Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old May 6, 2005, 04:11 AM   #1
spanagel
macrumors newbie

emac fan noise - Installing fanmate 2

has any0ne tried installing a zalman fanmate2 into an emac? Fanmate1 has been done http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools

I tried installing but fan wouldn't start.

Cheers for any help, just need to know which wires go together.
Paul
spanagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 10:57 AM   #2
Jigglelicious
macrumors 6502

I have a Fanmate installed in my eMac and it works great. I'm looking at a picture of the Fanmate 2, and it looks almost identical to the old one. The fanmate should be connected like this...

eMac --> Fanmate --> Fan

I'm not really sure what the confusing part is?
Old May 6, 2005, 11:03 AM   #3
topgunn
macrumors 65816

Its a little unusual actually, at least on my 3rd gen eMac (1.25GHz). The fan has a male connector instead of the female connector typically found. I also had to shave some of the plastic off of the fanmate 2 to get it to hook up together. With the male and female reversed, it was working backwards. The fan adjustment would not work for me but it did reduce the speed and noise by about 50% just by having it plugged in. I decided that the noise didnt bother me that much and took it out.
topgunn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 07:40 PM   #4
spanagel
macrumors newbie

Did you just plug in after reversing

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgunn
Its a little unusual actually, at least on my 3rd gen eMac (1.25GHz). The fan has a male connector instead of the female connector typically found. I also had to shave some of the plastic off of the fanmate 2 to get it to hook up together. With the male and female reversed, it was working backwards. The fan adjustment would not work for me but it did reduce the speed and noise by about 50% just by having it plugged in. I decided that the noise didnt bother me that much and took it out.
I did the same by reversing the plugs and shaving etc, but also changed the order of the connection of the cables as follows
I hooked it up as follows once reversed..
from fanmate to emac (male plug) as follows yellow to green - red to yellow - black to black.
from fanmate to emac - Female plug to fan = white to black - red to red - black to yellow.

Did you just shave the plugs and just plug them in?
Old May 6, 2005, 07:42 PM   #5
spanagel
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglelicious
I have a Fanmate installed in my eMac and it works great. I'm looking at a picture of the Fanmate 2, and it looks almost identical to the old one. The fanmate should be connected like this...

eMac --> Fanmate --> Fan

I'm not really sure what the confusing part is?
Confusing part is that by following the fanmate 1 instructions, the fan wouldn't even start up?
Old Mar 17, 2006, 09:55 AM   #6
razigal
macrumors newbie

Hello there!

Today I also tried to install Fanmate 2 in my G4 eMac 1.25 GHz. I used http://www.macbidouille.com/article.php?id=123 for learning how to do that. But i wasnt successfull, because the Plugs doesnt match. Is this the Problem of Fanmate 2 or of the new eMac? Are there other Fanregulators, which match to the eMac Fan?

Do i have to reverse the Plugs of Fanmate2? How can I do that?
razigal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 10:32 AM   #7
topgunn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by razigal
Hello there!

Today I also tried to install Fanmate 2 in my G4 eMac 1.25 GHz. I used http://www.macbidouille.com/article.php?id=123 for learning how to do that. But i wasnt successfull, because the Plugs doesnt match. Is this the Problem of Fanmate 2 or of the new eMac? Are there other Fanregulators, which match to the eMac Fan?

Do i have to reverse the Plugs of Fanmate2? How can I do that?
Do what spanagel suggested and reverse the wires. You can do this by cutting the wires and stripping off a bit of the insulation then switch the wires and finish with electrical tape.
topgunn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 04:11 PM   #8
chilitopper
macrumors newbie

Tried Fanmate 2

I was excited by the fan idea because I use my 1gig emac in a home recording studio. The quiet would be ideal for mixing sound so I bought a fanmate 2. I was able to do the reverse hookup and shaving of plastic, but apparantly the wires aren't the same colors as fanmate 1. I don't have a green wire on the fanmate. Without changing any wires, I was able to reduce fan volume by 50% like topgunn said, but I have no idea which wires to change.
Has anyone had success with fanmate 2 by changing the wires?

Thanks
chilitopper is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs