Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
This information may be percolating up in various threads, but I think it warrants extra attention. AT&T is advising customers to quit retrying. According to this information every time you try again you're placed at the end of the line.
What we have been told by Apple is that every time the activation process is tried again, the phone number is being put at the bottom of the list like it was the first time the activation was done.
They have advised to have customers stop sending the activation through again and give time.
We know for the AT&T side, it is a 10-15 minute delay. As far as how long it is taking for Apple's activation, we do not have that information.
We just got an update.
There is a 1-2 hour delay. *Please leave the phone on and not send the activation through.

Deamos

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2009
This information may be percolating up in various threads, but I think it warrants extra attention. AT&T is advising customers to quit retrying. According to this information every time you try again you're placed at the end of the line.

Source?

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
:cool:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-10-14 at 1.25.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-10-14 at 1.25.32 PM.png
    132.2 KB · Views: 651

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
I called the activation phone number, inputted my phone number, zip and last 4, and the phone was activated within 3 minutes. Done. This was at 3:30, so it wasn't like I got in early.

fjrabon

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2010
1-2 hours..Ha! Mine has been sitting there for 5 hours

have you tried activating multiple times during that 5 hours? If what the OP is saying is true (or more accurately if what the AT&T rep said was true) each time you try to reactivate, it puts you at the back of the queue and starts the 1-2 hours clock all over again.

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
I called the activation phone number, inputted my phone number, zip and last 4, and the phone was activated within 3 minutes. Done. This was at 3:30, so it wasn't like I got in early.

What number?

jeffm5690

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2010
It is True

I spoke with ATT Enterprise. Every time you try to activate you are sent to the back of the line. If you try every 15 minutes you will get nowhere. ATT has a 15 minute delay to activation and they are running about 1-2 hours behind. Just leave it on and turn off the old one. Hopefully it will be up just after dinner!

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Well, here's what the AT&T live chat person told me. Similar story, 1-2 hour wait. Then she totally 360'ed and said I should use my iPhone 4 today and try activating overnight.

They're so full of ****.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-10-14 at 4.42.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-10-14 at 4.42.10 PM.png
    68.5 KB · Views: 165

andrewa74

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
But it says to keep banging on it, mine says "We are unable to complete your activation at this time" Then gives instructions on either restarting the phone or reconnecting to iTunes.

Did you get a different message? Some were getting a message saying they would receive an email.

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2005
KY
It sounds like most of the people who are getting their phones activated are trying continuously.

2010RS

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2009
sounds like something i'd tell people too if i were an AT&T rep so that the servers would stop getting hammered.

fjrabon

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2010
So here was my experience. When I opened it up it had one bar in the reception. This was completely constant during me trying like 15-20 times to activate. Finally I stopped for like 20-30 mins. Then I looked down and noticed that it gave me 5 bars (still no carrier identified though) and then went to 'no service'. It had been laying in the same exact spot the whole time. I thin tried it and it went through immediately.

So, I think that the key might be waiting for a bit, until you start seeing the varying bars and then try it right then as soon as you see your bars vary.

Or maybe it was just a dumb coincidence.

phillyphill

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2010
lorton
I posted this in another thread but there is a 1-2 hour delay in activations, some may get lucky.

Source i work for att

nfinlay1

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
This works!!!

This worked for me!!! After trying relentlessly for 3 hours to activate I read this post, set my new phone down and walked away. About 20 minutes later I went to send a text to my friend from my old phone and kept getting the error sending message error. Walked over to my 4S and activated it again, went right through!!!

Please give this a shot.

FYI-
Purchased through Apple for AT&T.

efyou

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
But it says to keep banging on it, mine says "We are unable to complete your activation at this time" Then gives instructions on either restarting the phone or reconnecting to iTunes.

Did you get a different message? Some were getting a message saying they would receive an email.

Yeah that's what mine is saying. It says I will be emailed when it's activated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.