Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sweetdiss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Hello all!

I was wondering if there were any magazines or newspapers that offered free subscriptions for Newsstand?

After all, there are several "real life" magazines that offer free subscriptions in print, so why not on iPad?

Caelum

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2007
Australia
I'm wondering this too, but it's because I have no intention of subscribing to anything with newsstand but I want something to fill it up as it looks stupid unused and it can't be put into folder to get rid of it.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
It can't be put into a folder because it is a folder.... If you open the store from within Newsstand you will find a bunch of free items

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
It can't be put into a folder because it is a folder.... If you open the store from within Newsstand you will find a bunch of free items

EVERY apple icon goes into a folder EXCEPT for newsstand. very annoying for ocd people like me who don't want to be forced to look at crap on our screen. i think it is a bug, but if they want to consider it a folder, then it will be banished to its own screen far at the back.

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
EVERY apple icon goes into a folder EXCEPT for newsstand. very annoying for ocd people like me who don't want to be forced to look at crap on our screen. i think it is a bug, but if they want to consider it a folder, then it will be banished to its own screen far at the back.

Even worse, you cannot put any but "approved" news apps in Newstand. Washington Post is a no-no, but NY Times can be included. And if that weren't bad enough, Newstand has abducted my New Yorker app and won't let it go. So now I have two folders, one of which holds nine news related apps, and Newstand which holds the New Yorker.

----------

Actually, you'll find a "bunch of free" apps that do nothing but enable you to purchase individual editions of the magazines or subscribe to the magazine.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Even worse, you cannot put any but "approved" news apps in Newstand. Washington Post is a no-no, but NY Times can be included. And if that weren't bad enough, Newstand has abducted my New Yorker app and won't let it go. So now I have two folders, one of which holds nine news related apps, and Newstand which holds the New Yorker.

This is annoying, but I would think that all these apps are going to be in newsstand as soon as they get updated by their respective authors, and then this problem will go away. Well, maybe. I had a folder with things like BBC, NPR, and Fox News together with NYT and USA Today. I'm not sure the former apps will end up in Newsstand, although I would guess things like USA Today definitely would.

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
Currently news stand is only for paid subscriptions.. Magazine apps which offer free subscriptions are not allowed in news stand. :(

Broric

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2009
Currently news stand is only for paid subscriptions.. Magazine apps which offer free subscriptions are not allowed in news stand. :(

That's not true. Metro Tablet Edition (the digital version of a free UK newspaper) is in there and is free.

Mugwamp

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2011
Alberta
Why is there a charge for virtual magazines

I agree that there should be more free mags for newsstand and you should be able to drop any subscription into the newsstand app.

I don't understand why they are charging subscription fees (other than to make more money:cool:). I always thought that newspapers and magazines made their money from the advertising, and the only reason there is a cost at the stand is to pay for the printing, distribution and retail markup. :confused:

------
just my 2 bits

Mugs
------
There are 10 types of people;
those who understand binary
and those that do not.

Caelum

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2007
Australia

I understand WHY it can't be put into a folder, I was merely complaining about that fact. And those items are not free, if you open them you will see they all have subscription rates listed.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio

----------

Actually, you'll find a "bunch of free" apps that do nothing but enable you to purchase individual editions of the magazines or subscribe to the magazine.

Yeah, I saw that and the subscription terms for some magazines, like MacLife, seem confusing to me. Has anyone purchased a single edition or subscription for any of these magazines? If so, what did you think? I, previously used Zinio but have deleted it. I also noted that some magazines gave the iPad edition to "print subscribers". Wonder if those showed up on News Stand.

Colors6

macrumors member
May 8, 2011
Is the daily the only affordable newspaper on newsstand?

I'm not crazy about paying more than 99 cents a week to read a quality newspaper.

Votekinky06

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2011
It can be put into a folder. Check out the article on either the front page or the iOS blog, it explains how there

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
yay! now newstand is in my apple bloatware folder :)
byebye. won't see you until the next update!

Roy G Biv

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2010
New York Times offers their Top Stories and Most E-mailed stories (I think?) for free to everyone within their app. It may not sound like much, but it's at least an hour's worth of high-quality content every day. It has an attractive layout for tablets.

Ashwood11

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2010
US
I downloaded the free Popular Science and it had a preview and the button to buy a subscription. I was surprised by how many articles were included in the preview. I imagine that varies from magazine to magazine.

Caelum

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2007
Australia
I downloaded the free Popular Science and it had a preview and the button to buy a subscription. I was surprised by how many articles were included in the preview. I imagine that varies from magazine to magazine.

I'd like to have a look at the Popular Science newsstand app but can't find it. I've scrolled through the lists but can't see it and a search for 'Popular Science' brings up several results but none seem to be for newsstand.

Also, thanks Votekinky06 for the link!

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA
I also noted that some magazines gave the iPad edition to "print subscribers". Wonder if those showed up on News Stand.

I am a print subscriber to National Geographic and they give the digital edition for free to print subscribers. It does appear in the Newsstand.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
I am a print subscriber to National Geographic and they give the digital edition for free to print subscribers. It does appear in the Newsstand.

This is nice to know.... Also I've read about other publications that give free digital access to print-n-mail subscribers but then I've also sorta remember how some publications flip flopped on this offering .... New Yorker maybe?

Anyway if anyone has an up to date list please post. :)

jokerz126

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
The Daily..

I am a print subscriber of WIRED and it shows up in Newstand.....
I am wondering about The Daily..i'm thinking of subscribing...does anyone know if you subscribe, can you access it on any device connected to your itunes account, or do they seriously expect you to pay PER DEVICE? I can't seem to find this info anywhere

Thanks

pashafans

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2011
Free magazines/newspapers for Newsstand?

I'm also looking for this info, but lots of them are not free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.