Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jer446

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
I have a projector in my basement that i am setting up now. I want to hook up a computer to the projector, and on the projector has a vga input. WIll that be the best quality video rather than like svideo?
Here is my real question.. The screen will be a widescreen, im guessing 16:9, but id idnt get the screen yet. If i hook up a computer to the projector, how can i get it to display in widescreen? Do i need to set it onto a certain resolution or something? Will any video card support it? Its an older video card, but if needed, i will buy a new one. I want the computer to be widescreen for like when i watch movies that i have downloaded and other things. Also i need a male vga cable to female right? In order to connect the vga cable from my video card to the projector? The old computer is a pc by the way( windows xp pro) :mad:

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2004
UK
jer446 said:
I have a projector in my basement that i am setting up now. I want to hook up a computer to the projector, and on the projector has a vga input. WIll that be the best quality video rather than like svideo?
Here is my real question.. The screen will be a widescreen, im guessing 16:9, but id idnt get the screen yet. If i hook up a computer to the projector, how can i get it to display in widescreen? Do i need to set it onto a certain resolution or something? Will any video card support it? Its an older video card, but if needed, i will buy a new one. I want the computer to be widescreen for like when i watch movies that i have downloaded and other things. Also i need a male vga cable to female right? In order to connect the vga cable from my video card to the projector? The old computer is a pc by the way( windows xp pro) :mad:

Personally I'd use VGA as its native to video cards and I might be wrong here but I think VGA is digital. With the projector to display in widescreen you don't have to do anything as the projector will just stretch the images. As long as your video card has VGA and the projector has VGA then both will connect no problems. I'm not sure about the resolution because the resolution displayed will be the maximum produced by the projector, and this can be set up by going to system preference > displays. I'm not sure what cable you need but male to female sounds correct as this is what is needed by most projectors.

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
gangst said:
Personally I'd use VGA as its native to video cards and I might be wrong here but I think VGA is digital. With the projector to display in widescreen you don't have to do anything as the projector will just stretch the images. As long as your video card has VGA and the projector has VGA then both will connect no problems. I'm not sure about the resolution because the resolution displayed will be the maximum produced by the projector, and this can be set up by going to system preference > displays. I'm not sure what cable you need but male to female sounds correct as this is what is needed by most projectors.

VGA is analog. DVI is digital.

Also, I'm pretty sure you'll need a male to male cable. I would check the ports on the computer and projector to make sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.