Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaMan05

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
I plan to update to iOS 5 this weekend and was thinking I would do a fresh restore this time. The only thing I need other than my Exchange contacts and calendars is my SMS.

I was wondering if they made any major changes to SMS.db making an iOS 4 sms.db incompatible with iOS 5. Will I be able to just SSH my sms.db out before I restore and SSH it back in after the iOS 5 restore?

I've done this every iOS upgrade since 1.x but want to make sure that iMessage didn't make any changes.

Has anyone done this? Anyone try notes.db? callhistory.db?

iPhone 4 32GB on 4.1 with 01.59.00

DaMan05

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
No, this DOES NOT WORK.

SMS Messages do not show up from restored sms.db

I'm restoring from iTunes backup now and I hope that works...

carljnash

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2011
Hey guys, I managed to transfer my SMS from iOS 4.2.1 to 5.0.1, all i had to do was change the permissions (heirarchically) for the SMS directory. Make the owner and groups Mobile, and permissions 0700.

Good luck!

DaMan05

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
ya i actually ended up getting it to work just like you said

the permissions dont really matter as long as owner can read and write. thats 600. anything above that will work. stock is 644 so i leave it at that.

what was my problem was that i wasnt changing the owner from root to mobile so mobile couldnt read...

thanks for clearing it up here :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.