Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jordanogrady

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
I'm struggling to understand how I can get all this working, basically we have 2 iPhones, 2 mobile me emails, and 1 mac...

Currently me and the wife use the same calendar, it helps us manage my business, she has my email me account on her phone, and has the calendar option on (nothing else) this enables us to share calendars, and everything updates well... now the introduction of i cloud, is there any way we can use the mac as the main calendar, and run 2 separate email accounts for the same base calendar? If so how? I don't want to lose everything....

Basically when she turns on her "find my iPhone" it won't allow it under her account as it says that my calendars are turned on and cant sync with 2 accounts..

Anyone any wiser?

Thanks
Jordan

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Not sure i understand the problem but...

You would both convert your MM to iCloud accounts. You were account@me.com and your wife is account1@me.com. I assume you have 10.7.2. on your mac.

You have two options:

1) I assume you have one iTunes AppleID for shared content? Call this shared@me.com. If you both want to have the same photo stream, doc sharing, features, convert this iTunes AppleID to an iCloud account as well - meaning use it as the iCloud login when you set up your phones. This account can be your new shared calendar. No add your iCloud account to your phone and you can even add her iCloud account. Turn on the desired services. So maybe you enable email, calendar, and contacts, and reminders. Even if you don't want to use your own calendar, maybe you want the option. On her account, maybe you are just enabling reminders since you don't want her personal email but she wants your. No she does same thing on her device only she enables your mail as well. All stared calendar entries go under the main iCloud account which was shared@me.com. You then set this up the same way on the Mac.

2) Each use your converted MM to iCloud accounts as the master iCloud account on your respective devices. Then each of you adds the others iCloud account. Since your calendar is the shared calendar, she can add you calendar as well as your email and reminders and contacts. She can enable whatever she wants for herself. On the Mac, you set up you account@me.com as the master iCloud account and you can also add her account1@me.com if necessary. The Mac will use your calendar and contacts and you can make this the primary.

Make sense?

jordanogrady

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
Hi, yeah thanks for that...

We both have seperate me accounts, and both have seperate iTunes accounts...

I am getting a little confused with it all... (doesn't take much) but I'm guessing if there is a way to run 2 me(iCloud) accounts on one mac, this will sync all the calendars??

We don't need each others emails or anything else, just calendars!

I havnt set iCloud up just yet as I didn't way to duplicate all calendars on all devices...

I'm not sure it will allow us to have 2 accounts running on the same device? Won't there be a sync conflict?

----------

Infact, it wont allow it, she already has my @me account on her device, she then set up iCloud, and when she turns on find my iPhone it says that my @me account will be turned off on her device... This is what was causing us the problem...

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Hi, yeah thanks for that...

We both have seperate me accounts, and both have seperate iTunes accounts...

I am getting a little confused with it all... (doesn't take much) but I'm guessing if there is a way to run 2 me(iCloud) accounts on one mac, this will sync all the calendars??

We don't need each others emails or anything else, just calendars!

I havnt set iCloud up just yet as I didn't way to duplicate all calendars on all devices...

I'm not sure it will allow us to have 2 accounts running on the same device? Won't there be a sync conflict?

----------

Infact, it wont allow it, she already has my @me account on her device, she then set up iCloud, and when she turns on find my iPhone it says that my @me account will be turned off on her device... This is what was causing us the problem...

I'm learning too but using my MobileMe experience, you should each be able to set up an iCloud account using your perspective @me accounts. You would log onto MobileMe and follow the migrate instructions. You need to run the software update on your computer first which installs 10.7.2 or something like that.

Then just create a shared calender for your business that you both can see and update. That's what jobs showed off in his keynote... "soccer calendar".

You guys could also chose to use just one Apple Store ID so you can both have purchased content rather than buying it twice.

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
You set up one iCloud as the primary account. You can then add another iCloud account through the Email settings and turn on Calendar and Contacts for that account.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-10-13 at 2.53.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-10-13 at 2.53.05 PM.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 103
  • settings.jpg
    settings.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 2,466

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Not sure i understand the problem but...

You would both convert your MM to iCloud accounts. You were account@me.com and your wife is account1@me.com. I assume you have 10.7.2. on your mac.

You have two options:

1) I assume you have one iTunes AppleID for shared content? Call this shared@me.com. If you both want to have the same photo stream, doc sharing, features, convert this iTunes AppleID to an iCloud account as well - meaning use it as the iCloud login when you set up your phones. This account can be your new shared calendar. No add your iCloud account to your phone and you can even add her iCloud account. Turn on the desired services. So maybe you enable email, calendar, and contacts, and reminders. Even if you don't want to use your own calendar, maybe you want the option. On her account, maybe you are just enabling reminders since you don't want her personal email but she wants your. No she does same thing on her device only she enables your mail as well. All stared calendar entries go under the main iCloud account which was shared@me.com. You then set this up the same way on the Mac.

2) Each use your converted MM to iCloud accounts as the master iCloud account on your respective devices. Then each of you adds the others iCloud account. Since your calendar is the shared calendar, she can add you calendar as well as your email and reminders and contacts. She can enable whatever she wants for herself. On the Mac, you set up you account@me.com as the master iCloud account and you can also add her account1@me.com if necessary. The Mac will use your calendar and contacts and you can make this the primary.

Make sense?

Nice write up!

I'm going to try this because I would like the shared photo streaming option which would work on our AppleTV which is tied to our Apple Store ID.

jordanogrady

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
Thanks for the info guys! Great help!

I will give it a whirl, and see what I can come up with!

Jordan

----------

You guys could also chose to use just one Apple Store ID so you can both have purchased content rather than buying it twice.

In relation to this, will we lose all the "already purchased" content?

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010
i think people are asking for trouble trying to share icloud accounts.... your better off having seperate accounts and choosing a calender to share with each other.

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
i think people are asking for trouble trying to share icloud accounts.... your better off having seperate accounts and choosing a calender to share with each other.

Many people want to share photostreams which can't be done that way. also in iPhoto, it will only show one photosteam so sharing the iCloud is preferable.

The real workaround is:

1) Create an iCloud shared account. This is for shared photo stream and Find my iPhone
2) Every other user create their own iCloud accounts. This is to manage their personal info. If people want to share calendars and reminders, add each's iCloud account and turn on those features. The shared, master iCloud account would have cal, email, contacts, notes all off. Again just shared for the two key features.

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010
Many people want to share photostreams which can't be done that way. also in iPhoto, it will only show one photosteam so sharing the iCloud is preferable.

The real workaround is:

1) Create an iCloud shared account. This is for shared photo stream and Find my iPhone
2) Every other user create their own iCloud accounts. This is to manage their personal info. If people want to share calendars and reminders, add each's iCloud account and turn on those features. The shared, master iCloud account would have cal, email, contacts, notes all off. Again just shared for the two key features.
ahhh... good idea. but how do you set up a secound icloud account?

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
ahhh... good idea. but how do you set up a secound icloud account?

Either on your mac through iCloud panel or:

On your device, assuming one is set up for iCloud already, go into Settings>Mail, Calendar, etc. Add an iCloud account. When it asks for credentials, look at bottom of screen and it will allow you to create a new applied for iCloud.

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010
Either on your mac through iCloud panel or:

On your device, assuming one is set up for iCloud already, go into Settings>Mail, Calendar, etc. Add an iCloud account. When it asks for credentials, look at bottom of screen and it will allow you to create a new applied for iCloud.

thanks got it! do you have this system tested yet?

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
thanks got it! do you have this system tested yet?

Well i am a developer so i have been testing this for awhile - hence why i feel like i have been on these boards the last two days doing Apple tech support. But they really did a poor job explaining this and thinking through use case problems so i want to help as many people get it right.

Mine and my wife's iCloud have been set up for two weeks. Here is our setup:

1) Two separate iCloud accounts, although my iCloud account is also our shared iTunes store AppleID. FWIW, the only downside to this is that she has the password to both the iTunes appleID and my iCloud since its the same ID. But i trust her :)

2) I first migrated to MM at iCloud.com
3) Set up my iCloud on my device
4) Set up her new iCloud ID on my device (i created it for her by adding another iCloud account).
5) Then upgraded her to iOS5. Added this new iCloud account.
6) Then added my iCloud account to her phone to share our calendars and reminders. I also managed the Find my iPhone through my account so i turned it off on hers and on under my iCloud account on her phone.
7) Set both our phones to use the same iTunes Store AppleID - again also my iCloud ID
8) Her phone is set not auto download apps or books. Mine is set to auto download everything since i use those much much more than she does.
9) On our iMac (mackintosh actually, shhh), I am not using photostream. I don't like the fact that either of our picture could auto show up in iPhoto. Rather, i just like the auto backup feature of photostream should a phone get lost or stolen.

There you go.

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010
genious !!!

just to confirm.... i have my own itunes/icloud account. My wife has hers... My issue was the constant login/logoff on pc to have photos downloaded to it. I can simply set photos to goto new @me account and keep everthing else seperate?

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
genious !!!

just to confirm.... i have my own itunes/icloud account. My wife has hers... My issue was the constant login/logoff on pc to have photos downloaded to it. I can simply set photos to goto new @me account and keep everthing else seperate?

Yup. So long as you both use that new @me account as your main iCloud account as far as the device is concerned.

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010
it's a great system, but very complicated and I'm a previous MobileMe user. I don't even want to think how confused the masses will be...

last question since you are one of the only ones here that know what's going on...
as I understand, photostream albums on our devices will delete in 30 days if that picture is not saved to the device, correct? if so, what about photos that download to the pc? do I have to manually save them or are they there for good?

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
it's a great system, but very complicated and I'm a previous MobileMe user. I don't even want to think how confused the masses will be...

last question since you are one of the only ones here that know what's going on...
as I understand, photostream albums on our devices will delete in 30 days if that picture is not saved to the device, correct? if so, what about photos that download to the pc? do I have to manually save them or are they there for good?

If you set, in photo stream settings, to auto import all your photo stream pics then they are saved. So when if you delete them or they are just deleted after 30 days, they are there.

Of course i haven't actually tested this but i did test auto import which seemed to work fine. So i am sure if i deleted the photo stream account they would still be there since they were auto pulled into my main photo library.

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010
If you set, in photo stream settings, to auto import all your photo stream pics then they are saved. So when if you delete them or they are just deleted after 30 days, they are there.

Of course i haven't actually tested this but i did test auto import which seemed to work fine. So i am sure if i deleted the photo stream account they would still be there since they were auto pulled into my main photo library.

wheres that setting at? iCloud on pc?

natasha69

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
Well i am a developer so i have been testing this for awhile - hence why i feel like i have been on these boards the last two days doing Apple tech support. But they really did a poor job explaining this and thinking through use case problems so i want to help as many people get it right.

Mine and my wife's iCloud have been set up for two weeks. Here is our setup:

1) Two separate iCloud accounts, although my iCloud account is also our shared iTunes store AppleID. FWIW, the only downside to this is that she has the password to both the iTunes appleID and my iCloud since its the same ID. But i trust her :)

2) I first migrated to MM at iCloud.com
3) Set up my iCloud on my device
4) Set up her new iCloud ID on my device (i created it for her by adding another iCloud account).
5) Then upgraded her to iOS5. Added this new iCloud account.
6) Then added my iCloud account to her phone to share our calendars and reminders. I also managed the Find my iPhone through my account so i turned it off on hers and on under my iCloud account on her phone.
7) Set both our phones to use the same iTunes Store AppleID - again also my iCloud ID
8) Her phone is set not auto download apps or books. Mine is set to auto download everything since i use those much much more than she does.
9) On our iMac (mackintosh actually, shhh), I am not using photostream. I don't like the fact that either of our picture could auto show up in iPhoto. Rather, i just like the auto backup feature of photostream should a phone get lost or stolen.

There you go.

I did something similar.

I have a MM account already, which I migrated to iCloud. I also created one MASTER icloud account.

On the iphones,

1) I added the icloud account as the MASTER. I setup that account to sync:

CONTACTS
PHOTOSTREAM
DOCUMENTS & DATA
BACKUP

2) I added our individual MM accounts (which are now iCloud accounts) and setup those accounts to sync:

MAIL (we each have our own mail)
CALENDAR (we each have our own calendar)
REMINDERS (")