Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier

Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:53 PM   #1
Hitch08
macrumors 6502

Large "Other" File(s)

What can cause a large "Other" file(s)?

On my iPad (first generation), I now have a 12.8 GB "Other" file. I did not notice if it was that large before upgrading to 5.0. It could have been there before, but I don't think it was.

Is there some sort of back-up being saved on my iPad?

Thanks!
Hitch08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:14 PM   #2
ohio.emt
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to ohio.emt Send a message via MSN to ohio.emt Send a message via Yahoo to ohio.emt
After updating my Other is at 31GB

----------

Ok after resyncing now my other is back to normal
ohio.emt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2011, 01:45 PM   #3
mrleee3
macrumors newbie

Yellow 'Other' space too large?

Upgraded ipad 2 to iOS 5 relatively pain free but apps weren't restored and I noticed that 'other' was 1.46gb. Seemed a bit large and I think it's probably the apps that weren't restored. Similar on iPhone 4 - 'other' is taking up 20gb, approx same as apps before they were lost post upgrade.

Backed up ipad to iCloud, performed 'erase all content and settings' and restored from iCloud. 'Other' space now 346mb. Is this about right for a new ipad?

Trying to do same for iPhone but unable to back up to iCloud currently...
mrleee3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2011, 01:46 PM   #4
Acronym
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrleee3 View Post
Upgraded ipad 2 to iOS 5 relatively pain free but apps weren't restored and I noticed that 'other' was 1.46gb. Seemed a bit large and I think it's probably the apps that weren't restored. Similar on iPhone 4 - 'other' is taking up 20gb, approx same as apps before they were lost post upgrade.

Backed up ipad to iCloud, performed 'erase all content and settings' and restored from iCloud. 'Other' space now 346mb. Is this about right for a new ipad?

Trying to do same for iPhone but unable to back up to iCloud currently...
at one point my "other" was at 4.6gb O.o but it is now back to .58 not sure what was going on there.
Acronym is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2011, 01:48 PM   #5
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

This happened to me on my iOS 5 upgrade (3GS) too -- on first sync it said that I was something like 1.5 gigs over capacity (whereas I had something like 1.6 gigs of free space before upgrading). I canceled the sync and plugged it in again and tried again, and it sorted itself out.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 01:51 PM   #6
mrleee3
macrumors newbie

I guess anything under 1gb is acceptable... I assume some of it is taken up by the iOS. I can't remember what it was when I first got the ipad/iphone...
Old Oct 13, 2011, 01:51 PM   #7
Hitch08
macrumors 6502

Thanks Ohio. I ran a sync, but it's still there. Any suggestions?

Anyone else have this issue?
Hitch08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:00 AM   #8
saberahul
macrumors 68040

Go to Settings --> General --> Usage and see what is using up the data.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:02 AM   #9
greytmom
macrumors 68020

I had this problem with my daughter's phone. I canceled the sync, unplugged, plugged back in and problem solved.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 01:40 AM   #10
Steve109
macrumors newbie

I had the same problem, I noted after upgrade that my `other` useage has risen from 0.2gb to 5.7gb.

Very strange, however I noticed that when I removed a music album the `audio` use reduced and this was mirrored in the `other` section.

I eventually removed all my music to virtualy zero in audio and got my `other` down to 0.53gb and cannot seem to get it lower. I have reinstalled/synced my music and the `other` useage remains at 0.53gb. It must have been a mirror or backup of my audio, but how and why it happended I don`t have a clue.

I`m still trying everything to reduce the `other` back down to what it was before upgrade.
Steve109 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 08:14 AM   #11
mrleee3
macrumors newbie

Managed to backup iPhone to iCloud, erased, reinstalled and restored from iCloud and now 'other' space has gone from 20gb to 350mg. Hope this helps.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 02:12 AM   #12
mick007
macrumors newbie

iCloud

Ok, So had a similar problem and this is how i fixed it.
In iTunes summary under backup, "Backup to iCloud" was ticked
I changed this to "Backup to this computer"
Then hit sync.
Hope this helps
mick007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:24 AM   #13
Shakman
macrumors newbie

Down from 14GB to 12GB

I tried every single thing to solve the "other" memory problem on my jailbroken iphone 4s... It consumed 14GB out of my 32
Just delete the syslog file using ifile or SSH... Tried to figure out the Purpose of the syslog file, im not really sure of its function but from wut i figured it shouldnt have an important function, i deleted it and my phone is functioning perfectly
Just go to
Var/mobile/library/logs
U will find the file there, just hold ur breath and delete, this file by itself took out 12GB out of my memory
Wit u should do after is disable the syslog toggle on SBSettings
Cheers
Shakman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:30 PM   #14
TechGuy77
macrumors newbie

Delete Text Messages with Attachments

At one point my wife had 9.5 GB of other space on a 16 GB iPhone. After rooting her phone and looking around with DiskAid I was able to figure out that every time she sent a text message with a video (our son is 8 months) the phone would make a copy of that video and store it as an attachment to the text message.

Ultimately she was able to go from 9.5 GB to 0.4 GB "Other" space by deleting her old text messages.

Hope this helps someone.
TechGuy77 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2012, 01:44 PM   #15
tonyr6
macrumors 6502

My other on my 64GB 4g iPod touch was 1.46GB for about 7 months then I synced it the other day and it dropped to 1.06GB. Can't explain it except I synced it on a new USB hub.
tonyr6 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:38 PM   #16
Shhh99
macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGuy77 View Post
At one point my wife had 9.5 GB of other space on a 16 GB iPhone. After rooting her phone and looking around with DiskAid I was able to figure out that every time she sent a text message with a video (our son is 8 months) the phone would make a copy of that video and store it as an attachment to the text message.

Ultimately she was able to go from 9.5 GB to 0.4 GB "Other" space by deleting her old text messages.

Hope this helps someone.
Thank you so much for this advice!!!! I've been struggling with this for MONTHS! My little boy is 11 months so I'm constantly taking pics and videos and I had all this "OTHER" clogging up my phone! I simply cleared the text conversations with my parents, who I send a ton of pics and videos of their first grandbaby, and that yellow other space dropped off drastically immediately! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Shhh99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier