Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old May 2, 2005, 05:05 AM   #1
nsheikh80
macrumors regular

My first Mac: QuickSilver and Safari

Just want to thank everyone for posting on this forum, it has helped a lot!

I'm the owner of a brand new Powerbook 12" running Panther.

So far, I think I've been doing OK with finding my way around OS X. This is the first time I'm using a Mac since 1996!

However, I have 3 questions regarding QuickSilver and Safari.

1. I downloaded and installed QuickSilver. It is now in my Apps folder but double clicking on it doesn't do anything. How do I know if QuickSilver is

2. Safari auto completes URL's as I key them in. I really don't like this feature and always turned it off in IE and Firefox. Can anyone tell me how I can do that in Safari? I tried turning off all the Auto Complete features but no luck. I would still like Safari to remember my usernames and passwords though.

3. I saved my Bookmarks in Firefox as HTML. I cannot figure out how to import them into IE. My Firefox bookmarks are in a single HTML file.
nsheikh80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 01:52 PM   #2
Eniregnat
macrumors 68000

Re QuickSilver: It should just launch when clicked. Go to their forums. They can better help you there. (By printing this somebody will likely help you here.)

Safari only auto fills addresses from the history and the bookmarks. Clear the history, but really this dosn't bother me. Turn off the autofill for forms. Safari->Prefrences->AutoFill.

You may not be able to easly improt your bookmarks from FireFox to IE. IE is frozen in development for OSX. It dosn't look like MicroSoft will make it easy for you to import your bookmarks. Just put an IE bookmark to the HTML file that contains your FireFox bookmarks.

Anybody correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by Eniregnat; May 2, 2005 at 01:54 PM.
Eniregnat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 02:07 PM   #3
dotdotdot
macrumors 68020

Why would you need to use IE??
dotdotdot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 02:31 PM   #4
Eniregnat
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotdotdot
Why would you need to use IE??
Not to answer for nsheikh80. Some web pages don't show up right on any other browser. Some versions of Outlook Online require that the browser be IE (or at least they only work "well" on IE). Some companies require certain browsers to access certain portals. Lastly, hey- it's another tool in the tool box. Here is another browser to add your world. iCab. Once feature I like is that you can select TextOnly. The Omni Group has OmniWeb. It's a good browser. (Not all browsers are created equal, and before Tiger, screen readers were pretty finicky.)

I have looked around the internet, and it dosn't look like there is free thrid-party application. Search VersionTracker or HypperJeff. Perhaps even Tucows.com may have a solution.

Try this. It may sute your needs. Url Manager App

Last edited by Eniregnat; May 2, 2005 at 02:33 PM.
Eniregnat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 02:21 PM   #5
nsheikh80
macrumors regular

Thanks for all your help guys. Unfortunately I still cant get Quicksilver to work, when I double click the icon nothing happens. Does it do something in the background that is so subtle that I don't recognise it?

Also, is there any way to make certain apps the default apps in Mac OS X? For example, everytime I click on a URL I want Firefox to open and not Safari. Your help is appreciated.
Old May 5, 2005, 02:32 PM   #6
nsheikh80
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsheikh80
Thanks for all your help guys. Unfortunately I still cant get Quicksilver to work, when I double click the icon nothing happens. Does it do something in the background that is so subtle that I don't recognise it?

Also, is there any way to make certain apps the default apps in Mac OS X? For example, everytime I click on a URL I want Firefox to open and not Safari. Your help is appreciated.
No worries guys, I figured it all out.

I'm using this for default apps: http://www.rubicode.com/Software/Bun...l#RCDefaultApp
Old May 5, 2005, 02:37 PM   #7
Peyote
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Quicksilver doesn't do anything until you want to use it. I think the default hotkey for using it is pressing "Control-Space".

This should bring up the Quicksilver panel. The number of ways you can use it are too numerous to list, but for instance if you wanted to look up a phone number of someone in your Address Book you would do the following:

Control-Space to bring up QS.

Start typing any part of the person's name

If they are in your Address Book, QS will find it and show you the results in the "object" window. Pressing the Right Arrow key will show you all the info on that vCard.

Another example would be if you wanted to email a file to someone using Mail:

bring up QS

type in file name

when the file you want is selected, press tab to go to the action panel

press down until you select "Email To...(compose)"

Press Tab again to bring up the target panel

type the recipient's name or email, if it's in your Address Book, it will appear

Press Return, and an email will open up addressed to them with the file attached.

If you had selected "Email To...(send)", the file would automatically be sent without opening up a new message for you to edit or add to.

Last edited by Peyote; May 5, 2005 at 03:14 PM.
Peyote is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 03:19 PM   #8
Peyote
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Open Safari, click preferences...under the General tab you will find "Default Web Browser" click to change
Peyote is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 04:11 AM   #9
nsheikh80
macrumors regular

Thanks for your help. Figured out how to configure each file to open with a particular app, right click and go to Get Info.

I still can't get Quicksilver to work but I shall persevere.

Can anyone recommend good CD/DVD burning software? Does Mac OS X come with native CD/DVD burning support. I know you can burn inside iDVD and iTunes but I want to be able to make and burn images as well as individual files.
Old May 6, 2005, 04:43 AM   #10
nsheikh80
macrumors regular

I have a 160GB External HD which is formatted to NTFS. Mac OS X can read it fine but it wont allow me to write to it. Any ideas?
Old May 6, 2005, 09:27 AM   #11
nsheikh80
macrumors regular

Quote:
I have a 160GB External HD which is formatted to NTFS. Mac OS X can read it fine but it wont allow me to write to it. Any ideas?
Don't worry guys, I figure this one out. Mac OS X can't write to NTFS. Will format to FAT32.

Would appreciate some advice on burning CD/DVD.
Old May 6, 2005, 12:06 PM   #12
Rocky3478
macrumors regular

From what I've heard, Roxio Toast is the app of choice.
Rocky3478 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help