Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2002
it's like pre itools/.mac/homepage stuff.

how do you guys fnd this? any freaky keywords?

samdweck

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2002
1 Infinite Loop
Originally posted by crazy_will
it's like pre itools/.mac/homepage stuff.

how do you guys fnd this? any freaky keywords?

maybe it's some old thing they were toying with the idea of, and never executed, or maybe it's to trick us!

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
It does look like an iTools prototype. Could this be a private server that SJ uses for iTools/.mac presentations during his keynotes?

samdweck

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2002
1 Infinite Loop
Originally posted by Durandal7
It does look like an iTools prototype. Could this be a private server that SJ uses for iTools/.mac presentations during his keynotes?

wait... it can't be... steve jobs didn't come back with the whole "i" thing until 97, and the company was completely changed then. Can't be.

coopdog

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2002
The Great Midwest
I noticed that on vic's page he says something about OS X so it has been clearly updated since 1996 or when ever. I sent some of them emails ill see if i get replies.

Oh yeah and there was also privite.apple.com which happened to have some old "Top serect" stuff in on it. Now its blocked. It was talked about here before

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9715

I find this to be quite interesting, the whole concept. Some random servers linking back to some random apple url running in some dusty old basement in who knows where. Or maybe even in the hart of "Apple Land" Steve Jobs office even! They're tring to fool us, its a diversion!

samdweck

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2002
1 Infinite Loop
Originally posted by coopdog
I noticed that on vic's page he says something about OS X so it has been clearly updated since 1996 or when ever. I sent some of them emails ill see if i get replies.

Oh yeah and there was also privite.apple.com which happened to have some old "Top serect" stuff in on it. Now its blocked. It was talked about here before

I find this to be quite interesting, the whole concept. Some random servers linking back to some random apple url running in some dusty old basement in who knows where. Or maybe even in the hart of "Apple Land" Steve Jobs office even! They're tring to fool us, its a diversion!

Soemthign is soudning very mysterious about this... I bet you caught soemthing that is up their sleeve... shouldn't have sent those email... keep it quiet!?

TheT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2002
Germany
Originally posted by irmongoose
Please tell me you guys know what CyberDog is (or was)...
Yeah, I'd like to know that, too!
But it's not a previous version of iTools, 'cause those people that have their pages there actually work at Apple... but why waves.apple.com? weird stuff!

TheT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2002
Germany
On the INXS page , there's some stuff from June 2002, so it clearly was updated...
this stuff is cool... I wonder how many more of these weird apple pages we'll find... where did you get this from anyways?!? :cool:

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002

Yeah It used to have alot of stuff on it such as the p58 info. I posted a thread about a .sit file full of pdf files of the p58 and someone notived that one of the files i had mentioned contained info about firewire 3. After that everything mysteriously went away and now there is only a folder of vendors and you cannot access each vendor's folder w/o a password.

http://htp://www.private.apple.com i just realized this address no longer redirects you to the right site go here https://private.apple.com/opseng/

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
CyberDog was Apple's first (and only) attempt at a web browser. It was kinda like Netscape Communicator, as in it had many internet utilities in one, but it also included things like FTP. But, it failed, just like many other Apple technologies which were maybe just too ahead of its time. Other failed Apple technologies include the Newton, the eMate, and OpenDoc (this was the technology CyberDog relied on, and since OpenDoc failed, CyberDog failed).

Well, if you wanna know more, just ask.

irmongoose

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Originally posted by TheT

Okay :D
Well, what was OpenDoc? Something like the Mozilla Engine, a browser with open standards?

OpenDoc was a cross-platform software development technology which concentrated on the documents, rather than the application, letting users customize almost each and every thing (such as placement of buttons), to his/her will. It did sound great, but in the end, it just made life hard for both developers and users.

Anything else?

irmongoose

samdweck

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2002
1 Infinite Loop
Originally posted by irmongoose
CyberDog was Apple's first (and only) attempt at a web browser. It was kinda like Netscape Communicator, as in it had many internet utilities in one, but it also included things like FTP. But, it failed, just like many other Apple technologies which were maybe just too ahead of its time. Other failed Apple technologies include the Newton, the eMate, and OpenDoc (this was the technology CyberDog relied on, and since OpenDoc failed, CyberDog failed).

Well, if you wanna know more, just ask.

irmongoose

well i wish they would make a revised version- and btw, u forgot the g4 cube!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.