Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:32 AM   #1
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

2 photostreams, 1 Mac: Is it possible?

My wife and I will both have seperate iCloud accounts on our respective iPhones. Is there any way for both of our photostreams to automatically go to iPhoto on our joint Macbook?

I would also like to be able to view her photostream on my iPhone and iPad if possible, but the Macbook is much more important.
Apple TV owner since 2012 | Apple Watch owner since 2016 (anticipated)
Mad Mac Maniac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:45 PM   #2
malnar
macrumors 6502a

No one responded to this? No one else at least had this question too? Well, I do - my wife and I are in exactly the same position and I'm completely perplexed how Apple could have messed this up. Seriously, NO ONE in Apple thought there might be multiple iDevices in a family that they might want to feed into one Photostream? I just don't get it. I feel like I must be missing something, yet I can't find anything to support it working the way it seems like it should.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:06 PM   #3
jfrancis04
macrumors 6502a

Just ran into the exact same issue.

Anyone found a fix?

EDIT: Just found this after messing around with the iCloud settings for a bit.

When trying to switch to my wife's iCloud account..."This is not your primary iCloud account. Only your primary account can use bookmarks Photo Stream, Find my Mac, or iCloud Storage."

Last edited by jfrancis04; Oct 13, 2011 at 10:12 PM.
jfrancis04 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:33 PM   #4
Tearabite
macrumors regular

Our solution is to use two iCloud/photostreams, but one iPhoto library.
Tearabite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:00 PM   #5
jfrancis04
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearabite View Post
Our solution is to use two iCloud/photostreams, but one iPhoto library.
But is there any way to make both photo streams appear in the one iPhoto library?
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:06 PM   #6
BeckyG
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malnar View Post
No one responded to this? No one else at least had this question too? Well, I do - my wife and I are in exactly the same position and I'm completely perplexed how Apple could have messed this up. Seriously, NO ONE in Apple thought there might be multiple iDevices in a family that they might want to feed into one Photostream? I just don't get it. I feel like I must be missing something, yet I can't find anything to support it working the way it seems like it should.
Husband and I are having the same issue...lurking here for a fix...
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:16 PM   #7
thomamon
macrumors 6502a

Can't find a fix.

Does this means my wife account is not backing up to iCloud?
Old Oct 14, 2011, 07:53 AM   #8
jfrancis04
macrumors 6502a

This pretty much sucks. My wife and I were looking forward to NOT having to upload any picture manually. Guess one of us will just have to live with it.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 08:24 AM   #9
MotionxxUSxx
macrumors 6502

Looking for a solution as well. This sucks.
MotionxxUSxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 08:49 AM   #10
Tearabite
macrumors regular

more info on how we do it, and the results.

We share an iMac and have separate logins.
We have a shared iPhoto Library on a mounted image
We both have separate iClouds and Photostreams

I open iPhoto: i see all of our shared photos and MY photostream. The pics from my photostream are automatically copied into an iPhoto event

She opens iPhoto: She sees all of her photos in her photostream, and the photos from my photostream that are now in an event (she cant actually see my photostream). All of her photstream is copied into an event in iPhoto

I open iPhoto and I can now see what was copied from her photostream into an event.
Tearabite is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 08:58 AM   #11
BeckyG
macrumors member

This explanation was very helpful. I was thinking about doing two logins on our MacBook to solve this...you confirmed it. I'll try it tonight. Thank you!
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:16 AM   #12
protobiont
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyG View Post
This explanation was very helpful. I was thinking about doing two logins on our MacBook to solve this...you confirmed it. I'll try it tonight. Thank you!
I wonder if this will work on a PC as well. Although, will the computer have to be logged in to the account before it will download the photostream? Very annoying.
protobiont is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:18 AM   #13
malnar
macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the tips, guys. That'll have to do for now. Unfortunately this is no easier, and may actually be harder, than just connecting the iPhones directly prior to having Photostream. It totally defeats the purpose, that's for sure, chaining users to computers in order to make sure photos are stored away the right way. Totally ridiculous. Really, really cannot believe Apple flubbed this so badly.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 02:18 PM   #14
bTaryag
macrumors member

I too have this problem... waiting for a proper solution.
bTaryag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 03:39 PM   #15
volfan615
macrumors newbie

I'm waiting on a good solution for this also. It seems like the iCloud developers on had single people in mind.
volfan615 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 03:45 PM   #16
yalag
macrumors 6502a

theres no solution, u each need a separate mac login with a different iphoto account. that's what im doing
yalag is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:00 PM   #17
volfan615
macrumors newbie

Yep that is what I figured out. I setup a common iCloud account. Then I made this common account the primary iCloud account on each device and only selected photostream from the list. Then I added our individual accounts to each device for email, contacts, calendar, etc. So far this seems to be doing everything I want it to.

The key is that the common account has to be the first one you setup whether on the mac, iphone, ipad, etc. You can delete your individual account, add the common account and then add the individual account back.
volfan615 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:33 AM   #18
HereInAndyland
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearabite View Post
more info on how we do it, and the results.

We share an iMac and have separate logins.
We have a shared iPhoto Library on a mounted image
We both have separate iClouds and Photostreams

I open iPhoto: i see all of our shared photos and MY photostream. The pics from my photostream are automatically copied into an iPhoto event

She opens iPhoto: She sees all of her photos in her photostream, and the photos from my photostream that are now in an event (she cant actually see my photostream). All of her photstream is copied into an event in iPhoto

I open iPhoto and I can now see what was copied from her photostream into an event.
I've tried this and it works...kind of. My photos show up in my user's iPhoto and my wife's show up in hers, but only until I check mine again then hers disappear. Also, mine show up in hers, but hers don't show up in mine.

Do you leave her user logged in all the time so the changes register? I know you don't want to leave both instances of iPhoto open at the same time.

Any ideas would be awesome.

Last edited by HereInAndyland; Oct 16, 2011 at 04:07 PM.
HereInAndyland is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 07:29 PM   #19
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by volfan615 View Post
Yep that is what I figured out. I setup a common iCloud account. Then I made this common account the primary iCloud account on each device and only selected photostream from the list. Then I added our individual accounts to each device for email, contacts, calendar, etc. So far this seems to be doing everything I want it to.

The key is that the common account has to be the first one you setup whether on the mac, iphone, ipad, etc. You can delete your individual account, add the common account and then add the individual account back.
Hmmm... But then you share the same 5gb of iCloud for backups and all documents in the cloud....
Old Oct 16, 2011, 07:39 PM   #20
yalag
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mac Maniac View Post
Hmmm... But then you share the same 5gb of iCloud for backups and all documents in the cloud....
yea exactly its the most retarded solution ive heard thus far. All my documents will be shown to everyone else
yalag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 09:26 PM   #21
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by yalag View Post
yea exactly its the most retarded solution ive heard thus far. All my documents will be shown to everyone else
Well I wouldn't say that... In a lot of cases it's nice to share documents. And even if I wouldn't need to share documents I certainly wouldn't mind sharing them with my wife. I'm not exactly hiding anything from her. Although there would certainly be some apps or things that my wife and I would want to retain seperate data I'd still be more concerned with storage space
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:53 AM   #22
findley844
macrumors newbie

I use a similar set up as previously mentioned. We have two iPhones, each has their own cloud. On our iMac we each have our own login with a shared iPhoto library. I've played around with different setups and can't seem to find a better way of doing this.

Apple definitely designed cloud for single user interface. I won't even get into the issues with the address book that icloud has caused. MobileMe where are you?????
findley844 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:33 PM   #23
HereInAndyland
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by findley844 View Post
I use a similar set up as previously mentioned. We have two iPhones, each has their own cloud. On our iMac we each have our own login with a shared iPhoto library. I've played around with different setups and can't seem to find a better way of doing this.

Apple definitely designed cloud for single user interface. I won't even get into the issues with the address book that icloud has caused. MobileMe where are you?????
Does the two-iClouds-one-iPhoto work for you? It kind of works for me, but not quite. I feel like I'm missing something...

I set us up with one shared account for calendar and contacts sharing, and set up each up with our own account for PhotoStream. We have an older, fourth AppleID that we've always used for iTunes and App Store purchases. It's all working well so far, except for the stupid iPhoto thing...
HereInAndyland is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 03:57 PM   #24
RollTide1017
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by protobiont View Post
I wonder if this will work on a PC as well. Although, will the computer have to be logged in to the account before it will download the photostream? Very annoying.
Yep, works the same with 2 logins on a Windows PC. Once the iCloud Control Panel is installed, each user must login and sign into their iCloud account and turn Photo Stream on. Once on, it creates a "Photo Stream" folder in each user's "my Pictures" folder.

Yes, a user must be logged in for it to download that user's pictures. This only takes a few minutes and has not been a problem in my experience.

I'm kinda surprised to see how many people use single logins on their computers. I guess multiple logins is just more ingrained in the Windows world that my wife and I never even considered sharing a single login. We both want to have different backgrounds, color schemes, desktop icons, and many other settings that sharing would be a nightmare. We do share the same iTunes library, which took a command line function to fix it where music she adds shows up in our library the next time I log on and open iTunes (and vise versa).
RollTide1017 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 08:22 AM   #25
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTide1017 View Post
I'm kinda surprised to see how many people use single logins on their computers. I guess multiple logins is just more ingrained in the Windows world that my wife and I never even considered sharing a single login. We both want to have different backgrounds, color schemes, desktop icons, and many other settings that sharing would be a nightmare. We do share the same iTunes library, which took a command line function to fix it where music she adds shows up in our library the next time I log on and open iTunes (and vise versa).
Yeah, actually I just got married a year ago, and now my wife shares my mac. I tried to set up a new login and everything for her, but she doesn't see the point. It's probably better this way for now, because my 2007 macbook would probably switch back and forth maddenly slow.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services