Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier

Old Oct 14, 2011, 05:49 AM   #51
TBR
macrumors 6502

I've had the same problem intermittently, when I couldn't sync. I found in my case closing and reopening itunes did the trick.

Obviously this isn't perfect and defeats a lot of the point of wireless sync, but it did work in the end.

Also of note for multiple device owners, not seen this covered before but I was able to sync my iPad and iPhone simultaneously.
TBR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 05:52 AM   #52
sn
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRONiC YOUTH View Post
well i done it a million times bro and let me tell u it's slow anyways lol
Well I'm real pleased for you but if you look through the thread you'll see that I've not had your luck.
sn is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 06:01 AM   #53
CHRONiC YOUTH
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn View Post
well i'm real pleased for you but if you look through the thread you'll see that i've not had your luck.
read the directions bro -__- or try a restore, or maybe someone nice can even make you a tutorial lmao
CHRONiC YOUTH is offline   -8 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 06:18 AM   #54
sn
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRONiC YOUTH View Post
read the directions bro -__- or try a restore, or maybe someone nice can even make you a tutorial lmao
Jeez you're good, you should apply for a job at technical support.
sn is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 06:28 AM   #55
Sathiya4033
macrumors newbie

Nothing works unless apple answer for this..
Old Oct 14, 2011, 07:11 AM   #56
TheSuperSteve
macrumors 6502

WiFi sync isnt working for me at all either. I've tried everything this man has tried and still nothing. I'm on a freshly reinstalled Windows 7 PC. Nothing is working.

They show up on iTunes but as soon as i click them they go "Searching for iPod" and then it disappears.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 07:51 AM   #57
class77
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Jeez you're good, you should apply for a job at technical support.
Do you really need to get so snarky? People are just trying to help other people
Old Oct 14, 2011, 07:59 AM   #58
sn
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by class77 View Post
Do you really need to get so snarky? People are just trying to help other people
I really don't think he was trying to be helpful.
sn is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 08:08 AM   #59
S1njin
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSuperSteve View Post
WiFi sync isnt working for me at all either. I've tried everything this man has tried and still nothing. I'm on a freshly reinstalled Windows 7 PC. Nothing is working.

They show up on iTunes but as soon as i click them they go "Searching for iPod" and then it disappears.
I had this w/ my iPhone 4. So far my iPad 2's are still working. FYI, my system is a Mac Mini not a Win 7 PC, so it seems to me this problem is platform independent.
S1njin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:51 AM   #60
sn
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSuperSteve View Post

Sounds like our issues are slightly different but could have the same solution. Will let you know if (WHEN!) I have any luck.
sn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:13 AM   #61
TheSuperSteve
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Sounds like our issues are slightly different but could have the same solution. Will let you know if (WHEN!) I have any luck.
Thank you. This is the feature i was looking forward to the most and ironically it's the only feature that doesn't work right.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:13 AM   #62
jedelaney01
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by miKe.Tomb View Post
Gotta love the fools that post such dumb stuff without even reading the thread
Maybe you should read what I said and not what you think I said. After you do what I suggested, YOU CAN THEN WIRELESSLY sync!!!!!!
jedelaney01 is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:24 AM   #63
icewing
macrumors 6502

You're not running VPN sofware on your PC, are you? If I'm logged into work using VPN, the option is disabled, but when I disconnect the VPN the option shows up again. Hope you get it working...
icewing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:15 PM   #64
Alonzo84
macrumors 6502a

OP, have you checked to make sure that both your computer and iPhone are logged into iTunes with the same AppleID? When I finished updating, my phone had been logged out of my old AppleID and automatically entered my MobileMe/iCloud @me.com address. If you haven't already, go to settings/store and make sure that the same AppleID your computer is signed in with is being used on your phone. This may or may not help, but it's all I've got.
And for the record, Wi-Fi sync doesn't require that your device be plugged into a power source. And you can still use your phone while it is syncing, which I am a big fan of.
Alonzo84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:21 PM   #65
milo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Replying to that particular post? Yeah, it absolutely deserved a snarky reply.
milo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 04:24 PM   #66
miKe.Tomb
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedelaney01 View Post
Maybe you should read what I said and not what you think I said. After you do what I suggested, YOU CAN THEN WIRELESSLY sync!!!!!!
I read what you had to say which was nothing helpful at all.

OP. I decided to uninstall iTunes. Did a registry check and a full reinstall of iTunes. No luck at all. I found a document that seems to have a good perspective of the problem and how to fix it but I didnt use the tools suggested(used my own). Perhaps following this guys directions to a T would help. I'm going to test it shortly.

http://cnx.com/?p=1612

I also enabled "Home Sharing" and tested it. Home sharing works perfectly between my iPhone and iTunes yet wifi-sync still doesn't. This rules out any networking troubleshooting required.

Considering wifi-sync worked the first day and just randomly stopped working i still believe its a bug in iTunes. After uninstalling iTunes and doing the registry cleaning with regmechanic i went into regedit and found an apple registry for Bonjour still existed. I'm curious as to if i have to make sure thats deleted to get this to work properly. Also after the uninstall and reinstall of iTunes it saved all my library information and album cover art. This is telling me that somewhere on my computer iTunes is still storing a backup cache and most likely after reinstalling fully its reinstalling the bug too. UGH
miKe.Tomb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 04:30 PM   #67
kidwithdimples
macrumors 6502a

Plug your iPhone then open iTunes then right click on your iPhone then click on "Reset warnings"

then try it again. It worked for me after I did that.

Keep your iPhone connected to the power
Keep iTunes open
Turn iPhone off
Wait 2 minutes
Turn iPhone on
??
SUCCESS!!
kidwithdimples is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 04:33 PM   #68
VaderW
macrumors newbie

I had this exact problem, followed the instructions to setup and it wouldnt work.

Disabled the firewall in my router and, ping!, hey presto...

Power cable not required to do manual sync, auto sync will occur only when power cable is connected and phone is locked apparently.
VaderW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 04:42 PM   #69
miKe.Tomb
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidwithdimples View Post
Plug your iPhone then open iTunes then right click on your iPhone then click on "Reset warnings"

then try it again. It worked for me after I did that.

Keep your iPhone connected to the power
Keep iTunes open
Turn iPhone off
Wait 2 minutes
Turn iPhone on
??
SUCCESS!!
I was really hoping that was a fix. It wasn't though. Thanks anyway.

I also just noticed that when clicking on "Reset Sync History" nothing happens at all. No popup box and nothing gets reset....

Last edited by miKe.Tomb; Oct 14, 2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 04:52 PM   #70
JoeShades
macrumors 6502

do not click on your ipod or iphone under where it says devices that for some reason disables teh wifi sync and you have to restart itunes
JoeShades is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 04:59 PM   #71
honeybunny
macrumors newbie

Unhappy

Quote:
...but here's a screenshot of what i mean.
I'm having the same problem, too! I even called an Apple representative and he said he was having the same problem with his iPhone when he tried it himself.... (he got his to work after some time and was trying to teach me how, but he was starting to get feisty so I just gave up. What I mean is that whenever I was like, "ok, back up. Now how do I do it step by step?" he would laugh (in a kind of mean way).. attitude problems, I swear. But yeah)

Conclusion: I NEED HELP.
honeybunny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 05:18 PM   #72
miKe.Tomb
macrumors newbie

OK THE SOLUTION HAS BEEN FOUND!!!

To OP: fully tested this fix and now my iPhone is showing up in iTunes when connected to the same wi-fi network without being plugged in!

As i posted previously i tried a fix on a website but it did not work. I used registry mechanic instead of ccleaner.

Go to this site and follow this man's directions. USE CCLEANER to uninstall iTunes and do a registry scan! Brilliant. Worked perfectly. You will not lose any library or album art either.

FINALLY

Here's the link to fix all our wi-fi syncing woes.

http://cnx.com/?p=1612

To OP: lol remember a few pages back when i said it would come down to a an uninstall and a registry fix?
Old Oct 14, 2011, 05:27 PM   #73
class77
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
Replying to that particular post? Yeah, it absolutely deserved a snarky reply.
Nope, it was the 3rd or 4th snarky reply that SN has made in this thread
Old Oct 14, 2011, 05:31 PM   #74
miKe.Tomb
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I posted the fix into a new thread. So anyone using the fix previously mentioned feel free to reply. Give it credit. Help those that are having these problems find the solution easier.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1252394

Last edited by OllyW; Oct 15, 2011 at 04:24 AM. Reason: insults
miKe.Tomb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 05:56 PM   #75
sn
macrumors regular

Quote:
read each of my replies to each of his posts. i only got snarky after he did.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonzo84 View Post
OP, have you checked to make sure that both your computer and iPhone are logged into iTunes with the same AppleID? When I finished updating, my phone had been logged out of my old AppleID and automatically entered my MobileMe/iCloud @me.com address. If you haven't already, go to settings/store and make sure that the same AppleID your computer is signed in with is being used on your phone. This may or may not help, but it's all I've got.
And for the record, Wi-Fi sync doesn't require that your device be plugged into a power source. And you can still use your phone while it is syncing, which I am a big fan of.
You are a star. It worked. Kind of annoying that this is the solution though as I have always used my gmail account (which my iTunes was signed in with) for iTunes purchases, and my mobile me (which my phone was signed in with) for syncing calendars, bookmarks etc. I guess this means that, if I have to choose one to have them both signed in with, I will lose functionality of the other?

Either way, thanks for helping me out, was losing hope! Very grateful.

miKe.Tomb: glad you found your solution too! Thanks for sharing!

p.s., thanks to everyone else who tried to help. much appreciated.
sn is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier