Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

longsilver

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
I have synced iCal on Snow Leopard with my iCloud iCal. So far, I have got all the calendars and events to show up on the 10.6 Mac, but I haven't yet tested syncing from the 10.6 machine to iCloud and on to my 10.7 Mac. I don't have an iOS device so I can't test that.

On the 10.7 Mac I still have iSync. I kept it so that I can sync with an old mobile phone. With iCloud set up for iCal 5.0.1 on the 10.7 Mac, I opened iSync and looked at the calendars listed under the device (my old mobile phone). The list allows you to select which calendars you want to sync to the device, listing each one. In my case, each calendar entry on that list now takes the form:

<Calendar Name>[<AppleID email address>@<iCloud CalDav server name>]

My <iCloud CalDav server name> is <p06-caldav.icloud.com> but your mileage may vary for that one. (Omit the angle brackets when you're actually entering these things.)

I made a note of the part in square brackets above and then switched to the 10.6 Mac, where I opened iCal 4.0.4. There I selected iCal>Preferences… and hit the Accounts tab. I clicked + to create a new account and selected CalDav as Account type. Then I entered the following:

User name: <AppleID email address>
Password: AppleID password
Server address: <iCloud CalDav server name>

Next I clicked create. The account loaded all my iCloud calendars into the sidebar in iCal 4.0.4, listed under the heading of my AppleID email address.

I'm not sure how this could be done without iSync on the 10.7 machine, but I'm sure that a copy iSync can be found somewhere by those who really want it. I'll leave that up to you.

----------

I just tested push syncing from 10.6 to 10.7 and vice versa and both work fine.

Can someone test this with an iOS device and let us know how they get on? Thanks.

PS

If you don't have iSync then it may be possible to get the server address from one of the info.plist files inside your Library>Calendars folder in Lion. (If you can't see that folder in Finder then select Go>Go To Folder… and then enter

~/Library/

and hit Go.) In that Library folder look in Calendars and then check the folder that ends .caldav - on my 10.7 Mac there's an info.plist file in there that mentions the correct server for me.

I've written this up here: http://skangerland.blogspot.com/2011/10/how-to-get-ical-with-icloud-working-in.html
I'll keep that updated with anything else I can figure out. Thanks.

Last edited:

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I have synced iCal on Snow Leopard with my iCloud iCal. So far, I have got all the calendars and events to show up on the 10.6 Mac, but I haven't yet tested syncing from the 10.6 machine to iCloud and on to my 10.7 Mac. I don't have an iOS device so I can't test that.

On the 10.7 Mac I still have iSync. I kept it so that I can sync with an old mobile phone. With iCloud set up for iCal 5.0.1 on the 10.7 Mac, I opened iSync and looked at the calendars listed under the device (my old mobile phone). The list allows you to select which calendars you want to sync to the device, listing each one. In my case, each calendar entry on that list now takes the form:

<Calendar Name>[<AppleID email address>@<iCloud CalDav server name>]

My <iCloud CalDav server name> is <p06-caldav.icloud.com> but your mileage may vary for that one. (Omit the angle brackets when you're actually entering these things.)

I made a note of the part in square brackets above and then switched to the 10.6 Mac, where I opened iCal 4.0.4. There I selected iCal>Preferences… and hit the Accounts tab. I clicked + to create a new account and selected CalDav as Account type. Then I entered the following:

User name: <AppleID email address>
Password: AppleID password
Server address: <iCloud CalDav server name>

Next I clicked create. The account loaded all my iCloud calendars into the sidebar in iCal 4.0.4, listed under the heading of my AppleID email address.

I'm not sure how this could be done without iSync on the 10.7 machine, but I'm sure that a copy iSync can be found somewhere by those who really want it. I'll leave that up to you.

----------

I just tested push syncing from 10.6 to 10.7 and vice versa and both work fine.

Can someone test this with an iOS device and let us know how they get on? Thanks.

PS

If you don't have iSync then it may be possible to get the server address from one of the info.plist files inside your Library>Calendars folder in Lion. (If you can't see that folder in Finder then select Go>Go To Folder… and then enter

~/Library/

and hit Go. In that Library folder look in Calendars and then check the folder that ends .caldav - on my 10.7 Mac there's an info.plist file in there that mentions the correct server for me.

I'll try this when I get home from work. Thanks!

longsilver

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Glad it's working.

I've tried setting up a CardDAV Account in Address Book on my 10.6 Mac, but I can't get it to work. I'm using my AppleID email address and password as the user name and password, but whatever I use for server address returns a "couldn't discover the account settings" error when I try to create.

On the 10.7 Mac there's a Configuration.plist file inside ~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook/Sources/[YaddaYadda]/ that lists a server in the format:

https://<AppleID email address>@p06-contacts.icloud.com:443/<user number?>/carddavhome/card/<YaddaYadda>.vcf

I've tried variations on that as the server address for the CalDAV account in Address Book on 10.6 but none of them has worked.

Last edited:

blackfeathers

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2008
i tried this independently earlier today after finding the server for ical on icloud.

it seemed to be working, but had a slight lag. then, i started getting duplicates for some reason. after squaring away the double entries manually i tried unsuccessfully with sync -tried push, every minute, manually. but, after i deleted the account from ical on snow leopard and re-entered it again, exited ical and restarted, everything seems to be working fine now.

i'm moving my calendar usage to icloud and no longer using local calendar to prevent a potential bug that could be causing the duplicates i've experienced.

my changes to ical are almost instant on all ios devices they're synced to -ipad, iphone, & mac machine.

after a brief search to see what others are doing, i found this thread.

so, re-cap:

1. if there's syncing/update issues, delete the icloud account from ical preferences and add it back again with the info provided in this thread.

2. if there's duplicates, migrate to using icloud strictly to see if that will prevent future double entries.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Works perfectly on my iOS 5 iPhone and my iCal. I setup an appointment on iCal with a reminder, and it went off on my iPhone.

Thank you, longsilver!!

Huey Gnash

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
omg omg omg omg! this has been bothering me for 2 days now.
It Finally Worked!!

All i did was add calendar on my MBP's (10.6.8) iCal (4.0.4)
enter in...

User Name: <my iCloud name @me.com>
Password:<my iCloud password>
Server Address: <p06-caldav.icloud.com>

Ta DA!

spincycle14

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2011
This worked for me too, but I needed to do something first. This might be helpful for folks who use a Gmail address as their Apple ID.

When I tried setting up the CalDAV account in iCal using my Gmail Apple ID, iCal set up the account using http://www.google.com as the server address, and consequently imported calendars from my Google account (which I don't use)! I tried to experiment with different server addresses and login credentials, but to no avail.

Here's how I was able to make it work. iCloud users get a free @me.com email account, so I set that up (I have no intention of using it for email). All of my existing iCloud calendar entries were immediately linked to that email account as well. Then I set up the CalDAV account in iCal using my new @me.com email address and password, and bingo! All of my iCloud calendar items appeared in iCal.

So, to sum up. If you're having trouble getting iCloud items into iCal with your current (non-Apple) login information, try the following:
1) Create the free @me.com account to which you are entitled as an iCloud user.
2) Create a new CalDAV account using your new @me.com credentials and the server address listed in this thread.
3) Enjoy!

Thanks again for helping me find this great solution!

bombardier.v2

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
Thank you SO much longsilver - I'm not ready to go to 10.7 yet but foolishly migrated to iCloud from MobileMe without thinking it through :-(

I'll just add contacts online for the time being I think!

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
Thanks for that, just set up using your suggestion of <p06-caldav.icloud.com> and it works. Like others I had some duplicate entries but that's because I had all the boxes ticked in the sidebar of iCal - obviously you mess about with the ticks to get your info in the right place.
Many thanks to the OP.

6254565100_dcc0407315_m.jpg

Just for info this was on snow leopard 10.6.8 on MBP, iPad2 and Touch 4g both on iOS5

srexy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2006
This worked for me too, but I needed to do something first. This might be helpful for folks who use a Gmail address as their Apple ID.

When I tried setting up the CalDAV account in iCal using my Gmail Apple ID, iCal set up the account using http://www.google.com as the server address, and consequently imported calendars from my Google account (which I don't use)! I tried to experiment with different server addresses and login credentials, but to no avail.

Here's how I was able to make it work. iCloud users get a free @me.com email account, so I set that up (I have no intention of using it for email). All of my existing iCloud calendar entries were immediately linked to that email account as well. Then I set up the CalDAV account in iCal using my new @me.com email address and password, and bingo! All of my iCloud calendar items appeared in iCal.

So, to sum up. If you're having trouble getting iCloud items into iCal with your current (non-Apple) login information, try the following:
1) Create the free @me.com account to which you are entitled as an iCloud user.
2) Create a new CalDAV account using your new @me.com credentials and the server address listed in this thread.
3) Enjoy!

Thanks again for helping me find this great solution!

Thank you for this - my apple ID was a gmail address and it didn't work until I got the .me address.

rmanke

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2008
Does anyone know the url to the Cardav server address so we can get this working with Address Book as well?

aliris

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2008
thankyouthankyouthankyou

I am so impressed and thankful. I do not have this quite working yet as so far I've just overlain everything from icloud onto my 10.6 ical, but I imagine I can do as another suggested and delete all the old ical stuff and get this working.

This is all at the very edge of the grasp of my consciousness of understanding, but your detailed explanation has permitted even me, with such tenuous internet capabilities, to begin to fathom the world of syncing.

Thank you.

(I've only ever used the online calendar and can't figure out how to keep anything synced properly but think I may be within shooting distance of understanding this all now...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.