Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeBilbao

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
I consider the MacBook Air the best laptop I've ever owned and it's really beautiful, but if you use it on the go, it grabs too much attention from others and you can't get unnoticed. The aluminum matte finish and the illuminated Apple logo on the back certainly force to stare at it... and I don't like this when I'm at work.

Even though the aluminum Unibody frame is strong, it's easy to get it scratched or if you hit it on the side you can get a dent. I experienced this with the 2010 model I've recently upgraded, and I'll try to avoid this to the new 2011 unit.

2j287ko.jpg

I was using a Tucano Second Skin. Nice and simple, but when I need the laptop I have to unzip it and get it out of the bag and it offers zero protection when using the MBA, so I started the research for a new case.

After reading some reviews and played some youtube videos, I discovered that Incipio makes a similar model than the one I use for my iPhone: the Incipio Feather, so I went for it. It's lightweight, extremely thin and I like a lot it's texture, it isn't plastic and it's a soft rubber that is pleasant to touch. It can get some fingerprints on it, but I can live with them even though I consider myself very demanding on this kind of things.

You can get all the specs in http://www.myincipio.com/MacBook-Air-13in-Cases-Accessories/Incipio-MacBook-Air-13in-feather-Ultralight-Hard-Shell-Case.asp. It's available in 5 different colors and I decided to go for the black one.

Here in Spain you can get it at Macnificos for 42,90 € + 4,90 € shipping. A total amount of 47,80 € (USD $65)

Luckily, Amazon UK lists it for as low as £22.99, a total amount of 37 € (USD $50), shipped by Royal Mail, not the fastest courier but I wasn't in a hurry.

Here it is side by side with the one I've chosen for the iPad 2: the Proporta Leather Protective Case with Stand. My wife uses it a lot and we can't get used to the Smart Cover so I took advantage of a recent 20% discount offered on all Apple accesories and ordered it for 38 € (USD $52). It's a nice folio case made with real leather.

2uy52e8.jpg

The Feather case offers total protection and it only leaves access to the external ports: on the left side the Magsafe power port, one USB 2.0 - it could have been USB 3.0! - and the audio in/out port.

nfofo4.jpg

On the right side the Thunderbolt port, second USB and the SD card reader.

23w4s9u.jpg

Build quality is excelent, with perfect fitting. When opened you can see that there's nothing disturbing. You open your MacBook Air and what I like most is that you get exactly the same front view as if you weren't wearing the case.

5z1pxu.jpg

If you look at it from the top when running, the illuminated Apple logo has gone away, exactly what I was looking for.

316b4v8.jpg

The velvet-like rubberized surface is really pleasant to touch, and on the bottom it has a perforated ventilation area.

ifqy3s.jpg

I also like that there are no exagerated logos. It has one at the top and one at the bottom, but they are barely noticed.

2nkrnyd.jpg

Here it's with the same protection for the iPhone, and you can guess some fingerprints on both of them. The laptop case is recently bought, but the iPhone is heavily used in a daily basis and I can live with this level of fingerprints.

2lkbbdh.jpg

IMHO it's a great solution for protecting the MacBook Air.

:):):)

Last edited:

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
Great post, thank you for taking the time to write and post the photo's.

(To the Sheriff: No, it shouldn't be in the accessories section, it's regarding his air. It's good it's here, then MBA owners actually bump into it. So, is that alright with you now?)

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Great post, thank you for taking the time to write and post the photo's.

(To the Sheriff: No, it shouldn't be in the accessories section, it's regarding his air. It's good it's here, then MBA owners actually bump into it. So, is that alright with you now?)

Calm down, Skippy. It's about an accessory for the Air.

Lovely photos.

GD0X

Mar 20, 2011
This was a great case; sold my air. 2 complaints though. First, with all knowledge known beforehand, I was disappointed they did not allow the apple logo to shine through, no biggie. My second complaint is actually rather painful. Snapping the case on was very simple, although taking it off was a pain in the A$$. There was no simple way to take off, I had to apply a tremendous amount of force for the small clips to disengage. So much, I literally cut my thumb on multiple occasions, nothing deep, but a drop of blood nevertheless. just wtf. I'm sending them an email sooner or later asking for a refund, my cuts for one, but a few of the clips broke as well.

It's a great case but taking it off is painfulllllll.

vegablk

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Nice review. I just bought the speck case from apple but i think i'm going to return it. I had to take the case off once to bring the MBA back to the apple store and after removing it once every clip seems loose. I also like the idea of the apple logo not shining through.

Does anyone know of a hard shell sleeve that can be used in conjunction with this case? While the incipio/speck cases are good for the home/officem, when I travel I like to have an extra layer of protection around my laptop.

will0407

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2006
Nice review. I just bought the speck case from apple but i think i'm going to return it. I had to take the case off once to bring the MBA back to the apple store and after removing it once every clip seems loose. I also like the idea of the apple logo not shining through.

Does anyone know of a hard shell sleeve that can be used in conjunction with this case? While the incipio/speck cases are good for the home/officem, when I travel I like to have an extra layer of protection around my laptop.

i use a colca sac sleeve, and before that a be.ez la robe. Both work fine with my speck case on

molala

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Cambridge, UK
Great review and photos, thanks! Never thought of a shell case for my MBA, but this tempting me. It looks great plus when I'm in a public place, I do want my MBA to be less obvious.

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Incepio cases for the iphone/ipod touch are great! this one looks like its made of that nice to the touch feeling material. The only thing is that its such a strong black that I feel it takes away from the macs original beauty.

I probably need to see it in action to give a full opinion.

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I've had the Feather for my 13" MBA for about two weeks. I use my MBA almost exclusively on my lap or sitting on the couch next to me and the two issues I'm having are:

1) Added bulk to the back of the LCD means the screen falls down if you pick up/set down the computer a lot like me. So you end up constantly readjusting the screen and I'm worried about added hinge wear.

2) The outside clips by the track pad come undone if you pick the MBA by its corners with the screen unfolded. Since I pick the computer up a lot it's kind of annoying and could cause wear marks.

I have sort of adjusted to it so I'm noticing these issues less. If you use your MBA mostly on a desktop none of this would matter. I'm debating selling it and going with a matte clear guard and sleeve combo. I don't do a ton of travel with the MBA so I don't really need the superior protection of the Feather.

Last edited:

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Having just nicked my Air last night :(, this review comes a day late. heh. The nick isn't too bad, no one but me will notice at least.

Anyways, a couple questions:

1. How easy is it use? Can I put the air into the case and remove it often? Or is it annoying (do it once and leave it type of case)?

2. Is it easy to clean? I have the original iPad and that original iPad case from Apple. It looks like the same material is used in this mba case. The iPad case is a huge pain to clean (in fact, I still haven't figured out how to make it all black again).

edit: btw. thx for the review.

vegablk

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
I've had the Feather for my 13" MBA for about two weeks. I use my MBA almost exclusively on my lap or sitting on the couch next to me and the two issues I'm having are:

1) Added bulk to the back of the LCD means the screen falls down if you pick up/set down the computer a lot like me. So you end up constantly readjusting the screen and I'm worried about added hinge wear.

2) The outside clips by the track pad come undone if you pick the MBA by its corners with the screen unfolded. Since I pick the computer up a lot it's kind of annoying and could cause wear marks.

I have sort of adjusted to it so I'm noticing these issues less. If you use your MBA mostly on a desktop none of this would matter. I'm debating selling it and going with a matte clear guard and sleeve combo. I don't do a ton of travel with the MBA so I don't really need the superior protection of the Feather.

I noticed the same issues with the Speck Case, so i guess this is an issue with hard shell's in particular and not just the incipio cases.

In any event if you are going to wind up selling the case anytime soon i would love to give it a try and compare it to the speck case. shoot me a PM in any event.

MimicBunion972

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
Having just nicked my Air last night :(, this review comes a day late. heh. The nick isn't too bad, no one but me will notice at least.

Anyways, a couple questions:

1. How easy is it use? Can I put the air into the case and remove it often? Or is it annoying (do it once and leave it type of case)?

2. Is it easy to clean? I have the original iPad and that original iPad case from Apple. It looks like the same material is used in this mba case. The iPad case is a huge pain to clean (in fact, I still haven't figured out how to make it all black again).

edit: btw. thx for the review.

I have some input to your question:
1. It is easy to install but next to impossible to remove. I actually cracked it when removing it for returning. If you are planning to remove it often, look for something else.
2. I guess it is easy to clean. I use a lens cloth to clean up finger prints.

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
In any event if you are going to wind up selling the case anytime soon i would love to give it a try and compare it to the speck case. shoot me a PM in any event.

Will do. I can confirm this case does work with the Moshi Palmguard if you adjust its position up about 1/4mm. Just install the case and then "butt" the palm guard up against the Feather's clips.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ohlias

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2011
Canada
I've got the incipio as well and I can confirm that it is nice, but is very difficult to remove. I've tried and have not succeeded. Wish I could get it off sometimes. However, it does protect the Air.

I also find it added some slight weight to the hinge and also seems to slightly catch at the back when opening...

Still happy to have it, but If I could have one that was easy to remove, I'd be happier.

kamuix

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
california
I have the case for a 2010 mba and it's great. Not many issues, does attract finger marks like the op said. The only minor thing is that there's a bit of plastic really close to the mini-display port. It forces the one i bought to stick out and not sink in totally. While it still works, kinda wish it was flush all the way in. Other than that it's great. I don't think people with the thunderbolt port are having these issues since the port is a bit smaller?

kulimer

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2011
This is a pretty good protection. I only want the bottom piece only, to protect it when it is on the table. I don't want the top piece. Where can I get it?

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
It may seem backwards, but it really bothered me how easily InCase scratches. I had dozens of white scratches from a Timbuk2 bag! The removal was also quite frightening; requiring a great bit of strength to release clips. Final nail for me was the Thunderbolt port was obstructed by the case.

Aboo

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
This is a pretty good protection. I only want the bottom piece only, to protect it when it is on the table. I don't want the top piece. Where can I get it?

I think you will have to order both because its only sold as a set. Perhaps you should buy the set and sell of the top if someone may want that.

kulimer

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2011
I think you will have to order both because its only sold as a set. Perhaps you should buy the set and sell of the top if someone may want that.

Why don't they sell on the the bottom only? Because they there there is no market, or they want to pay more? That thing is not cheap.

Aboo

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Why don't they sell on the the bottom only? Because they there there is no market, or they want to pay more? That thing is not cheap.

Probably because there is no market for it. Not many people want only the bottom or only the top. It is expensive but they do have a bunch of coupons that are always active for anywhere from 10 to 30% off. I think the one running currently is FBFAN2011 which gives 15% off...

vegablk

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
ive had my incipio feather now for a few days. i have 2 main issues with it that i didnt not have with the speck

1. I hear a clicking noise coming from the rear of the laptop now when i open and close the lid. i know this was a known issue and it seems to be working itself out but it should still be mentioned

2. Fingerprints! lots of them

i like it better then the speck though. nice black color and the soft touch finish is awesome. i wound up buying the feather for my iphone4s and Nexus S also

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
I may try Incipio. Speck is junk, bottom tabs broke off within one month, totally unusable. If you buy a Speck make sure to keep the receipt, you'll need it for an exchange if you want a warranty exchange. I may go back to the Radtech sleeve, although I'm a little nervous about torsional flexing of the Air in my backpack with a lot of books-- especially the Air screen, which seems to be pretty fragile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.