Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lmedland

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2003
England, United Kingdom
Hi,

This is an odd one, I wonder if anyone could shed some light on it for me.

I have images in iPhoto 5.0.2 which I can view fine when browsing them. However, when I try and open the image by double clicking on it, the grey cog just keeps spinning. This happens all within iPhoto - i.e I'm browsing them within iPhoto not finder.

Okay, so I search for them in Spotlight (which only shows 23 photos when there are actually 39 but thats for another thread) and some thumbnails display but some don't. When I try and double click one that doesn't display it tries to open it in iPhoto and I get the same "working cog".

So I try and use the "reveal in finder" option and open the file in Preview but it claims the photo is corrupt.

So from that, can we conclude that some of my photos are corrupt? This would explain the lack of files when searching with Spotlight.

I have tried the usual repair permissions but this has done nothing.

If my photo's are corrupt do you know any tools which could help? These came from my backup which were restored when I did my Tiger clean install.

Thanks for reading and look forward to your comments.

Cheers.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Have you tried dragging one of the image files that *doesn't* work into Safari, and see if *it* loads the image?

Note: as I read this more carefully, it really seems to be a file issue.... Depending on how "corrupt" the files are, I'd guess that you really need an image recovery tool more than iPhoto help.... :(

lmedland

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2003
England, United Kingdom
Hi,

It turns out these the thumbnails which are corrupt are all 0kb in size. If I drill down in Finder, I can find the actual image and that opens fine. As soon as I go back into iPhoto to look at the image, I get the "working cog" and won't display the image - this seems to create this 0kb version of the image again.

Any ideas?

Applespider

macrumors G4
Have you tried rebuilding your iPhoto library which, amongst other things, regenerates all the thumbnails?

Apple recommend making a backup of your iPhoto library beforehand. Then quit the application and restart it while holding down Option and Command. It may take some time to update and although it will keep your album info, it may lose any 'roll' info you have.

lmedland

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2003
England, United Kingdom
Applespider said:
Have you tried rebuilding your iPhoto library which, amongst other things, regenerates all the thumbnails?

Apple recommend making a backup of your iPhoto library beforehand. Then quit the application and restart it while holding down Option and Command. It may take some time to update and although it will keep your album info, it may lose any 'roll' info you have.

Tried this now and it hasn't done anything. Thanks for the suggestion though, I didn't know you could do that.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Now that I understand that the thumbnails are the issue, is it an option to do the following:

1) Move that entire roll/day's or those entire days' photos out of the iPhoto library

2) Delete those photos from iPhoto's library, if iPhoto still thinks they're in there, roll-by-roll

3) Delete all the thumbnails, working and non working, from the folder, and all the iPhoto data files that are in there, so that you're left with just the original JPGs.

4) Drag the folder of original JPGs into iPhoto to re-import them. They'll show up as a new day, and iPhoto tags/comments will be gone, but your photos will be back.

Would this work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.