Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Oct 14, 2011, 03:52 PM   #1
vance09
macrumors member

using super duper backup

i cannot backup from the lion dos using super duper ,i have to re-boot with an older dos like snow leopard and then back up lion dos to another drive ,it keeps saying i have permission problems with the main drive .
any ideas ,what are people using for backups
vance09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 03:56 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Do you mean "OS" (Operating System) or "dos" (DOS?)?
What exact Mac and Mac OS X versions do you use and what external HDD, and how is it connected, do you use for backing up?

Since when does this error occur and have you tried repairing permissions yet?

Anyway, I, and many other humans, use CarbonCopyCloner, as it is free and does its job well.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 06:45 PM   #3
derbothaus
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by vance09 View Post
i cannot backup from the lion dos using super duper ,i have to re-boot with an older dos like snow leopard and then back up lion dos to another drive ,it keeps saying i have permission problems with the main drive .
any ideas ,what are people using for backups
Need a little more info on this. Why can't you backup to SD? It works in Lion. Repair your permissions and try again. Sometimes it can loose the link to the backup. This can be solved by mounting the .dmg and pointing destination to the mounted volume. Each subsequent launch it will auto mount the volume for you.
Are you trying to backup Lion to the 10.6 image you previously have tried to backup to? This is a bad idea and you should have 1 backup for Lion and 1 for Snow Leopard not just one big backup you are trying to update with new OS.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 06:48 PM   #4
weinschela
macrumors member

I've had no problem backing up with Super Duper in 10.7, whether 10.7.1 or 10.7.2
weinschela is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 05:40 PM   #5
nambuccaheadsau
macrumors regular

Your post is a bit confusing mentioning dos - SuperDuper works just great with all released versions from Tiger, including OZ x.7.2.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 08:06 PM   #6
vance09
macrumors member

backing up

my problems of backing seem to have disappeared when i upgraded super duper and also tried carbon copy(newest version) all seems to be ok now ,thanks for all the answers
vance09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 01:08 PM   #7
Boston007
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by vance09 View Post
my problems of backing seem to have disappeared when i upgraded super duper and also tried carbon copy(newest version) all seems to be ok now ,thanks for all the answers
You must have been using the Super Duper release that was not updated for Lion.

BTW, Super Duper is one of the best backup utilities I have. I love it!
Old Oct 24, 2011, 03:04 PM   #8
gglockner
macrumors 6502

I use both SuperDuper and Carbon Copy Cloner. SuperDuper is simple, has great AppleScript support, and is generally faster for incremental backups, though recent releases of Carbon Copy Cloner have reduced the speed gap. But Carbon Copy Cloner supports network backups, and occasionally CCC will work when SuperDuper fails.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro