and take it in to a store.
Mr Wonka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:13 AM   #25
iLog.Genius
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wonka View Post
They haven't done so in the past you are correct. But given that they've applied a 3 activation hardware limit to iCloud I guess they chose the only thing that is unique to each piece of hardware.
I guess but how do you explain the user with the problem on the iPad? There's just too many things right now. If I knew the serial number getting removed would be a problem I would've got it re-flashed after I installed Snow Leopard for the first time or when I bought Lion. If this is really a serial number issue, anyone know how much it would cost at the Apple Store to re-flash the serial number back to the logic board?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion