Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AudiGuy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2005
what is the best program to burn DVDs with. im looking for any program that will make my DVD-R work with most DVD players

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
I've always had a lot of success with Toast 6, it'll burn VIDEO_TS folders created in DVD Studio Pro to DVDs that'll play on my PS2 and other DVD players.

iDVD and DVDSP both do a good job as well.

Please keep this thread to the discussion of the apps, not the specifics of duplicating/ripping copyright material.

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
In my opinion Toast 6 was a pretty lackluster upgrade, Roxio stopped caring I think. I switched to NTI Dragon Burn, almost all the functionality of Toast(in many ways better functionality) and a fraction of the price at $40. Also it has a cool dragon logo. I got my copy for nothing with my external DVD-RW drive from Other World Computing(vs the 80 bucks I got torn from my soul with Toast 6).

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
I'm considering Toast 6

WinterMute said:
I've always had a lot of success with Toast 6, it'll burn VIDEO_TS folders created in DVD Studio Pro to DVDs that'll play on my PS2 and other DVD players.

iDVD and DVDSP both do a good job as well.

Please keep this thread to the discussion of the apps, not the specifics of duplicating/ripping copyright material.

I've been a bit reluctant to purchase Toast 6 Titanium. It's been out for quite a while now. Does anyone know if there will be a new version released in the near future?t

andysmith

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2004
West Mids, UK
I use Toast 6 for burning, and MacTheRipper and DVD2OneX for rip/compression. If you're just burning the VIDEO_TS folder, the Finder will be fine though.
Sizzle is quite good for authoring basic DVDs with menus (not as restrictive as iDVD), but requires the footage in MPEG - so you'll need to convert it with FFMpegX or something if you're burning AVI.

DaveP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
Does anyone know how Toast or other Mac programs compare to Windows programs? I'm may be getting my hands on an external burner and could use my Windows and/or Mac machine for burning.

Thanks.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
amac4me said:
I've been a bit reluctant to purchase Toast 6 Titanium. It's been out for quite a while now. Does anyone know if there will be a new version released in the near future?t

No updates on the horizon - I think they're up to .7 or so now for Toast 6...

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Oh, and personally, my DVD toolkit consists of Handbrake, MacTheRipper, DVD2OneX and Toast. I love Handbrake, and DVD2OneX comes in handy so often! With that quartet of apps, there's nothing I can't do! :cool:

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
~Shard~ said:
Oh, and personally, my DVD toolkit consists of Handbrake, MacTheRipper, DVD2OneX and Toast. I love Handbrake, and DVD2OneX comes in handy so often! With that quartet of apps, there's nothing I can't do! :cool:

i use exactly the same apps...i'm so looking forward to handbrake being updated to include h.264 encoding (i'm just hoping, don't know if this will actually happen).

anyway, to keep on topic...i've found toast a bit more reliable than dragonburn...it's also up to 6.0.9 and does DL burns if you need it.

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
Another Vote for Roxio

I use Toast and Popcorn quite often; although, Popcorn and Toast have been tanking a bit lately... we'll see what future updates bring.

Mac The Ripper and Popcorn seem like a match made in heaven, but the recent "The drive reported an error" message is getting on my nerves: making coasters when burining DVD's is not cheap...

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
kugino said:
i use exactly the same apps...i'm so looking forward to handbrake being updated to include h.264 encoding (i'm just hoping, don't know if this will actually happen).

Handbrake already support h.264 using the x264 encoder...

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
one thing you also need to remember is the discs you use..

i used to use apple discs (they were just *too* cool ;) ) but i found they were incompatible with lots of dvd players. i then started using sony discs, and not only are they cheaper, but they work with most dvd players (i haven't had one fail yet..)

hope this helps!

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
A question about Mac TheRipper. The description on VersionTracker has something about making the dvd rip region free. If I was to buy a dvd online from Amazon that was encoded to play in the US only, could I use Mac TheRipper to rip it and re-encode it as region 4 (for here in .au), without having to play with the region code settings on my Mac?

If this is true, I will be buying a few more DVD's I think.

aussie_geek

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
My 15" PB with Panther: Toast 6 Tatanium (works without problems), Popcorn (works withtout problems)
My 12" PB with Tiger" Popcorn with a recent patch (works without problems: I just copied 2 DVDs for my personal backups after using MacTheRipper)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Balin64 said:
making coasters when burining DVD's is not cheap...

Really?

(Thought I'd link to our good friends at Tiger since they're supposedly getting less business now, what with OS X Tiger knocking them down a few notches on the Google search results... ;))

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
aussie_geek said:
A question about Mac TheRipper. The description on VersionTracker has something about making the dvd rip region free. If I was to buy a dvd online from Amazon that was encoded to play in the US only, could I use Mac TheRipper to rip it and re-encode it as region 4 (for here in .au), without having to play with the region code settings on my Mac?

If this is true, I will be buying a few more DVD's I think.

aussie_geek

My understanding is yes, this would work perfectly for you. MacTheRipper can remove all region-encoding, and re-encode it in whatever regions you like. So, for instance, if I have a Region 1 DVD here, I can make it compatible in all regions, or just regions 1, 2, 3 and 6, for example. The only thing you have to keep in mind is that you can make the rip region-less (i.e. Region 0 encoding), but some DVDs players don't like Region 0 discs - you might be better off to re-encode it and individually select each region, 1 through 8, to be on the safe side.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Artful Dodger said:
Same tools but I've never used Handbrake yet, maybe someday ;)

Handbrake is amazing, I highly recommend it, and have never had any problems with it. Definitely use it someday - you're missing out. ;)

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
dubbz said:
Handbrake already support h.264 using the x264 encoder...

yes, i just downloaded version 7 today...i think i'd been using ver. 5 so i'm looking forward to this update...my 2-pass conversion should be done in...about 23 hours?? :)

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
kugino said:
yes, i just downloaded version 7 today...i think i'd been using ver. 5 so i'm looking forward to this update...my 2-pass conversion should be done in...about 23 hours?? :)

heh, yep: handbrake 7 (or rather h.264) is *incredibly* slow at encoding. good luck!

andysmith

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2004
West Mids, UK
I've just upgraded Handbrake from 0.7 to 0.8b3. I ripped a DVD in MTR, then used Handbrake to encode one of the chapters in H.264. On my PowerBook, I was getting around 4fps - it took AGES to encode 2 mins of video. The results were extremely impressive though.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
andysmith said:
I've just upgraded Handbrake from 0.7 to 0.8b3. I ripped a DVD in MTR, then used Handbrake to encode one of the chapters in H.264. On my PowerBook, I was getting around 4fps - it took AGES to encode 2 mins of video. The results were extremely impressive though.

hmmm...is this a limited beta-test for 0.8? any difference from 0.7?

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
~Shard~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful Dodger
Same tools but I've never used Handbrake yet, maybe someday

Handbrake is amazing, I highly recommend it, and have never had any problems with it. Definitely use it someday - you're missing out.

I shall try this week and see how well and (by what others have said) how long it takes since I'll have the time to use Handbrake :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.