Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

att1-150x156.jpg

Following Sprint's announcement of record sales, AT&T also announced a very busy sales day. AT&T didn't break out sales totals for the iPhone, but reports it is seeing record activations.
As of 4:30 pm ET today, AT&T had already activated a record number of iPhones on our network - and is on-track to double our previous record for activations on a single day. These record volumes may produce slower activations for some customers, though our systems continue to run at record levels.
AT&T was Apple's launch partner in 2007, and the exclusive partner until Apple launched the Verizon iPhone earlier this year.

AT&T hit this record despite their activation servers having difficulties handling the unprecedented demand. iPhone 4S owners reportedly had difficulties with activations on multiple carriers, and not just AT&T.

Article Link: iPhone 4S Launch to Double AT&T's Record for Activations in One Day

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
Too bad its taken me 5 hours and I still don't have my phone activated. It sounds like this is happening to a lot of people so maybe AT&T won't set any records if they actually can't get people activated.

Blaunerts

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
Miami
Too bad its taken me 5 hours and I still don't have my phone activated. It sounds like this is happening to a lot of people so maybe AT&T won't set any records if they actually can't get people activated.

Same here. SO FRUSTRATED! Calling corporate for a credit to my account. It's BS. :mad:

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
I plan to go with at&t, but if they don't sort this out soon I may have to go with Verizon.

But under no circumstances Sprint.

macse30

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2009
AT&T botched my order made at 7AM on the 7th and is telling me 28 days. I'm off contract and going to Verizon.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Same here. SO FRUSTRATED! Calling corporate for a credit to my account. It's BS. :mad:

Does your old phone not work? Seems like a lot of frustration over a little delay in activating the phone. It's not like the phone doesn't work in the meantime for all its other functions.

blybug

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2003
Galveston, TX
Does your old phone not work? Seems like a lot of frustration over a little delay in activating the phone. It's not like the phone doesn't work in the meantime for all its other functions.

Actually it's exactly like the phone doesn't work in the meantime for all its other functions.

Tastic Bycrom

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
Kansas City, MO
Finally managed to activate mine after around 6 hours.

Seriously, even if 500,000 iPhones attempted activation on AT&T today, the servers should have been able to handle it. Is there some manual process involved on their end or something?

rstansby

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
It's not like the phone doesn't work in the meantime for all its other functions.

Except it is exactly like that.

As far as I can tell, the phone can only be used for an emergency call until the activation is complete.

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
They're actually activating phones? I tried to call and got routed to a message saying they were closed and to call back during normal business hours. ALl day and my 4S is still a brick. That's it. I'm sending it back. I'll wait a while and move over to Verizon. This is idiotic. Keeping the 3Gs for now.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Actually it's exactly like the phone doesn't work in the meantime for all its other functions.

The message I got said I could wait for an email for the phone to be activated, but it said I could use all the other functions of the phone. Then it asked to restore from a backup. I am waiting for that to complete, but it sounded like the other functions would work after that.

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
But wait, according to these forums, the iPhone 4s was a huge fail? Imagine that. It's successful as hell on every carrier.

Hmmm.

ravensfan55

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2009
Apple benefits from having a user base who will buy new products regardless of how much they actually have to offer among their predecessor.

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
But wait, according to these forums, the iPhone 4s was a huge fail? Imagine that. It's successful as hell on every carrier.

Hmmm.

Our friends in Redmond, WA put put these negative stories every time Apple introduces anything. They obviously really got in with Huffpost because they have been talking about the "disappointing" product and sales which are both lies. The only disappointment I feel is with AT&T, soon to be my former carrier, but the product is fine. Ballmer just can't stand the success so he plants media stories to rubbish Apple.

Hoggie

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2008
Campbell Ca
The Good the Bad and the Ugly

Good: No problem registering the phone :D
Bad: Bluetooth range is SIGNIFICANTLY LESS than the 3G. Like 10' - 20' less :(
Ugly: Somewhere along the line the AT&T guy decided I needed a White one. My wife's came in black just like it was suppose to.

Good: It's most definately quicker on loading apps. I use Square quite a bit and it just loads, FAST.

Good: I had unlimited data on my old plan, I got to carry that over at NO extra charge. Yahoooooooooo

Ugly, did I mention it's white?

jeff33702

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2010
Still a brick here. Been a couple hours. Do yo guys keep trying to reactivate, or does it just eventually go?

Lame.

liquidrumors

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2009
At&turd

I bought my iPhone online as a pre-order from apple. I got the phone at 1:50 EST via UPS.. I needed to buy the applecare + because my wife didn't purchase it as part of my order ( i know guys manhood points dropping here sorry.. ) anyway so I didn't open the package I took it straight to the apple store. I explained to the blue people that i needed to get the applecare + and that I had not opened the box. They were cool and said no problem we can figure it out.

1. I was told "we have to activate your phone first before we can get the applecare + attached to your phone. Cool I'm good with that."
2. the phone WONT activate I am getting the same message as everybody else.
3. after about 4 attempts. I get the well I was just talking to corporate and we can't sell you the applecare+ that has to come from At&turd.. I'm like ok whatever thats fine but activate my phone.. he looks at me and says well take it to at&tacos and have them do it I don't know whats wrong with it. Ok fine your just a minion I'm down with that.

4. I go to the at&trash store and I wait in line for about 40 minutes watching iPhone after iPhone get activated and the peeps walking out the door with them. Finally the REALLY HOT ITALIAN GIRL calls my name. of course I'm in the middle of hot tub fantasy with her until I realize she is pointing at the little fat chinese kid who is smiling at me as if he was in the hot tube with me... ugh.. bastard..
5. so I go over to him and give him my story he takes my phone and tries to activate in about 3 or 4 times... NO DEAL he is totally baffled and walks off. He comes back and say go home and try it there. I said ok what about the Applecare+ he said yeah no problem charges me 99 bux scans my iPhones box and takes my money..

it is now 6:18 pm EST and this phone has still not been activated

moral of the story don't pre-order your phone and hot italian chicks think I look good in a hot tub with a fat chinese kid.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
Why are people still choosing AT&T?

Given that there are two other carriers to choose from, and given four solid years of complaints from iPhone user's about AT&T's service, why the hell are people still choosing AT&T?

I understand that there are a relatively small amount of people out there who only get AT&T service at their home and/or workplace, and I understand if those kind of people choose AT&T. But it seems that the majority of people buying the iPhone 4S with AT&T are not those kind of people. Could someone please explain why?

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
OPEN LETTER TO PHIL SCHILLER:

Apple is no longer a toy company with ten customers. It's a major player. People depend on the products and services provided by Apple and pay very goo money for them. Stop with the same day mega-launches which cause everything to crash. Order on Friday, get it on Friday. Order on Monday, get it on Monday. Get it. That stretches the buzz without causing everything to fail.

gorgeousninja

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2007
secret mountain retreat
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

macse30 said:
AT&T botched my order made at 7AM on the 7th and is telling me 28 days. I'm off contract and going to Verizon.

Dont blame you, after all, handling a million or so customers in one day cannot in any way be difficult can it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.