Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
CA
Verizon has confirmed (here, here and here) they will unlock the SIM on the iPhone 4S, allowing for use of foreign SIM cards while traveling abroad, or for use of foreign SIM cards roaming on GSM networks in the United States (this will not allow for AT&T or T-Mobile SIM card use.) This is different than the jailbreak unlocking method; SIM unlocking through Verizon is permanent, free, and will not affect your warranty in any way.

1. Meet the following requirements:

* Must be a Verizon Wireless customer.
* The iPhone 4S being unlocked must be active on a Verizon Wireless line of service.
* The line of service must be active at least 60 days.
* The line of service must be in good standing for the past 60 days.
* Only one SIM Unlock per line every 10 months.

If you don't meet one or more of the above requirements, call anyway. You may still get lucky.

2. Insert a foreign SIM into the SIM card slot on the side of your phone (only needed to confirm the unlock is successful.)

3. Call 1-800-711-8300 (Verizon Global Support), select option 2, and ask the representative for a SIM unlock. Occassionally a representative may not know exactly what you are referring to; make sure you are not transferred to a different department. You are in the right place. Explain that they should have a walkthrough on how to do this, and that it allows for the use of local, non-Verizon SIM cards while traveling abroad.

4. Get confirmation from the rep that the unlock has been applied to your account, then check your phone to make sure it recognizes your SIM and can connect (if successful it will roam on AT&T, assuming you are calling from the USA.) You will NOT see an unlock confirmation in iTunes as that is for a factory-applied unlock only.

5. Enjoy your new unlocked iPhone 4S!

Last edited:

amckimmey

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2011
Eugene, OR
So can I request to have it unlocked, even if I don't really plan on it? but would just like the phone to be that way in the very slim chance I need to use it like that?

Also this wont affect any part of my plan right? like my unlimited data plan?

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
This is great. I just read the slash gear article. I guess my next question is...how's the service on Verizon? Lol. No really...is it good? Mainly I need service in NYC, North & southern CA, and Seartle for domestic service.

I wonder if they can unlock for my trip to London in Dec?

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
This is great. I just read the slash gear article. I guess my next question is...how's the service on Verizon? Lol. No really...is it good? Mainly I need service in NYC, North & southern CA, and Seartle for domestic service.

I wonder if they can unlock for my trip to London in Dec?

I mean that depends on more than just matching a city with a coverage map. Ask people in your area. Where is there spotty coverage? What is the average bar? You may have great coverage in the main part of the city, but how about in your house? Etc.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
CA
So can I request to have it unlocked, even if I don't really plan on it? but would just like the phone to be that way in the very slim chance I need to use it like that?
Yes :)
Also this wont affect any part of my plan right? like my unlimited data plan?
It won't affect any part of your plan whatsoever.

But just to be clear, you'll definitely want to use a local SIM at your destination for data. VZW charges $20/MB for pay-per-use data outside North America ($2/MB and $5/MB in Canada and Mexico) unless you sign up for one of their global data plans which aren't much better (50MB for $30, 150MB for $75, 300MB for $125)

JoJoCal19

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I know there has been a lot of question of whether the Verizon iPhone 4S could use a US sim card when unlocked. I know for the world BlackBerry phones, when it was sim unlocked you could throw in an AT&T sim card and use it here just fine, 3G and all. Technically it would be possible to do the same with the 4S. Whether they've implemented some kind of software block or something has yet to be seen. I would guess not because it all goes by GSM bands. Can't wait to find out.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
CA
I know there has been a lot of question of whether the Verizon iPhone 4S could use a US sim card when unlocked. I know for the world BlackBerry phones, when it was sim unlocked you could throw in an AT&T sim card and use it here just fine, 3G and all. Technically it would be possible to do the same with the 4S. Whether they've implemented some kind of software block or something has yet to be seen. I would guess not because it all goes by GSM bands. Can't wait to find out.
Verizon restricted US GSM carriers on the Droid 2 Global last year. Even if you got the unlock code from VZW, it wouldn't work on AT&T/T-Mobile.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
I mean that depends on more than just matching a city with a coverage map. Ask people in your area. Where is there spotty coverage? What is the average bar? You may have great coverage in the main part of the city, but how about in your house? Etc.

Well....that's what I'm asking here. Most people I know don't have Verizon otherwise I would have asked.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
CA
Well....that's what I'm asking here. Most people I know don't have Verizon otherwise I would have asked.

The cities you mentioned (NYC, Seattle, NoCal, SoCal) all have extensive Verizon coverage.

MachAF

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
You don't even need to call them. Its unlocked to begin with.

You just need to plug it back into iTunes after you swap sims, which is pretty annoying. Maybe the call to Verizon and the unlock screen prevent having to do this?

niteriderxp

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
Seattle, WA
You don't even need to call them. Its unlocked to begin with.

You just need to plug it back into iTunes after you swap sims, which is pretty annoying. Maybe the call to Verizon and the unlock screen prevent having to do this?

It is definitely locked, in fact they are having a hard time unlocking it for me.
Keeps saying pending on their side but it does not want to work.

niteriderxp

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
Seattle, WA
It is definitely locked, in fact they are having a hard time unlocking it for me.
Keeps saying pending on their side but it does not want to work.

Currently on hold with Apple trying to get it resolved.
They confirmed that it is locked to Vodafone (which is part owner and international roaming partner of VZW).

TheDude73

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2011
Verizon has confirmed (here and here) they will unlock the SIM on the iPhone 4S, allowing for use of local SIM cards while traveling abroad (no word yet on whether this will allow for use on AT&T and T-Mobile.) This is different than the jailbreak unlocking method; SIM unlocking through Verizon is permanent, free, and will not affect your warranty in any way.

1. Meet the following requirements:

* Must be a Verizon Wireless customer.
* The iPhone 4S being unlocked must be active on a Verizon Wireless line of service.
* The line of service must be active at least 60 days.
* The line of service must be in good standing for the past 60 days.
* Only one SIM Unlock per line every 10 months.

If you don't meet one or more of the above requirements, call anyway. You may still get lucky.

2. Have iTunes open on your computer and the cable ready to connect to your phone.

3. Call 1-800-711-8300 (Verizon Global Support) and ask the representative for a SIM unlock. Occassionally a representative may not know exactly what you are referring to; make sure you are not transferred to a different department. You are in the right place. Explain that they should have a walkthrough on how to do this, and that it allows for the use of local, non-Verizon SIM cards while traveling abroad.

4. Get confirmation that the unlock has been applied to your account, and plug your iPhone into iTunes (don't hang up yet, in case the unlock wasn't applied correctly.) You should see a message confirming that your iPhone is unlocked.

5. Enjoy your new unlocked iPhone 4S!

Hey, I made the "here and here" link! ;-)

I hooked up again this morning and still didn't see the notification on my supposedly-now-unlocked SIM 4S. I didn't have a chance to call them back today, but will this weekend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.