Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Old Oct 12, 2011, 08:53 PM   #1
LWP777
macrumors member

How to change ID for iCloud?

So when setting up iCloud I inputed my Apple ID email which is different than my Mobile Me email. Now my Mobile Me hasn't synced up with iCloud. How do I change the ID for iCloud so that it's my Mobile Me .me email? When I go to Settings-Mail is doesn't give me the option to change it!
LWP777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 08:55 PM   #2
Yumunum
macrumors 65816

I want to do this too... But I think it might not be possible. I should be paying more attention to the forums
Yumunum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 09:07 PM   #3
jdguggs10
macrumors member

Frustrating

Mine is currently set to another email that I want to stop using. It is mandatory for me that I am able to switch it to my mobile me email address. Hopefully someone can sort this out but it is quite frustrating to me right now.
jdguggs10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 09:26 PM   #4
dhy8386
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWP777 View Post
So when setting up iCloud I inputed my Apple ID email which is different than my Mobile Me email. Now my Mobile Me hasn't synced up with iCloud. How do I change the ID for iCloud so that it's my Mobile Me .me email? When I go to Settings-Mail is doesn't give me the option to change it!
Easy. Go under Settings>iCloud on your iPhone. Delete the iCloud account. When done, go back to Mail settings and add an iCloud account. Enter your MM credentials and now your master iCloud account is your MM account.

THIS IS ASSUMING YOU ALREADY MIGRATED YOUR MM TO ICLOUD!!!!!!

If you have not done that yet, you need to go to iCloud.com. Enter in your MM credentials. It will tell you it needs to migrate. Run through the steps. When done, do what i say above.
dhy8386 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 09:49 PM   #5
LWP777
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhy8386 View Post
Easy. Go under Settings>iCloud on your iPhone. Delete the iCloud account. When done, go back to Mail settings and add an iCloud account. Enter your MM credentials and now your master iCloud account is your MM account.

If you have not done that yet, you need to go to iCloud.com. Enter in your MM credentials. It will tell you it needs to migrate. Run through the steps. When done, do what i say above.
Yes, I just did that. Thank you. The problem is iCloud.com is stuck or something. It just keeps telling me to go to me.com to transfer but once I go there it just takes me to the "Find my iPhone" page.

I then just saw this on Apple's website:

System Status

MobileMe Moving from MobileMe to iCloud

Due to high demand, we are temporarily limiting the number of users moving from MobileMe to iCloud. Please try again later. We apologize for any inconvenience.
LWP777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:30 PM   #6
Candlelight
macrumors 6502

I get the error "your Apple ID is valid but it is not an iCloud account".

So... how I do I make my Apple ID access iCloud? It's not part of MobileMe so I'm not transferring or anything...
Candlelight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:32 PM   #7
LapsangSouchong
macrumors 65816

I gave up and set up a new me.com address and migrated the old one to the new one using my mac. PITA but it worked.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:36 PM   #8
scottvanson
macrumors newbie

Does the icloud email have to be your apple id

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhy8386 View Post

my apple id for itunes etc will be different than my icloud id

is this a potential problem or does it not matter
scottvanson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:55 PM   #9
dhy8386
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottvanson View Post

my apple id for itunes etc will be different than my icloud id

is this a potential problem or does it not matter
I prefer it this way. Not a problem at all
dhy8386 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2011, 08:01 AM   #10
cappers
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LapsangSouchong View Post
I gave up and set up a new me.com address and migrated the old one to the new one using my mac. PITA but it worked.
Exactly what I want to do. Can you explain how you did this. I have x2 @me emails (mistake when setting up!) accounts and want to use the 'other one' with my current apple ID.
can it be done?

thanks
cappers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2011, 08:11 AM   #11
LapsangSouchong
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappers View Post
Exactly what I want to do. Can you explain how you did this. I have x2 @me emails (mistake when setting up!) accounts and want to use the 'other one' with my current apple ID.
can it be done?

thanks
You want to use a different me account than the one you're using?
Well, what I did was export the calendars in ical. Then create calendars in
@me. Then import in ical TO those new calendars.
Then with mail I set up both @me accounts in mail and for small folders did the drag and drop. For the inbox I created a rule in mail that said if to is @oldme move message to inbox @newme.
Address book took care of itself. Then in iCloud just added @newme.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:36 PM   #12
cappers
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LapsangSouchong View Post
You want to use a different me account than the one you're using?
Well, what I did was export the calendars in ical. Then create calendars in
@me. Then import in ical TO those new calendars.
Then with mail I set up both @me accounts in mail and for small folders did the drag and drop. For the inbox I created a rule in mail that said if to is @oldme move message to inbox @newme.
Address book took care of itself. Then in iCloud just added @newme.
Lovely, think i need a spare afternoon for that. Very grateful and will give it a go
cappers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:22 AM   #13
LapsangSouchong
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappers View Post
Lovely, think i need a spare afternoon for that. Very grateful and will give it a go
It's tedious. But a one time thing. Took me about 30 minutes.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 11:27 AM   #14
traveller09
macrumors member

Mine is the opposite problem. I have a mobile me account but I never used the email address for anything. Now that MM is going away I want to set iCloud to my gmail address which I use for everything including iTunes. As I am trying to set up my new iCloud account it is defaulting me to MM address. Do I need to forget about my MM acount and just set up a new iCloud account using my gmail account? Or if I continue to set up iCloud will it allow me to change it later to from a MM address to a gmail address?
& A Rocking XBMC Media Center (new)
traveller09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services