Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bleomycin

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
My friend and I received our iphone 4s's today and i finally got mine activated on crappy AT&T after hours of trying. Long story short, Siri seems to be completely useless and i wanted to see if others are also experiencing problems. Asking siri extremely simple things such as "Text Pat" do not work reliably. It will either screw it up completely giving "ex Pat" as it's response, or it will just say sorry i didn't understand you. Neither of us have any type of accent or speech impediment. We are both testing in a quiet room with little to no background noise.

The reason i'm so confused is i've seen plenty of videos of this working far better in very noisy environments. Could this perhaps be an issue with apple server load? It would be great to hear other's experiences so far, I didn't expect Siri to be amazing but i did expect to be able to dictate extremely basic text messages which it is failing at completely, we are both extremely disappointed.

clamz

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2010
Some people with accents or speech impediments don't know they have it.

this
siri has been working pretty great so far. a few misunderstandings here and there were expected and were observed. definitely see great potential in this software after further development.

simon360

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2007
I know this might sound like a stupid question... but you're waiting until it beeps at you to say "text," right? If it's coming up with "ex," I can only think that it's not recording when you say the "t" in "text" - or you're not saying it clearly enough. It can handle a basic conversation like a human, but its speech recognition is still going to be picky - you have to sharpen your T's and D's.

bleomycin

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
So i take it no one else is having problems? If it was just me fine, maybe i just suck at talking (not likely), but my friend is having issues as well. As a side note the voice recognition in WP7 worked perfectly for both of us, android as well. I've been using computer voice recognition software since the original dragon natural speaking/ibm via voice so i'm not completely clueless about how to speak correctly when talking to a piece of software. I really hope this is a server load issue, i'm beginning to think it is as siri is now giving me server connection issues when attempting to use it.

The DRis

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA
So i take it no one else is having problems? If it was just me fine, maybe i just suck at talking (not likely), but my friend is having issues as well. As a side note the voice recognition in WP7 worked perfectly for both of us, android as well. I've been using computer voice recognition software since the original dragon natural speaking/ibm via voice so i'm not completely clueless about how to speak correctly when talking to a piece of software. I really hope this is a server load issue, i'm beginning to think it is as siri is now giving me server connection issues when attempting to use it.

Obvious troll is obvious. My brothers and mine works PERFECTLY well.

bleomycin

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011

I find this pretty offensive, i cam here to ask if others are having issues, did my best to explain the problem *exactly* and everyone is jumping on the troll bandwagon? Am i not even allowed to ask if others are having issues without being labeled a troll? The only reason i listed that wp7/android are working is because they ARE and because instead of others chiming in with something helpful they immediately began attacking me with meme's and the assumption that i cannot even speak the language. If you're not interested in having an actual discussion about what appears to be a legitimate issue why bother posting at all.

utekineir

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
been working reasonably well for me sending texts, the couple contacts i've tried are recognized fine, issues only arise with a failure to pronounce syllables fully on certain words, which is my fault more than the programs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
I have to talk a little more slowly than I would naturally (not too slowly) and it works fine. Just had a 10 min text conversation with a friend using only Siri. There were a few errors but nothing too bad.

bleomycin

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
I have to talk a little more slowly than I would naturally (not too slowly) and it works fine. Just had a 10 min text conversation with a friend using only Siri. There were a few errors but nothing too bad.

That's good to hear, i'm just going to refrain from using it for a while until their server load decreases from all of the activations, perhaps i'll have better luck then.

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
try speaking slower and using the word message instead of text also maybe hold the phone closer to your mouth when you speak.

Just cuz you don't have a problem doesn't mean he won't have one either so your reply has no use and is pretty offensive.

Wow there are some childish people on this forum, what does this add to the discussion? Are you taking the fact i'm having an issue with an apple product personally? This is mind blowing.

Ignore them... sometimes people have nothing useful to say.

RogueApple

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2010
CenCal, CA
Mine worked all morning and then mysteriously stopped working within the last hour... speech to text seems to still work perfectly. Getting nervous about this Beta

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
Mine worked all morning and then mysteriously stopped working within the last hour... speech to text seems to still work perfectly. Getting nervous about this Beta

There is always a change of things screwing up when it comes to betas but I have a feeling that most errors will hopefully be corrected in the next update or 2.

Zerase

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2009
New York

Mine literally hasn't worked once since i've had it. Not once. No matter what all she says is "Uh oh, i've encountered a problem" or "I can't seem to access the network."

glenncal

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2009
My friend and I received our iphone 4s's today and i finally got mine activated on crappy AT&T after hours of trying. Long story short, Siri seems to be completely useless and i wanted to see if others are also experiencing problems. Asking siri extremely simple things such as "Text Pat" do not work reliably. It will either screw it up completely giving "ex Pat" as it's response, or it will just say sorry i didn't understand you. Neither of us have any type of accent or speech impediment. We are both testing in a quiet room with little to no background noise.

The reason i'm so confused is i've seen plenty of videos of this working far better in very noisy environments. Could this perhaps be an issue with apple server load? It would be great to hear other's experiences so far, I didn't expect Siri to be amazing but i did expect to be able to dictate extremely basic text messages which it is failing at completely, we are both extremely disappointed.

Did you check whether "US English is selected in the Siri Settings? It should be, but it's worth a try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.