Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJon

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
Apple has just now discontinued the 15 inch Flat Panels for the G4's. Hopefull this means new Displays soon. Just have to wait and see.

iJon

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Do you mean they have announced that they will, or that they actually have? Because it's still available for me:

Attachments

• applelcd15.jpg
    applelcd15.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 379

samdweck

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2002
1 Infinite Loop
Re: 15 inch Flat Panels Discontinued

Originally posted by iJon
Apple has just now discontinued the 15 inch Flat Panels for the G4's. Hopefull this means new Displays soon. Just have to wait and see.

iJon

the imac or the g4... omg whoa!

iJon

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
i checked apple's site too and i guess they havent changed it yet. I am just quoting what my official business letter said from apple. hopefully that will make more sense of things. I am also talking about the seperate flat panels for the g4, not the imac.

iJon

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
The 15" flatpanels are still available online at the Apple Store with an estimated shipping time of 1-2 days. I see no change.

samdweck

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2002
1 Infinite Loop
I work at an authorized Apple dealer and we got an email confirming that they are discontinued and they cant be ordered anymore. i checked apple's site too and say that. I am just quoting what my official business letter said from apple. hopefully that will make more sense of things. I am also talking about the seperate flat panels for the g4, not the imac.

iJon

oh good okay, i thought my comp had been discontinued.. thank god... it is pretty new too... well relatively!

iJon

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
I will look more into this email. But from my past experiences this has always meant discontinued products. Possibly they are still on the apple store to clear out inventory. Who knows. I will further update you guys on the situation. But I am pretty sure this means that they are discontinued and there are new displays possibly coming soon.

iJon

samdweck

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2002
1 Infinite Loop
I will look more into this email. But from my past experiences this has always meant discontinued products. Possibly they are still on the apple store to clear out inventory. Who knows. I will further update you guys on the situation. But I am pretty sure this means that they are discontinued and there are new displays possibly coming soon.

iJon

could it possiblley be a hoax???? !!!:confused: :eek:

ScottF

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2001
15" LCD is no longer in production for Apple.

Apple have discontinued the 15" LCD. The stock levels are low and they not replacing them. Apple only want 3 displays. 17" 22" and the awsom 23". We have been informed by Apple that it has been discontinued. Product ordering will stop when Apple have ran out (about a month). It is NOT the iMac.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
you work for apple at age 17?? that's cool...... i'm surprised you'd have access to this type of info. didn't you have to sign some type of nda?

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
A hoax? Why would they bother... iJon is probably right. The 15" displays probably are discontinued to resellers and only available at the Apple Stores to clear inventory. We'll probably be seeing new displays within a month or so.

I wouldn't expect the Apple Stores to stop selling displays the instant they give resellers EOLs. All I hope is that this means the 17" LCD becomes the bottom screen and a new 19" widescreen makes its debut. That's what I've been waiting for. :cool:

dabirdwell

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2002
Oklahoma
14" iBooks gone too!

A buddy of mine who works at an Apple distributor told me a week or two ago that he has been told that he cannot order any more 14 inch iBooks either. Think this means anything?

Also, some Crazy deals coming up around the world and on EBay for Apple notebooks, I have been researching lately.

David

iJon

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
you work for apple at age 17?? that's cool...... i'm surprised you'd have access to this type of info. didn't you have to sign some type of nda?
My parents have owned an apple store for about 17 years now. I have always been around macs and i know quite a deal of info for my age. I have already gone through sales training that the official apple store employees go through. I also have atendted many apple seminars and conventions. I am also in the learn and earn program and a couple of years ago i was 2nd in the country, pretty cool feeling. As for the guy that said it was a hoax,it wouldn't be worth my time to start a rumor about a 15 inch monitor. I know a good deal of info so you guys can believe me,i wouldnt lie to these forums becuase i like to read other forums myself and be able to believe them. If any of you would like to chat or anything I am on AIM: JTaylor2D. and my email is JTaylor2D@ipa.net. Feel free to chat about any upcoming things I may know about. Oh yeah, I am only 16, 17 next month.

iJon

samdweck

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2002
1 Infinite Loop

My parents have owned an apple store for about 17 years now. I have always been around macs and i know quite a deal of info for my age. I have already gone through sales training that the official apple store employees go through. I also have atendted many apple seminars and conventions. I am also in the learn and earn program and a couple of years ago i was 2nd in the country, pretty cool feeling. As for the guy that said it was a hoax,it wouldn't be worth my time to start a rumor about a 15 inch monitor. I know a good deal of info so you guys can believe me,i wouldnt lie to these forums becuase i like to read other forums myself and be able to believe them. If any of you would like to chat or anything I am on AIM: JTaylor2D. and my email is JTaylor2D@ipa.net. Feel free to chat about any upcoming things I may know about. Oh yeah, I am only 16, 17 next month.

iJon

oh, i totally didn't say it was a hoax, i was meaning could it be one??? not blaming or accusing or insinuating... sorry if it sounded like it... btw, i think it's crazy cool u work for apple... u go! btw, if u can get any inside info that ur allowed to tell, please do!!!

iJon

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by samdweck

oh, i totally didn't say it was a hoax, i was meaning could it be one??? not blaming or accusing or insinuating... sorry if it sounded like it... btw, i think it's crazy cool u work for apple... u go! btw, if u can get any inside info that ur allowed to tell, please do!!!
Thats cool man. I wasnt trying to accuse you either, i just misunderstood what you wrote. I guess everything will make sense if new monitors come out. which i think they will because apple cant make money when all their monitors are over a thousand. my guesses are the 17 inch imac screen (widescreen) will replace the old 17 inch and be broughten down as the low end screen at a comparable price to the 15. then a 19 or 20 inch widescreen display. and then i think they will keep the 22 and 23, who knows though. time will tell.

iJon

samdweck

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2002
1 Infinite Loop

Thats cool man. I wasnt trying to accuse you either, i just misunderstood what you wrote. I guess everything will make sense if new monitors come out. which i think they will because apple cant make money when all their monitors are over a thousand. my guesses are the 17 inch imac screen (widescreen) will replace the old 17 inch and be broughten down as the low end screen at a comparable price to the 15. then a 19 or 20 inch widescreen display. and then i think they will keep the 22 and 23, who knows though. time will tell.

iJon

Now that sounds way cool!! BTW, could you please e-mail me any information you have on a new release of iChat.,.. you know htey need one badly: samdweck@mac.com

Also, I think a 19 screen would be odd on the imac b/c the base would look funny being that small. maybe w/ a bigger base? i don't know... do you? and 23 sound whoa big!!!

iJon

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by samdweck

Now that sounds way cool!! BTW, could you please e-mail me any information you have on a new release of iChat.,.. you know htey need one badly: samdweck@mac.com

Also, I think a 19 screen would be odd on the imac b/c the base would look funny being that small. maybe w/ a bigger base? i don't know... do you? and 23 sound whoa big!!!
I am not talking about the imac, i am talking about serperate monitors for the g4 towers. my whole post has nothing to do with imacs. this is only seperate flat panel displays.

iJon

samdweck

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2002
1 Infinite Loop

I am not talking about the imac, i am talking about serperate monitors for the g4 towers. my whole post has nothing to do with imacs. this is only seperate flat panel displays.

iJon

okay, i will forget it and pretty much leave here now lol thanks for all ur help, and mail me anything about ichat

Macpoops

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2002
PA
One of my fraternity brothers just ordered a 1.25 ghz powermac and a 15 inch display. They called him the day after he ordered it and told him the display was on backorder. He ordered from the apple store on the web. Take it for what it's worth, it could mean they are actually on backorder or it could mean something new is coming. Either way it said 1-2 days on the site when he ordered but obviously it didn't make it.

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
Cheaper 17"?

If they do nix the 15" LCD, I hope this means they will lower the 17" LCD monitors down to $600. If so, I'm buying one! At first, I thought that the 17" didn't offer much greater width than the 15", but when I compared it up to a 15" iMac screen, I could tell that it was larger. I'm just not overly crazy with the more squarish shape of the 17", but hey, I wouldn't say 'no' to getting one. As long as the price comes down. If they stick at $999, then I'll probably look around elsewhere for a 15", or just have to keep waiting another year or so before getting an LCD monitor. That or get a good job where I don't mind dishing out so much money for a monitor. Think of the number of large CRT displays I could get for $1000. At least two or three decent CRT monitors. Oh, what a glorious day it will be when we can buy cheap 22" or 23" LCD monitors for just a few hundred dollars (or currency of your choice). Hey, I wouldn't mind dishing out 300 Yen for a nice Apple LCD monitor!

whitegold

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2001
Brisbane, Australia
Why would they do this?

Forgive my ignorance, but why would apple do this? What benefit is there to dropping the 15" product line? Sure 17" are a better monitor, but so what? In terms of business it doesn't make much sense.

17" monitors are simply more expensive to produce than 15". By a lot. This is for 2 reasons. They're bigger, contain more stuff, etc, but more importantly because the bigger the monitor, the higher the resolution, the more pixels, and therefore the more pixel failures.

They would be replacing an item with a more expensive one, presumably dropping the price on the more expensive one to compensate. This would mean either a loss, or a profit cut, something apple can't afford. Either that or a substantial increase in the overall price of a complete Apple system, which may well impact on sales.

I'm not saying this is a bad decision... just one that I really don't understand. Though personally I was against dropping CRT monitors in the first place. I vastly prefer them.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
This could be true since the price of the 15" iMac was reduced by $100. They may be trying to move the stock out quickly and that would certainly help to move in a new line with larger screens.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
iJon is right, the 15" iMacs are gone from our MAPs. They are discontinued and we cannot order them from Apple anymore. BTW, I'm 17, and I also work at an Apple Store (not one of The Apple Stores).

JW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.