Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 12, 2011, 08:53 PM   #1
LWP777
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
How to change ID for iCloud?

So when setting up iCloud I inputed my Apple ID email which is different than my Mobile Me email. Now my Mobile Me hasn't synced up with iCloud. How do I change the ID for iCloud so that it's my Mobile Me .me email? When I go to Settings-Mail is doesn't give me the option to change it!
LWP777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 08:55 PM   #2
Yumunum
macrumors 65816
 
Yumunum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: U.S.
I want to do this too... But I think it might not be possible. I should be paying more attention to the forums
Yumunum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 09:07 PM   #3
jdguggs10
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston
Frustrating

Mine is currently set to another email that I want to stop using. It is mandatory for me that I am able to switch it to my mobile me email address. Hopefully someone can sort this out but it is quite frustrating to me right now.
jdguggs10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 09:26 PM   #4
dhy8386
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWP777 View Post
So when setting up iCloud I inputed my Apple ID email which is different than my Mobile Me email. Now my Mobile Me hasn't synced up with iCloud. How do I change the ID for iCloud so that it's my Mobile Me .me email? When I go to Settings-Mail is doesn't give me the option to change it!
Easy. Go under Settings>iCloud on your iPhone. Delete the iCloud account. When done, go back to Mail settings and add an iCloud account. Enter your MM credentials and now your master iCloud account is your MM account.

THIS IS ASSUMING YOU ALREADY MIGRATED YOUR MM TO ICLOUD!!!!!!

If you have not done that yet, you need to go to iCloud.com. Enter in your MM credentials. It will tell you it needs to migrate. Run through the steps. When done, do what i say above.
dhy8386 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 09:49 PM   #5
LWP777
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhy8386 View Post
Easy. Go under Settings>iCloud on your iPhone. Delete the iCloud account. When done, go back to Mail settings and add an iCloud account. Enter your MM credentials and now your master iCloud account is your MM account.

THIS IS ASSUMING YOU ALREADY MIGRATED YOUR MM TO ICLOUD!!!!!!

If you have not done that yet, you need to go to iCloud.com. Enter in your MM credentials. It will tell you it needs to migrate. Run through the steps. When done, do what i say above.
Yes, I just did that. Thank you. The problem is iCloud.com is stuck or something. It just keeps telling me to go to me.com to transfer but once I go there it just takes me to the "Find my iPhone" page.

I then just saw this on Apple's website:

System Status

MobileMe Moving from MobileMe to iCloud

Due to high demand, we are temporarily limiting the number of users moving from MobileMe to iCloud. Please try again later. We apologize for any inconvenience.
LWP777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:30 PM   #6
Candlelight
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Zealand
I get the error "your Apple ID is valid but it is not an iCloud account".

So... how I do I make my Apple ID access iCloud? It's not part of MobileMe so I'm not transferring or anything...
Candlelight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:32 PM   #7
LapsangSouchong
macrumors 65816
 
LapsangSouchong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: the burrows
I gave up and set up a new me.com address and migrated the old one to the new one using my mac. PITA but it worked.
__________________
I wish my lawn was emo so it would cut itself.
Air, Imac, Black/Slate iPhone 5 (GSM)
LapsangSouchong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:36 PM   #8
scottvanson
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Does the icloud email have to be your apple id

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhy8386 View Post
Easy. Go under Settings>iCloud on your iPhone. Delete the iCloud account. When done, go back to Mail settings and add an iCloud account. Enter your MM credentials and now your master iCloud account is your MM account.

THIS IS ASSUMING YOU ALREADY MIGRATED YOUR MM TO ICLOUD!!!!!!

If you have not done that yet, you need to go to iCloud.com. Enter in your MM credentials. It will tell you it needs to migrate. Run through the steps. When done, do what i say above.

my apple id for itunes etc will be different than my icloud id

is this a potential problem or does it not matter
scottvanson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:55 PM   #9
dhy8386
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottvanson View Post


my apple id for itunes etc will be different than my icloud id

is this a potential problem or does it not matter
I prefer it this way. Not a problem at all
dhy8386 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2011, 08:01 AM   #10
cappers
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by LapsangSouchong View Post
I gave up and set up a new me.com address and migrated the old one to the new one using my mac. PITA but it worked.
Exactly what I want to do. Can you explain how you did this. I have x2 @me emails (mistake when setting up!) accounts and want to use the 'other one' with my current apple ID.
can it be done?

thanks
cappers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2011, 08:11 AM   #11
LapsangSouchong
macrumors 65816
 
LapsangSouchong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: the burrows
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappers View Post
Exactly what I want to do. Can you explain how you did this. I have x2 @me emails (mistake when setting up!) accounts and want to use the 'other one' with my current apple ID.
can it be done?

thanks
You want to use a different me account than the one you're using?
Well, what I did was export the calendars in ical. Then create calendars in
@me. Then import in ical TO those new calendars.
Then with mail I set up both @me accounts in mail and for small folders did the drag and drop. For the inbox I created a rule in mail that said if to is @oldme move message to inbox @newme.
Address book took care of itself. Then in iCloud just added @newme.
__________________
I wish my lawn was emo so it would cut itself.
Air, Imac, Black/Slate iPhone 5 (GSM)
LapsangSouchong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:36 PM   #12
cappers
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by LapsangSouchong View Post
You want to use a different me account than the one you're using?
Well, what I did was export the calendars in ical. Then create calendars in
@me. Then import in ical TO those new calendars.
Then with mail I set up both @me accounts in mail and for small folders did the drag and drop. For the inbox I created a rule in mail that said if to is @oldme move message to inbox @newme.
Address book took care of itself. Then in iCloud just added @newme.
Lovely, think i need a spare afternoon for that. Very grateful and will give it a go
cappers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:22 AM   #13
LapsangSouchong
macrumors 65816
 
LapsangSouchong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: the burrows
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappers View Post
Lovely, think i need a spare afternoon for that. Very grateful and will give it a go
It's tedious. But a one time thing. Took me about 30 minutes.
__________________
I wish my lawn was emo so it would cut itself.
Air, Imac, Black/Slate iPhone 5 (GSM)
LapsangSouchong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 11:27 AM   #14
traveller09
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Mine is the opposite problem. I have a mobile me account but I never used the email address for anything. Now that MM is going away I want to set iCloud to my gmail address which I use for everything including iTunes. As I am trying to set up my new iCloud account it is defaulting me to MM address. Do I need to forget about my MM acount and just set up a new iCloud account using my gmail account? Or if I continue to set up iCloud will it allow me to change it later to from a MM address to a gmail address?
__________________
15" MacBook Pro, Mac Mini
iPad 2 3G
iPhone 6, and Samsung Galaxy S3 (for Work)
& A Rocking XBMC Media Center (new)
traveller09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can I change my Apple ID to @icloud.com? c073186 iCloud and Apple Services 4 Oct 30, 2013 07:22 AM
Change Apple ID to an @icloud.com Azy iCloud and Apple Services 13 Sep 5, 2013 09:54 PM
Change AppleID from @me.com to @icloud.com Danjb iCloud and Apple Services 2 Oct 29, 2012 05:01 AM
Change iCloud mail account associated w/ iCloud ID? (Note: not the actual iCloud ID) Mad Mac Maniac iCloud and Apple Services 5 Oct 2, 2012 12:10 PM
Where do I go to change iCloud password? davidlw iCloud and Apple Services 1 Jun 24, 2012 08:16 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC