Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

siriin.jpg

As we noted on our iPhone launch article, international iPhone 4S users are noticing that Siri won't provide them with Map or local business search information. Those features were demoed by Apple during the keynote but are limited to the U.S. market only.

Apple's Siri FAQ (via @dujkan) reveals that international support for those features won't be available until 2012:
Maps and local search support will be available in additional countries in 2012.

Article Link: Siri: Maps and Local Search for International Customers Coming in 2012

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Just discovered that myself. :( It's a bit of an odd thing to hold back - surely the commands and the info source are exactly the same in UK as in the US - same language and all (well near enough). I even have my phone set to use the US voice since I'd rather have a female voice, still no dice.

"Sorry Phil, I can't look for restaurants in the UK." Ballbags.

boomish

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
LOL I would be so pissed buying one today to find that didn't work, I had not read anywhere about that, glad I decided to wait till Christmas now.

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Hehe, nice omission by Apple to let everyone know... It makes siri that much more useless for people who were hoping to use it outside of the US.

RichardBeer

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2009
England
Was there any disclaimer stating this? You'd have thought that a company with such vast resources would have been able to offer US and international support from day one.

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
Kind of lame to see 4S not supporting from the beginning considering they had enough time...

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Good thing I didn't buy mine for Siri. I guess all the people who keep downranking me because I don't find Siri the 2nd coming need to chill a bit.

It's a beta version of software that is better voice control. If you bought the phone simply for that, I don't know what to say. I'm in it for the A5 processor and better camera myself.

studlybw

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
Beta

Does the word "Beta" ring a bell? They said from the very beginning that it was beta and wouldn't be feature full at launch.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Was there any disclaimer stating this? You'd have thought that a company with such vast resources would have been able to offer US and international support from day one.

Kind of lame to see 4S not supporting from the beginning considering they had enough time...

It's beta software. All the other Siri features work in several languages apart from Maps and Yelp integration. Apple is a US-focused corporation so don't be surprised when certain features come out here first.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Well that's undoubtedly a little disappointing, although at least they don't have too long to wait. It would have been better to have been a little more forthcoming on Apple's part, however.

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
DOH!!!!

I tried this today when I bought my phone. Pretty upset that it doesn't work!:mad: When they say that it will be available in 2012 ..... I sure hope it's January!!! :mad:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
It's beta software. All the other Siri features work in several languages

By several you mean 3 right ? French, German, English. As long as you don't have a strong accent. :D

Again folks : Siri = Voice control on steroids. Not the 2nd coming. Don't let it get you down.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
The iPhone really is crippled here in Japan. Limited Siri features; no official tethering plan; throttled 3G data speeds for ALL customers; and absolutely no official carrier unlock, even when paying full price for the phone.

Softbank = Fail.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
For people who are complaining about this not working internationally yet, I suppose you could always return the phone or give it to somebody else? Like… me? :)

caliguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2005
Good thing I didn't buy mine for Siri. I guess all the people who keep downranking me because I don't find Siri the 2nd coming need to chill a bit.

It's a beta version of software that is better voice control. If you bought the phone simply for that, I don't know what to say. I'm in it for the A5 processor and better camera myself.

I absolutely agree. The speech that it uses especially is a bit whack and outdated. However, when Siri can integrate more tightly with Maps, and when Maps advances out of 2007, it will truly be useful.

"Find me the closest In N Out on my route" or, while integrated with apps (Gas Buddy), "Find me the cheapest gas station on my route within the next 30 miles"

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Booo Apple.
You are an international company, a majority of your revenue is outside of the US, act like a responsible company towards non US customers.
I said it in another forum post and will say it again:
Apple has more profit and more money than Nokia yet Nokia has support for most countries, why not you Apple with all that cash reserve?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.