Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rcflex

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Palm Springs, CA
I see a signal on the phone and shows im connected to the wifi signal, though it won't download anything, just keeps saying loading... I have another iphone 3gs that works fine on it... Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
First and foremost, make sure the 4S and 3GS are on the same network. If they are, see what IP address you are getting on the 4S. To do so, go to Settings->Wi-Fi, then tap on the blue > symbol to the right of the network name. If the IP starts with 169.254, a.k.a. a self assigned IP, you are not actually joined to the network. Some newer routers may accept incorrect passwords and will show you are on the network when you are not. If you are getting a self-assigned IP, try renewing the lease. You should also try forgetting the network and rejoining. You can follow that up with resetting the network settings, and restarting the iPhone.

PaperQueen

macrumors 6502
I had a similar problem with my iPhone 4, out of the blue (pre-iOS 5 update). It was as if the network connection wouldn't "stick." Could select the network in the WiFi panel, showed all bars as a strong signal, but then when I'd try to actually go online, an error popped up saying I needed to connect to a WiFi network.

Uhhh...yeah....already did that.

I just noticed there was no wifi icon at the top of the screen either, even though there should have been. When returning to Settings > Wifi, it was turned on, but I to re-select the network again. And again. And again. No joy. Still wouldn't "stick."

This morning, I did this and it worked:

1. Settings > Wifi: Turn on like normal
2. Click blue arrow to right of network name
3. Click Renew Lease

That did the trick for me. The wifi icon is back at the top of the screen again, showing full strength. Weird that it occurred, but glad to be back in business again. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.