Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matt84uk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2011
Ive just restored my 4S from my iCloud backup from my 4 and wondering if anyone else has had this issue - had a quick look but couldn't see.

After restore of settings was complete and as it went to do the apps I was prompted for iTunes password - but the email address is not mine.. Changed it to mine put in my password it goes... Then comes back with another email address... Same again then I've cancelled this around 15-20 times with different email addresses before it decides to allow me to use mine... Seems really odd.

It's now restored my apps but still seems to do this every so often... The same emails each time. One is Australian, another UK others can't tell. (I'm in the UK)

I may try a backup and another restore tomorrow but interested to see if anyone else has experienced this.

baietas

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2009
I had the exact same problem, except I kept getting propted to enter the password to 7 to 10 different icloud email accounts from people I don't know.

This happened on both my iPhone and iPad after installing the latest iOS5 (upgrading from iOS5 beta)

b1gted

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
Bartlesville, OK
I had a similar thing happen. After a restore, it came up and asked me for my wifes ex-husbands email address. Several times, then it asked me for my ex-wifes email address several times. I came to the conclusion that it was prompting for APPLE ID'S based on songs that were on my phone. I would imagine that these songs have the userid of ther person that originally downloaded it thru Itunes. When I remarried, I just imported in all of her music to my itunes, I can only assume that there are a few in there that her ex-husband purchased or something. Same with my ex-wife, there are several songs that she purchased with her itunes account, but my PC is authorized to play them, so again, I think after Icloud restore it was just going thru the list it saw of apple ID's and asking for passwords to verify authorization.

djam

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2011
I've just had the same thing happen when restoring my 4S from my iCloud backup.

Very weird, and a little creapy. I wonder if Apple is aware of the issue?

matt84uk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2011
Sorry, just noticed the replies - and it has done it again which is odd.

It pops up with around 7-10 different addresses - none of them anything to do with me. I did restore my iCloud backup of my 4 onto the 4S, but these accounts have nothing to do with me I have no idea who these people are!

It seems to happen at random times so is hard to replicate.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Exact same issue happened to me. Are any of you using refurbished/replacement phones? My only guess was that the accounts popping up were tied to the IMEI on my replacement iPhone 4.

This is very weird and needs to be explained. Anyone reported it to Apple yet?

Airmark1

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
If you ever got a "shared app" from someone, I'm sure this would happen because it was based on their apple account.

matt84uk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2011
My phone is a brand new launch day 4S and have never had any other account logged into any of my iPhones. My previous phone iPhone 4 was also a launch day phone with no swap-outs.

Seems really odd. I was trying to call Apple to Apple last night, however they were closed and I can't intentionally reproduce the issue.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Exact same issue happened to me. Are any of you using refurbished/replacement phones? My only guess was that the accounts popping up were tied to the IMEI on my replacement iPhone 4.

This is very weird and needs to be explained. Anyone reported it to Apple yet?
No matter what the reason this is not to be taken lightly.

Now that Apple has a very responsible and customer friendly CEO in Tim Cook, I'm sure Apples aware of this.

Nonetheless, their lack of cloud skill is reason enough to make it obvious that iCloud my be a very risky place until Apple has a year or so to get up to speed.

matt84uk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2011
This isn't the case - for myself at least, the only music on my iPhone is what I have purchased using my (only) iTunes account.

mentallapse

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2010
I just experienced the same. My wife's email addres showed up as one of my daughters boyfriends friends showed up. I can explain my wifes email as we share our music but the other one is hard to explain as I'm not aware that I've received/shared any of his iTunes purchaces ....

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
I have three songs in my library that someone sent to me after buying them in iTunes. Everytime I've done an iCloud restore I've been prompted for their account password. I just dismiss it. There's no security problem since I already know their email addresses from the track info in iTunes. It's probably a bug since I can't see any point to signing into those accounts. iCloud just sees the addresses in track info and assumes they're my alternate accounts. I also get prompted for every legit alt iTunes account I have. I get about five prompts in total.

indisguise

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
its all on the AppleID

At least one or more of the apps, books, music, or ringtones that were purchased through those other AppleID's that keep showing up.

iCloud and iTunes in the cloud is not tied to any serial number, that doesn't matter.

this isn't an issue on apple's end, iCloud is just trying to restore your phone from the backup that it has and that backup contains content from multiple appleID's

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.