Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daihard

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
Seattle, WA
Hi.

I just activated my wife's 4S. Everything went smoothly except that iMessage does not always work correctly. She can send an iMessage to me, both at my iPhone number and e-mail address. However, I cannot send her one at her iPhone number. I _am_ able to use her e-mail address, though.

So the only problem seems to be that she can't receive an iMessage at her phone number. I checked the Messages settings to make sure iMessage is enabled. Her phone number shows up under "Receive At."

Does it just take time for iMessage to be activated? Mine has been active for a while (since Beta) so I can't compare my settings with hers.

TIA!

Last edited:

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
I have exactly the same situation. She can iMessage me at my phone number but I can only iMessage her at her email. Her phone number still gives the green send button

mastakilla48

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
i have this same problem for a few contacts, girlfriends phone picks up any imessage users from phone numbers mine only from email. both phones settings are exactly the same

daihard

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
Seattle, WA
Thanks guys. Kinda good to know I'm not alone, though the best scenario would be that the problem will be solved for all of us soon.

If this persists through the end of the day, I will take her phone to Genius tomorrow.

josielinnea

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2007
Stockholm
Check the country chosen under:
Settings -> Messages -> Receive at -> click "AppleID: xxx" -> Change location.
This should be set to the correct country so that you're phone can use the correct country-code as prefix for the phone number, even if the number is not written with country code in your phonebook.

Could it be your wife entered your number to her phonebook as "+1xxxxx" and you've only entered hers as "xxxxx"?

daihard

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
Seattle, WA
Check the country chosen under:
Settings -> Messages -> Receive at -> click "AppleID: xxx" -> Change location.
This should be set to the correct country so that you're phone can use the correct country-code as prefix for the phone number, even if the number is not written with country code in your phonebook.

Could it be your wife entered your number to her phonebook as "+1xxxxx" and you've only entered hers as "xxxxx"?

Thanks for the reply.

Both our phones have the country code set to United States. Both our phone numbers start with +1 (206) xxx-xxxx.

Interestingly, iMessage works for her phone number now. They must have taken some time to enable it on her account...

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
It's resolved itself here as well, without any settings being changed. It seems to be just a question of waiting a few hours for the iMessage server to update itself with the phone number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.