Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I got my iPhone 4S today which I'm really happy about and now it's time to sell my iPhone 4 that I am replacing. It is on iOS 5 and I just erased it, but when I go to set it up, ideally so it's like an iPod Touch, it keeps telling me I need a SIM in it to activate it.

I don't want to sell it with the SIM nor have any data pulled from the SIM onto the iPhone...is there any way to activate this thing without a SIM? Or is it actually safe to activate with my old SIM and then just remove it while not leaving any phone number or info behind? Thanks!

mloffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2009
When you ever sell any phone, you do not send the sim card to the buy under any circumstances! That is YOURS! Just pop it into the iPhone, you should be good to go. :eek:

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
When you ever sell any phone, you do not send the sim card to the buy under any circumstances! That is YOURS! Just pop it into the iPhone, you should be good to go. :eek:

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I am not going to sell it with the SIM card, but I do want to activate it so it's basically like an iPod Touch when the seller receives it.

Can I just activate it with the SIM and then remove it when selling?

doctapeppa

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2008
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I am not going to sell it with the SIM card, but I do want to activate it so it's basically like an iPod Touch when the seller receives it.

Can I just activate it with the SIM and then remove it when selling?

It does not need to be "activated" to function as an ipod touch. Restore or delete everything via settings and leave out the sim. You are then good to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.