Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2010
Hello, well a bit bold title, but I wanted to grab your attention! The next one goes to the UI designers out there. If you are not a designer, don't bother reading further.. ;)

Don't you find the design of the reminders app amateurish? I wonder if they assigned to the same person that designed the notification background to design the UI for this app too..

First of all, there is a huge contrast between the black elements and the white paper. Second, the texture on the background of the paper stays the same even when you scroll the text. Notes app has the same static texture flaw, but at least it does not make use of huge colour contrast on it's elements, it just uses a mild yellow and brown colour scheme. They also use a very bold emboss on the textfields, as if they just turn the emboss effect on on photoshop and just let it on the default settings.

Also the alignment on the + button on the top right side of the paper look so misplaced. It is too far on the right. And I also don't like the fact that they have these huge gaps left and right of the paper when you turn your iPad in Landscape mode. Also the fact that the list on the left is completely black, creates a lack of balance as all the light elements are placed on the right side of the screen destroying the harmony. Also why not to be a third option for a mixed view, instead of only reminder list or dates so that you can see at the same time your reminders and also a calendar indicating them???

I have put a photo of how it looks and another one of how I would fix these problems.

Please write your opinion on it. Do you think that the design could be improved?

remindersy.jpg

reminders2.jpg

Last edited:

josh3326

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2009
Seattle
I like it!

It's a great simple way to add a reminder for a task during the day. It's simple, that's it. Apple makes some simplistic apps. You want better apps, there's an app store for that. I will not create a better app though, I am happy with this one.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
IMO, the second example looks washed out and hideous. Everything can be improved, just the manor shown is not an improvement.

I'm not sure the reminders app is the best app for use as a diary, or for phd note gathering.

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Yup. The second example is absolutely hideous. First screenshot looks very clean and symmetrical.

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2010
Just a quick question guys.. Are you designers?

We are not talking about simplicity here. We are talking about aesthetics and usability for God's shake. Cant you see the difference?

Last edited:

Annette22joy

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2016
Hello, well a bit bold title, but I wanted to grab your attention! The next one goes to the UI designers out there. If you are not a designer, don't bother reading further.. ;)

Don't you find the design of the reminders app amateurish? I wonder if they assigned to the same person that designed the notification background to design the UI for this app too..

First of all, there is a huge contrast between the black elements and the white paper. Second, the texture on the background of the paper stays the same even when you scroll the text. Notes app has the same static texture flaw, but at least it does not make use of huge colour contrast on it's elements, it just uses a mild yellow and brown colour scheme. They also use a very bold emboss on the textfields, as if they just turn the emboss effect on on photoshop and just let it on the default settings.

Also the alignment on the + button on the top right side of the paper look so misplaced. It is too far on the right. And I also don't like the fact that they have these huge gaps left and right of the paper when you turn your iPad in Landscape mode. Also the fact that the list on the left is completely black, creates a lack of balance as all the light elements are placed on the right side of the screen destroying the harmony. Also why not to be a third option for a mixed view, instead of only reminder list or dates so that you can see at the same time your reminders and also a calendar indicating them???

I have put a photo of how it looks and another one of how I would fix these problems.

Please write your opinion on it. Do you think that the design could be improved?

remindersy.jpg

reminders2.jpg

Seriously?? This is a mind f---!
A monkey could desist a reminder program better. Wish I could get rid of the bogus icons that clutter my phone. Really starting to hate the iPhone
[doublepost=1457583325][/doublepost]The iPhone Reminder is a joke. A waste of space. I have spent way too much time trying to figure out Apple products. The only thing I like is find my phone on iCloud. iTunes is a pain/scam. I never quite know if my phone will be completely messed up when connecting to my PC.
Will some non-affiliated Geek please create a user friendly phone without the number one motivation being a corner on the market?!? Please?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Seriously?? This is a mind f---!
A monkey could desist a reminder program better. Wish I could get rid of the bogus icons that clutter my phone. Really starting to hate the iPhone
[doublepost=1457583325][/doublepost]The iPhone Reminder is a joke. A waste of space. I have spent way too much time trying to figure out Apple products. The only thing I like is find my phone on iCloud. iTunes is a pain/scam. I never quite know if my phone will be completely messed up when connecting to my PC.
Will some non-affiliated Geek please create a user friendly phone without the number one motivation being a corner on the market?!? Please?
Sounds like a basic flip phone might be the way to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.