Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iYitsy

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
NY
How do I set my iPhone to only vibrate for calls and texts, and not make any noise?

iphone-4-vibrate-switch-repair-500x500.jpg

allmanbrother

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
United States
I can get it to vibrate only for calls, but texts are totally silent even though I have vibrate selected? Yes, I realize what the mute switch is, thank you. I tried that.

iYitsy

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
NY
I can get it to vibrate only for calls, but texts are totally silent even though I have vibrate selected? Yes, I realize what the mute switch is, thank you. I tried that.

Settings> Sounds > Turn the first Vibrate on for Silent

Then

Settings>Sounds>Turn on the Second vibrate above ringtone

allmanbrother

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
United States
Settings> Sounds > Turn the first Vibrate on for Silent

Then

Settings>Sounds>Turn on the Second vibrate above ringtone

Did that, still totally silent for text messages. If I select a ring sound for texts, it will vibrate but also make the noise. I can't have it making any noise, just the vibration.

iYitsy

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
NY
Did that, still totally silent for text messages. If I select a ring sound for texts, it will vibrate but also make the noise. I can't have it making any noise, just the vibration.

If you have the ringtone set and the two vibrations are on with the flip switched your phone should vibrate for text messages.

Do a simulated battery pull

Hold the home and power for about 15 seconds

WOW. That was fast!!!!

Bu,Bu,But Thats an iPhone 4. Is the iPhone 4S different?

How do you know that is an iPhone 4S or a 4?

You don't..

also that's what she said.

allmanbrother

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
United States
I just don't get it, I have both vibrations on yes. I have a text tone and a ringtone. I switch to mute, and my calls vibrate just fine with no ringtone, but the texts vibrate AND play the text tone, even though I'm on mute.

----------

If you have the ringtone set and the two vibrations are on with the flip switched your phone should vibrate for text messages.

Do a simulated battery pull

Hold the home and power for about 15 seconds

How do you know that is an iPhone 4S or a 4?

You don't..

also that's what she said.

Worked after resetting! Didn't think to even try, thanks and thanks everyone for the replies. It's so nice to have a community where we can resolve stuff so quickly.

iYitsy

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
NY
I just don't get it, I have both vibrations on yes. I have a text tone and a ringtone. I switch to mute, and my calls vibrate just fine with no ringtone, but the texts vibrate AND play the text tone, even though I'm on mute.

----------

Worked after resetting! Didn't think to even try, thanks and thanks everyone for the replies. It's so nice to have a community where we can resolve stuff so quickly.

Good luck, troubleshooting an iPhone is easy. It's all I do at work. >:l

Count the bands. The image only has three.

The steps are the same for the iPhone 4 and 4S.

Fff- I forgot to count them I was hoping to get off easily. :>

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I am confused. On Verizon iPhone 4s the antenna break in the band is also above the mute switch as well.

The 4S psychically looks identical to the Verizon iPhone. But it has FCC logos on the back. The Verizon 4 does not.

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
I am confused. On Verizon iPhone 4s the antenna break in the band is also above the mute switch as well.

But the one in your image above, doesnt have the break above the mute switch, therefore, its a 4. NOT a 4S. Thats all Im sayin'.

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
I have a bumper on mine. You just have to be sure it's one of the universal ones that fit both the CDMA and GSM 4's.

Cool. I tried to be smart and bought two extra bumpers just before the 4S came out (thought it was going to be exactly the same as the 4 and wanted to have a new bumper on the new phone). Oh well, not far enough off to make it a loss. Im still happy.

allmanbrother

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
United States
Cool. I tried to be smart and bought two extra bumpers just before the 4S came out (thought it was going to be exactly the same as the 4 and wanted to have a new bumper on the new phone). Oh well, not far enough off to make it a loss. Im still happy.

Which one is it? You want the one on the right.

Attachments

• apple_universal_iphone_4_bumper.jpg
    apple_universal_iphone_4_bumper.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 141

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
Your bumper is going to get so dirty. I can't stand bumpers anymore, they're good for the first couple of days but after that they get so gross.

Thats why I get black. So I cant SEE the grossness. :rolleyes:

Ill look for the *right* bumper once the ones I just but go bad. now I know. thanks

jimckimmel

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2009

----------

Glad it worked for you. I'm having the same issue - no vibration when an email or text message comes in. I've tried resetting the phone as noted above, but still no luck... I think it's a software issue, though, not hardware - the phone vibrates when I turn the vibration settings on, and it vibrates when the phone rings....

Also, anyone else think the vibration in the 4s is a bit weak? I know they're using a different motor, but it feels kind of soft...

allmanbrother

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
United States
Ugh it's happening again. It's set to mute and I have both vibration settings on. Calls vibrate fine but messages are totally silent and I end up looking at my phone and seeing 5 new messages that never vibrated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.