Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

IMG_0001-1.png

As has happened in the past, it seems AT&T's activation servers are having problems with the large influx of activations with the iPhone 4S launch. A quick search of Twitter shows many having problems activating their AT&T iPhone 4Ss due to server issues. A discussion thread in our forum also mirrors the complaints.

With the iPhone 4S launched now across the entire U.S., we are at the peak of simultaneous AT&T iPhone 4S activations. AT&T has had similar issues in previous launches. Japanese carrier Softbank was reported to have similar issues during their launch this morning.

Article Link: AT&T Activations Servers Overloaded with iPhone 4S Launch

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
Your activation is still pending. You will receive an email notification once your activation is complete.
We’re sorry. There was a problem connecting to the server. Please try again later.

This is maddening.. Way to go, at&t!

fenwah

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2011
Grrrreeeaaattt! :mad:

Mine is due from FedEx by 3PM EDT. I don't want to have to mess with that.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I've tried 15 times and it's still not working.

That screen is also very unclear. Is it still pending? Or did it fail in activating?

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
As has happened in the past, it seems AT&T's activation servers are having problems with the large influx of activations with the iPhone 4S launch.

And clearly they didn't learn from. /facepalm

Best bet is to just keep trying. I'm on attempt #8. I think. :eek:

eyeluvmyimac

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2002
You would think they would, I don't know... be expecting it? Especially since it happens roughly every year...

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Hmm. Different error this time on the phone. Earlier it would say the activation was pending & to check email. Now it's flat out saying the "activation server" (just one? lol) could not be reached and to retry later. :mad:

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
This is not a surprise.

You would think 5 phones later, AT&T would be more prepared for days like this.

And you would think Apple would learn requiring a new sim card for every iPhone causes some major problems. The iPhone is the only phone that does not reuse sim cards. The aim card in my phone is nearly 4 years old and on its third cell phone. My dad's sim still says Cingular on it and going great. Apple on the other hand does not reuse them and cause the servers to get slammed. You would think Apple would learn. A lot of the blame lies with Apple for not using the standards of gsm on this one.

78-bit

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Look at it from AT&T's perspective. Why spent millions upon millions to overhaul a system that only ***** the bed once a year for a very specific group of people?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
LOLOLOLOL....

My understanding is at the Oshkosh Airshow this past Summer, people on AT&T couldn't get service due to overload... :eek:

People on other carriers were merrily cell-phoning along... :D

jona2125

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Not really complaining much. I don't fap to raging about something expected. I expected AT&T to bog and I expected Apple to disappoint. Both go right on schedule :) y'all have fun with your complaining I'll be using my Sprint 4S until AT&T gets their ass cork unplugged

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Is it too much to ask that iPhone owners just wait a few hours?

Apparently. We live in the 'right now' culture, I guess.

Me? I'd rather wait a little while rather than pay AT&T even more money so they can build up a system for activating a million iPhones at once that will only get used once a year. What a waste of money.

Likewise, it didn't bother me that it took awhile for me to download iOS 5. When everyone's trying to do the same thing it's gonna slow you down. Ever been to a concert or sporting event? Sometimes you've just gotta wait.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
No surprise. Absolutely insane demand.

I'm not even sure if there is a way to prevent AT&T getting slammed when new iPhones are released. Not everyone can handle Apple's consumer load.

Gleemen

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2009
Dude, I dont care I'm just happy to learn today that my order made it into the 7-14 days range. Just a couple more days for me and I dont have to go through this BS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.