Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 12, 2011, 04:33 PM   #1
matthewskyle
macrumors member

Fair price for iPhone 4?

I'm looking to upgrade my wife from the 3GS -> 4 and I see a lot of phones selling for $350-$400 and personally thought it was outrageous (these were also only 16GB models). Correct me if I am wrong, but these are used phones, that are now a generation old and only cost ~$600 retail when launched...over a year ago.... To me, it would be the equivalent of taking a PS3 and looking up the retail price of one at launch(~$500) and trying to sell it for $300 used when they are $199 now...Am I waaayy off base on this? Or is it price gouging so that people can buy out their ETF's? I was expecting to see $150 prices...But I see 3GS iPhone ad's for that price...
Old Oct 12, 2011, 04:36 PM   #2
LinksAwakener
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewskyle View Post
I'm looking to upgrade my wife from the 3GS -> 4 and I see a lot of phones selling for $350-$400 and personally thought it was outrageous (these were also only 16GB models). Correct me if I am wrong, but these are used phones, that are now a generation old and only cost ~$600 retail when launched...over a year ago.... To me, it would be the equivalent of taking a PS3 and looking up the retail price of one at launch(~$500) and trying to sell it for $300 used when they are $199 now...Am I waaayy off base on this? Or is it price gouging so that people can buy out their ETF's? I was expecting to see $150 prices...But I see 3GS iPhone ad's for that price...
If iPhone 4's indeed sold for $199 your analogy would be accurate. But they're currently selling for $550 new. And that's only 8GB. Supply and demand: if they weren't being bought at that price, people wouldn't be selling them at that price.
LinksAwakener is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 04:46 PM   #3
doctapeppa
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewskyle View Post
This is common for apple products in general. They hold their value very well.
doctapeppa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 04:53 PM   #4
chdwil
macrumors regular

iPhones hold their value. I am going to sell a 32g 3gs for practically the same price i just bought the 4s for. it is market value.

If you were savvy you would have your 3gs for sale now to get a large amount of the money you would need to buy a 4.
chdwil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 04:54 PM   #5
zmulleni
macrumors regular

I just sold my 32GB iPhone 4 which I bought at launch for $560. Granted I didn't upgrade specifically to be able to sell my phone to a T-mobile user; which until they get the iPhone will always pay premiums to get a device that their carrier doesn't offer. You just have to know your market and do some research on just how well these phones hold there value. I make on average $200 to $240 every time I upgrade.
zmulleni is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone