Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Old Oct 13, 2011, 06:49 PM   #1
jsilas
macrumors regular

This Apple ID is valid but is not an iCloud account

I have spent hours searching for a solution to this, and have been unsuccessful. Because my setup is pretty basic, I cannot be the only one facing this, so I figured I'd post a thread about it.

My setup:

I have an iPhone 4 and a MacBook Pro.
I have my original AppleID (@gmail.com)
I have my MobileMe email address (@me.com)

Per Apple's instructions, when I upgraded my iPhone 4 to iOS5 and subsequently set up iCloud, I entered my @me.com email address. This supposedly turned my @me.com address into an AppleID (whatever that means). Ultimately, my iPhone works fine, and is connected with iCloud.

I also did the move from MobileMe to iCloud on the me.com website (which took me to iCloud.com). iCloud.com works fine, and is connected with iCloud.

Finally, I went to my System Preferences in my MBP, and attempted to sign into iCloud using my @me.com ID, per Apple instructions. iCloud setup on my MacBook Pro (10.7.2) fails every single time, and gives me the following error message:

Cannot Sign In: This Apple ID is valid but is not an iCloud account.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to solve this problem? I called Apple support, and even their 1st-tier technician couldn't provide a solution. She said she escalated to a Senior Advisor, and that I'd have a call back in 24 hours, and that was about 30 hours ago. Oh well.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by jsilas; Oct 13, 2011 at 06:55 PM.
jsilas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:23 AM   #2
jsilas
macrumors regular

No responses? Any chance a bump will help? I'd sure like to have iCloud working on my MBP.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 04:43 PM   #3
jsilas
macrumors regular

Problem solved

Well, in case anyone finds this thread researching the same problem, here's my solution.

It turns out that my update (using OSX's inbuilt 'Software Update') to 10.7.2 somehow both partially and invisibly failed. By all appearances, the update worked, but I could not connect to iCloud.

I went to Apple's site and re-downloaded the 10.7.2 dmg directly, then installed it. Following a reboot, my system is working perfectly, connected to iCloud with no further issues.

Hopefully anyone else with a similar problem also enjoys a similarly easy solution.

Cheers,
jsilas
Old Oct 14, 2011, 04:56 PM   #4
Candlelight
macrumors 6502

I have exactly the same problem, but I'm only using Windows 7 and don't own any iOS devices.

I doubt I'll be cloud dancing anytime soon...
Candlelight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 08:39 PM   #5
Lanman
macrumors member

I'm having the same problem. I even wiped my drive, installed Lion fresh and patched with the same results.
Lanman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 07:22 PM   #6
upaymeifixit
macrumors 6502a

If you moved to iCloud on the computer you are having problems with, you probably received an error during setup saying something about an unexpected error (I accidentally clicked OK before reading.)

Most people on a Hackintosh should have this problem, most likely due to no Wi-Fi card needed for Find My Mac.

This is a bummer... There will probably be a fix though for Hackintosh users, just like the Facetime fix.

If you are not on a hackintosh, I would recommend downloading and installing Apple's combo update (Download the Mac OS X 10.7.2 Combo Update) and hope for the best.
upaymeifixit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:49 AM   #7
jsilas
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by upaymeifixit View Post
If you moved to iCloud on the computer you are having problems with, you probably received an error during setup saying something about an unexpected error (I accidentally clicked OK before reading.)

Most people on a Hackintosh should have this problem, most likely due to no Wi-Fi card needed for Find My Mac.

This is a bummer... There will probably be a fix though for Hackintosh users, just like the Facetime fix.

If you are not on a hackintosh, I would recommend downloading and installing Apple's combo update (Download the Mac OS X 10.7.2 Combo Update) and hope for the best.
Maybe you didn't read post 3....
Old Oct 20, 2011, 06:28 PM   #8
upaymeifixit
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsilas View Post
Maybe you didn't read post 3....
It doesn't work like that for hackintoshes. Your solution won't work for hackintoshes.
upaymeifixit is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services