Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:30 PM   #1
sweetdiss
macrumors newbie

Free magazines/newspapers for Newsstand?

Hello all!

I was wondering if there were any magazines or newspapers that offered free subscriptions for Newsstand?

After all, there are several "real life" magazines that offer free subscriptions in print, so why not on iPad?
sweetdiss is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2011, 06:41 AM   #2
Caelum
macrumors newbie

I'm wondering this too, but it's because I have no intention of subscribing to anything with newsstand but I want something to fill it up as it looks stupid unused and it can't be put into folder to get rid of it.
Caelum is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2011, 07:16 AM   #3
thewitt
macrumors 68000

It can't be put into a folder because it is a folder.... If you open the store from within Newsstand you will find a bunch of free items
thewitt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2011, 07:22 AM   #4
palpatine
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitt View Post
It can't be put into a folder because it is a folder.... If you open the store from within Newsstand you will find a bunch of free items
EVERY apple icon goes into a folder EXCEPT for newsstand. very annoying for ocd people like me who don't want to be forced to look at crap on our screen. i think it is a bug, but if they want to consider it a folder, then it will be banished to its own screen far at the back.
palpatine is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:51 AM   #5
jsh1120
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by palpatine View Post
EVERY apple icon goes into a folder EXCEPT for newsstand. very annoying for ocd people like me who don't want to be forced to look at crap on our screen. i think it is a bug, but if they want to consider it a folder, then it will be banished to its own screen far at the back.
Even worse, you cannot put any but "approved" news apps in Newstand. Washington Post is a no-no, but NY Times can be included. And if that weren't bad enough, Newstand has abducted my New Yorker app and won't let it go. So now I have two folders, one of which holds nine news related apps, and Newstand which holds the New Yorker.

----------

Quote:
Actually, you'll find a "bunch of free" apps that do nothing but enable you to purchase individual editions of the magazines or subscribe to the magazine.
jsh1120 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:54 AM   #6
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
Even worse, you cannot put any but "approved" news apps in Newstand. Washington Post is a no-no, but NY Times can be included. And if that weren't bad enough, Newstand has abducted my New Yorker app and won't let it go. So now I have two folders, one of which holds nine news related apps, and Newstand which holds the New Yorker.
This is annoying, but I would think that all these apps are going to be in newsstand as soon as they get updated by their respective authors, and then this problem will go away. Well, maybe. I had a folder with things like BBC, NPR, and Fox News together with NYT and USA Today. I'm not sure the former apps will end up in Newsstand, although I would guess things like USA Today definitely would.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 04:07 PM   #7
VPrime
macrumors 68000

Currently news stand is only for paid subscriptions.. Magazine apps which offer free subscriptions are not allowed in news stand.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 04:14 PM   #8
Broric
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPrime View Post
Currently news stand is only for paid subscriptions.. Magazine apps which offer free subscriptions are not allowed in news stand.
That's not true. Metro Tablet Edition (the digital version of a free UK newspaper) is in there and is free.
Broric is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2011, 05:38 PM   #9
Mugwamp
macrumors newbie

Why is there a charge for virtual magazines

I agree that there should be more free mags for newsstand and you should be able to drop any subscription into the newsstand app.

I don't understand why they are charging subscription fees (other than to make more money). I always thought that newspapers and magazines made their money from the advertising, and the only reason there is a cost at the stand is to pay for the printing, distribution and retail markup.

------
just my 2 bits

Mugs
------
There are 10 types of people;
those who understand binary
and those that do not.
Mugwamp is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2011, 05:44 PM   #10
Caelum
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I understand WHY it can't be put into a folder, I was merely complaining about that fact. And those items are not free, if you open them you will see they all have subscription rates listed.
Caelum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:53 PM   #11
AJsAWiz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to AJsAWiz
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post

----------

Actually, you'll find a "bunch of free" apps that do nothing but enable you to purchase individual editions of the magazines or subscribe to the magazine.
Yeah, I saw that and the subscription terms for some magazines, like MacLife, seem confusing to me. Has anyone purchased a single edition or subscription for any of these magazines? If so, what did you think? I, previously used Zinio but have deleted it. I also noted that some magazines gave the iPad edition to "print subscribers". Wonder if those showed up on News Stand.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:36 PM   #12
Colors6
macrumors member

Is the daily the only affordable newspaper on newsstand?

I'm not crazy about paying more than 99 cents a week to read a quality newspaper.
Colors6 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:41 PM   #13
Votekinky06
macrumors 6502

It can be put into a folder. Check out the article on either the front page or the iOS blog, it explains how there
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:41 PM   #14
Votekinky06
macrumors 6502

Here: http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/13/...d-in-a-folder/
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:23 PM   #15
palpatine
macrumors 68040

yay! now newstand is in my apple bloatware folder
byebye. won't see you until the next update!
palpatine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 01:47 AM   #16
Roy G Biv
macrumors 6502

New York Times offers their Top Stories and Most E-mailed stories (I think?) for free to everyone within their app. It may not sound like much, but it's at least an hour's worth of high-quality content every day. It has an attractive layout for tablets.
Roy G Biv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 07:06 PM   #17
fricotin
macrumors member

The September edition of Autoweek is free.
fricotin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 07:49 PM   #18
Ashwood11
macrumors 65816

I downloaded the free Popular Science and it had a preview and the button to buy a subscription. I was surprised by how many articles were included in the preview. I imagine that varies from magazine to magazine.
Ashwood11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 06:15 PM   #19
Caelum
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwood11 View Post
I downloaded the free Popular Science and it had a preview and the button to buy a subscription. I was surprised by how many articles were included in the preview. I imagine that varies from magazine to magazine.
I'd like to have a look at the Popular Science newsstand app but can't find it. I've scrolled through the lists but can't see it and a search for 'Popular Science' brings up several results but none seem to be for newsstand.

Also, thanks Votekinky06 for the link!
Caelum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2011, 05:30 PM   #20
MikeFairbanks
macrumors newbie

I exiled newsstand to its own screen. It won't let me do anything I want.
MikeFairbanks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:30 PM   #21
Ecoh
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJsAWiz View Post
I also noted that some magazines gave the iPad edition to "print subscribers". Wonder if those showed up on News Stand.
I am a print subscriber to National Geographic and they give the digital edition for free to print subscribers. It does appear in the Newsstand.
Ecoh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 03:22 PM   #22
DaveGee
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecoh View Post
I am a print subscriber to National Geographic and they give the digital edition for free to print subscribers. It does appear in the Newsstand.
This is nice to know.... Also I've read about other publications that give free digital access to print-n-mail subscribers but then I've also sorta remember how some publications flip flopped on this offering .... New Yorker maybe?

Anyway if anyone has an up to date list please post.
DaveGee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 01:51 AM   #23
Arminas1781
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I put the newsstand app in a folder, so it can be put into a folder
Arminas1781 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 02:15 AM   #24
jokerz126
macrumors regular

The Daily..

I am a print subscriber of WIRED and it shows up in Newstand.....
I am wondering about The Daily..i'm thinking of subscribing...does anyone know if you subscribe, can you access it on any device connected to your itunes account, or do they seriously expect you to pay PER DEVICE? I can't seem to find this info anywhere

Thanks
jokerz126 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 08:18 PM   #25
pashafans
macrumors newbie

Free magazines/newspapers for Newsstand?

I'm also looking for this info, but lots of them are not free.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps