Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kaptajn Haddock

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2007
Denmark
I know its their first day and so on, but it seems to me Apple has a new me.com disaster on their hands with icloud.com

-Mail doesn't work
-Calender works occasionally
-People are confused whether to use their Apple ID og having to create a me.com mail only for icloud use.
-problems with backup

For crying out loud, they built a data center for this. Fix this soon, or I won't even bother to google for answers as to how I can migrate from google calender to iCloud.

At least Steve doesn't have to do the embarrasing task once again, explaining on stage, that next time they will do better. Or that this time they have done it right. WRONG!

Last edited:

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Mail works great for me. Cal works great. Took a photo from my iPhone and it showed up on my MBP in iPhoto under Photo Stream. I do not recall videos ever being mentioned as part of Photo Stream....I have backed up my iPhone over Wi Fi and synced over Wi FI three times today, no problem.

Seems like user error on your end, you may want to go back and revist your set up. Regarding the ID issue, there is a document on the Apple site that clearly spells out what to do and which ID to use. For me it was clear, my .me id is my iCloud ID used for sync across my devices and computers. My Apple ID which is my gmail address is for purchases only. Easy to set up, once and done.

Lucbert

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2008
Same Problems here. Mail is not working at all, now all my sent emails suddenly disappeared from the web interface. Mail.app on my Mac says it can't connect to the server and Push on the iPhone doesn't work. Have tried a couple of time, none of my mail gets pushed to the iPhone i have to manually download it.
Backup doesn't work at all, have tried it many times. It doesn't even give me error messages or anything, it just says 6 hours remaining and when I check back a couple of hours later (iPhone connected to Wifi and Power the entire time) it just says "Last Backup: Never"

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I know its their first day and so on, but it seems to me Apple has a new me.com disaster on their hands with icloud.com

-Mail doesn't work
-People are confused whether to use their Apple ID og having to create a me.com mail only for icloud use
-No photos in iCloud
-No videos in iCloud
-problems with backup

For crying out loud, they built a data center for this. Fix this soon, or I won't even bother to google for answers as to how I can migrate from google calender to iCloud.

At least Steve doesn't have to do the embarrasing task once again, explaining on stage, that next time they will do better. Or that this time they have done it right. WRONG!

-Mail works
-Calendar [and reminders] work
-How you manage to get confused over that is beyond me - get an @me.com mail address if you want to use the mail through iCloud, if not - just log in with your Apple ID (and oh, the @me.com address works as your Apple ID, same password). It was dead obvious for me at least.
-Photo Stream works great
-Where did you get the idea that videos would be in the cloud from?

But, backups... It works great on my iPhone, but doesn't seem to work with my iPod. I wonder if it's because I set up the iPhone as a new device and the iPod touch from the latest backup...

Kaptajn Haddock

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2007
Denmark
What arrogance. This forum is flooding with threads about iCloud problems. So because you don't have any, its peoples own fault?! I listed the problems, not all of them are mine. I only have problems with Mail.

Lucbert

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2008
Many people are reporting problems with mail especially.
Are you sure your Mail is working correctly? Is push working for you?

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2011
Servers are getting hammered and it's normal its a new service and everyone is getting there at once

Kaptajn Haddock

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2007
Denmark
Many people are reporting problems with mail especially.
Are you sure your Mail is working correctly? Is push working for you?

On iCloud.com when clicking Mail I keep getting an error, and send a report to Apple.

In Calendar I can add new events and they sync across devices, but invites don't get sent (Mail error as well I guess).

----------

Servers are getting hammered and it's normal its a new service and everyone is getting there at once

Yes, I know, but Apple should have predictet that, and perhaps launched iCloud one country at a time. Right now the whole iCloud world is trying to access, backup and play with iCloud at the same time.

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Yep...

-Mail doesn't work
-People are confused whether to use their Apple ID og having to create a me.com mail only for icloud use.
-problems with backup

Same here

Massive problems with Mail servers not recognising my password.

"The iCloud IMAP server “p99-imap.mail.me.com” rejected the password for user “xxxxxxx”

Enter your password again or cancel.

Yes, done that, thanks. Didn't work.

And yeah, thanks to the guys posting the 'you're obviously an idiot' posts here. That's just about as helpful as a kick in the n*ts, but at least we can sleep well tonight knowing that your superior Mac capabilities have in fact nothing to do with whether this works or not.
You're brilliant.

mysticbluebmw

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
Mail works great for me. Cal works great. Took a photo from my iPhone and it showed up on my MBP in iPhoto under Photo Stream. I do not recall videos ever being mentioned as part of Photo Stream....I have backed up my iPhone over Wi Fi and synced over Wi FI three times today, no problem.

Seems like user error on your end, you may want to go back and revist your set up. Regarding the ID issue, there is a document on the Apple site that clearly spells out what to do and which ID to use. For me it was clear, my .me id is my iCloud ID used for sync across my devices and computers. My Apple ID which is my gmail address is for purchases only. Easy to set up, once and done.
-Mail works
-Calendar [and reminders] work
-How you manage to get confused over that is beyond me - get an @me.com mail address if you want to use the mail through iCloud, if not - just log in with your Apple ID (and oh, the @me.com address works as your Apple ID, same password). It was dead obvious for me at least.
-Photo Stream works great
-Where did you get the idea that videos would be in the cloud from?

But, backups... It works great on my iPhone, but doesn't seem to work with my iPod. I wonder if it's because I set up the iPhone as a new device and the iPod touch from the latest backup...

Oh, then you must be right. The other tens of thousands of people are just thick. Thanks for your insight.

Anyway....the servers are definitely having trouble right now. My mail delivery is sporadic. Push works on and off. My imap folders sync...sometimes. I'll go 10-20 minutes with smooth sailing, and then all of sudden I can't connect to the email server. I made the mistake of migrating my gmail folders to icloud (kept a copy on gmail still, though) and thought I could just use icloud from now on. I should have realized this was going to take a bit to sort out first. I'm still good, though. I've got gmail and google sync for the time being.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I have to agree that it's another example of Apple failing to anticipate demand properly. Not only is iCloud only working sporadically, but MobileMe is not really working either (presumably because of the load on the servers caused by migrations) - Email is up and down and iCal times out connecting to my calendars

I would have thought that after the complete disaster of the MobileMe launch, Apple would have learned their lesson and be able to scale things a bit better, but it seems they haven't...

No, it isn't "normal" - why should users accept a sub-standard roll-out just because it's Apple?

Lucbert

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2008
This sucks, I was stupid enough to completely switch to iCloud yesterday and now I can't even sent or receive mail. Just horrible. I am supposed to send out some important stuff and now I can't access the contacts.
After the MobileMe disaster it really was more than stupid to switch on the first day but I couldn't get myself to wait... :/

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
This sucks, I was stupid enough to completely switch to iCloud yesterday and now I can't even sent or receive mail. Just horrible. I am supposed to send out some important stuff and now I can't access the contacts.
After the MobileMe disaster it really was more than stupid to switch on the first day but I couldn't get myself to wait... :/

I decided to wait to switch, but the iCloud rollout is also affecting MobileMe (at least for me) - mail is sporadic and calendars aren't connecting at all...

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I just love not being able to access the email service I paid for (yes, I paid for MobileMe and my subscription would NOT have run out yet).

Attachments

• cannotloadmail.png
    cannotloadmail.png
    213.8 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

Tremaine

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2004
Same problems here. Really excited to get to iCloud and should have waited for the kinks to get worked out.

Things were fine yesterday, but woke up to my mail no longer accepting my password on any of my devices.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I guess you're overreacting because you're already frustrated, so let me explain.

The guy said that certain functions are not working and made it out to be some kind of objective truth, when the truth is they're working, but clearly not for everyone - which most likely is because of the servers being under immense pressure right now. Not really the best time to say that it's a failure, wait for a week or two until the servers are under normal pressure.

I'm not saying the mail is working for everyone, I'm saying it works for me and that the judgement "it's a disaster" is a bit over the top.

And yes, if you're confused over the @me.com address, I'd claim you're either a right daft mare or you haven't even tried to read about it.

coz

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2008
at least with the mobilme disaster I could access my email on the phone or mac. Nothing works at the moment right now.

Lucbert

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2008
I guess you're overreacting because you're already frustrated, so let me explain.

The guy said that certain functions are not working and made it out to be some kind of objective truth, when the truth is they're working, but clearly not for everyone - which most likely is because of the servers being under immense pressure right now. Not really the best time to say that it's a failure, wait for a week or two until the servers are under normal pressure.

I'm not saying the mail is working for everyone, I'm saying it works for me and that the judgement "it's a disaster" is a bit over the top.

And yes, if you're confused over the @me.com address, I'd claim you're either a right daft mare or you haven't even tried to read about it.

Easy for you to say since your mail works. But imagine not being able to access you contacts on any of your devices and not being able to reply to mail that is important to you. Your'd be pissed, too.

My Mail doesn't even say that my password is incorrect, it says connection timed out. Is this different than the password error? Is there a way to fix this?

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Easy for you to say since your mail works. But imagine not being able to access you contacts on any of your devices and not being able to reply to mail that is important to you. Your'd be pissed, too.

Of course I would, and I'm a bit annoyed over not being able to backup my iPod to iCloud (especially since it works great with the iPhone).

But what do you mean you can't access your contacts on any of your devices? I can access my contacts even with the phone/iPod in flight mode...

McRCN

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2010
Virginia
Same here

Massive problems with Mail servers not recognising my password.

"The iCloud IMAP server “p99-imap.mail.me.com” rejected the password for user “xxxxxxx”

Enter your password again or cancel.

Yes, done that, thanks. Didn't work.

I was getting that message all morning until a few minutes ago. I am receiving mail now and I am no longer getting that message.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
iCloud/iOS5 is working fine for, it was just confusing to get used to. It's still confusing, but there have not been any glitches for me as of yet.

Lucbert

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2008
Of course I would, and I'm a bit annoyed over not being able to backup my iPod to iCloud (especially since it works great with the iPhone).

But what do you mean you can't access your contacts on any of your devices? I can access my contacts even with the phone/iPod in flight mode...

I don't know they are gone but they are on the iCloud website. But since Mail isn't working it doesn"t help much.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I don't know they are gone but they are on the iCloud website. But since Mail isn't working it doesn"t help much.

Ah, maybe you set it up to sync your contacts from iCloud and not from the computer (to avoid double entries) and never got to sync the contacts back from iCloud... Sync them with your computer again and they should be there :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.