Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier

Old Oct 14, 2011, 09:00 PM   #1
xplnusa
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to xplnusa Send a message via Yahoo to xplnusa
Find my iPhone not working right.

Okay so after updating to iOS5 I can now locate my two mac computers with the lion update, but it can't seem to locate the two iPod touches or the iPad. I've checked the setting to make sure that it says its set to on under iCloud but still nothing...

I'm hoping to upgrade our two iPhones from 3G phones (yes we're really still carrying them) to 4S phones in the next month or so.

Thanks a bunch for any help.
xplnusa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 09:14 PM   #2
quadchick10
macrumors member

I was having trouble too, but my Iphone 4 was finally located after a couple retrys. Keep trying and see what happens.
quadchick10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 09:20 PM   #3
Ashwood11
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplnusa View Post
Okay so after updating to iOS5 I can now locate my two mac computers with the lion update, but it can't seem to locate the two iPod touches or the iPad. I've checked the setting to make sure that it says its set to on under iCloud but still nothing...

I'm hoping to upgrade our two iPhones from 3G phones (yes we're really still carrying them) to 4S phones in the next month or so.

Thanks a bunch for any help.
Can the feature work with iPods and iPads that don't have 3G?
Ashwood11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 09:21 PM   #4
iggypod
macrumors 6502a

I had the same problem as well. After I toggled the on/off switch for find my iPhone in Settings > iCloud it worked again.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 09:45 PM   #5
yanki01
macrumors 65816

works ok here
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:41 PM   #6
xplnusa
macrumors regular

Great, I'll try toggling and maybe even rebooting too... Thanks guys...

It was working great on them before the upgrade...
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:57 PM   #7
SaSaSushi
macrumors 68030

Make sure the iPods and iPad are logged in with the correct iCloud (or MobileMe if they are pre-iOS 5) credentials if they've changed.

In my case, my son's iPhone 4 had stopped appearing but going to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > MobileMe on the iPhone and logging out and then in again with my new iCloud credentials got it working again.
SaSaSushi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 02:47 AM   #8
jhCanuck
macrumors newbie

additional questions about Find My Phone

i am not having technical problems getting Find My Phone to work but i am puzzled about one particular detail.

I have three iPhones (2 4's and 1 4S) using iOS5.
All three show up as traceable.

I have an impression however that Find My Phone has to be turned on (on any phone that you wish to track); is that correct?
It seems to me that if someone found or stole an iPhone they could simply turn off the App -- and it wouldn't be traceable.

Perhaps I simply misunderstand how Find My Phone works and I would appreciate being enlightened.

IF, indeed the app has to be turned on to be traceable, is there such a thing as an App that will create a lockable directory (into which Find My Phone could be placed, ensuring that it can not turned off, except by the person who knows the password.)
jhCanuck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 02:56 AM   #9
dealmaker
macrumors member

So let's use a hypothetical situation - because I must admit I am sceptical about the value of the "find my iPhone" App - in the context of it being used to recover a "lost" iPhone.......

So let's assume my son leaves his iPhone on the bus........someone picks it up.....switches it off......takes it home......removes the SIM......and then does a DFU reset on the device.....then does a factory restore .........and then restores the phone as their own device..........

.....how will find my iPhone (or any other App or service) help in that situation???

Curious
dealmaker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 11:17 AM   #10
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealmaker View Post
So let's use a hypothetical situation - because I must admit I am sceptical about the value of the "find my iPhone" App - in the context of it being used to recover a "lost" iPhone.......

So let's assume my son leaves his iPhone on the bus........someone picks it up.....switches it off......takes it home......removes the SIM......and then does a DFU reset on the device.....then does a factory restore .........and then restores the phone as their own device..........

.....how will find my iPhone (or any other App or service) help in that situation???

Curious
It won't.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:44 AM   #11
xplnusa
macrumors regular

But it sure comes in handy when the 7 year old can't remember where he set it down last, because you can send a signal to it so that it will make a chime sound...

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier