Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Statelymwhite

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2011
When I go to upgrade to ios5, I get a warning I've never seen before about how the update will delete all my apps (and music, etc), and to only upgrade from the computer I normally sync to.

I am upgrading from that computer, but I've never actually synced the apps. I've only synced music. When I tried to sync the apps once all it did was delete them.

So what's going to happen? I don't want the upgrade to finish only to have an empty phone. It's never done that before, so why would it now?

waylay00

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2011
If you haven't synced, then all of your apps will be deleted. I hadn't synced my iPad for a while, and all of my newer apps were gone after updating. I didn't have many though, so it wasn't a big deal.

Statelymwhite

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2011
But the last time I tried to sync apps, it deleted them all...

This is what I'm afraid of this time, too.

gallagb

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2004
IN
it did not delete them for me- but on my iPhone it did 'clear' the apps- so I had to re-download them or upload them from my desktop. Not re-purchase though- just re-download/install.

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
Yes, part of the iOS 5 update is to restore your phone. So, it deletes all content on your phone and restores it to the state of your most recent backup, plus adds all the new iOS 5 goodies. Therefore, before you update, make sure you do a backup.

HoopTrundler

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2011
Wait, if you do a backup before updating, will this also restore the actual app data? Not just the apps themselves?

critic81

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2008
Massachusetts
Wait, if you do a backup before updating, will this also restore the actual app data? Not just the apps themselves?

A Backup of your device will backup ONLY the app data, NOT the actual app itself.

Only if you Backup and Sync your apps will the app and app data be there after you restore from a backup and resync all your apps back to your device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.