Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

will0407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2006
I got my 4s yesterday. I set it up and put it on my dock to give it a full charge. It got to 100% although I left it another hour or so. I took it out of the dock, with wifi on (bluetooth off), and went to bed. wake up 9 hours later and it's down to 83%.....is this normal?!!

17% seems like a big drop considering I've literally done nothing with it, and the iphone 4s battery is supposed to be better. My iphone 4 doesn't drop by that much overnight and that always has bluetooth on.

Have I done something wrong in terms of the first time charge? I thought batteries these days didnt need a big first time charge

Globetrotter

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2007
London
4s standby time is 200 hours, whereas 4 was 300 so you're gonna get worse standby time

only thing i can think of is if you have push enabled for mail

or, if you have a location based reminder set

will0407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2006
Glad I'm not the only one! I'm going to apple to get my iphone 4 replaced later cos the bumper i've been using has left marks on the silver band. So hopefully my sister will be getting a nice new (well refurbed!) iphone 4.

Just wondering whether to ask about the 4s battery, not that they're likely to do anything at this stage as Ive had it less than a day!

----------

4s standby time is 200 hours, whereas 4 was 300 so you're gonna get worse standby time

only thing i can think of is if you have push enabled for mail

or, if you have a location based reminder set

I thought the 4s was meant to have better battery life??

with a rough calculation, my 4s would have 50 hours of standby time with wifi on. I don't have push notifications on, no bluetooth, nor any reminders set....so thats 50hours with me not touching it! God knows what it'll be when I start using it properly.

senc01a

macrumors regular
May 31, 2007
Why don't you try this?
Close all apps, leave it in flight mode and check. You will probably only use something like 1 - 4% of the battery overnight.
Then slowly put things back to normal. Check the next night without the flight mode, then with more apps.
You might also wanna try to remove the email addresses for the test.
Good luck.

I had the same thing with the iPhone 4, and I realize that it was cause I had Skype running on the background most of the times.
GL!

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Are you sure it wasn't doing initial WiFi or iCloud backups? That can take a long time and use a lot of juice. Maybe tomorrow night put it in Airplane Mode and see what happens. Then you can narrow it down to communications or something else.

wutang61

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Solution: plug your phone in when sleeping

flipswitch84

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
My iphone4s is showing similar results; battery drops quite quickly.I thought it was maybe my phone, but other people here are having the same thing happen.

When I use it,it drops about 1% or some every 5 minutes.

Could it be bug in the OS! Or is it typically how the 4s runs?

One more thing. Is there any difference in charging using a speaker dock than using the power adaptor?

I am going to let it fully drain then charge it all the way up to see how it goes.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
My 4S battery is draining very slowly when idle (on, but slept), so far not even 1% decrease in 3 hours. But, I don't have it activated on the cel network yet, it's just on WiFi. But anyway, drainage like that definitely can't be considered normal. Shut the phone off and reboot it, the try Airplane Mode to see if it makes a difference.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Insane. But listen to this! I went to sleep at half 1AM with the phone @ 70%. Wifi on, 3g on (its always on), bluetooth off, push email on.

Woke up at 730 and the phone was DEAD. I charged it up to 30% asap, then fell back asleep from 8-9. when I woke up it was still 30%.

Very confused!

will0407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2006
Insane. But listen to this! I went to sleep at half 1AM with the phone @ 70%. Wifi on, 3g on (its always on), bluetooth off, push email on.

Woke up at 730 and the phone was DEAD. I charged it up to 30% asap, then fell back asleep from 8-9. when I woke up it was still 30%.

Very confused!

hmm, maybe it needs a few charges to sort itself out.

Anyway...come on wales!!!

SOLLERBOY

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Like someone said before me, the standby time is 100 hours less, also iCloud and its related features use a bit I think, The main thing to consider is that the battery won't hold a normal charge until a few cycles have gone through it.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

My battery is dropping quick on my 4S too. But I think it takes a few cycles to work properly.

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
The battery definitely takes a few cycles to charge properly, so I'd give it a few days before comfortably deciding it's the battery life it was meant to have. Also, I first noted on my iPhone 4 with iOS 5 that Reminders, when turned on with iCloud, somehow used a great deal of background usage time in the General-Usage tab. Turning that off in the iCloud tab seemed to cut down the usage time and thus the battery drop. I've only had my 4S since last night so I can't tell you how quickly it's dropping yet, but I did notice excess usage time despite not using the phone, so I turned off the iCloud reminders sync. Too bad, I would love to have my iPad show the same reminders.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Like someone said before me, the standby time is 100 hours less, also iCloud and its related features use a bit I think, The main thing to consider is that the battery won't hold a normal charge until a few cycles have gone through it.

According to John Gruber, Apple rounds the standby estimates off to the nearest 100 hours (because Apple is just anal like that, they love nice round numbers...except when it comes to .99, $9.99, etc.). So the difference is probably not 100 hours. It could be like the iPhone 4 got 265 and the 4S got 235 or something like that.

benjamin9876

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2009
last night i slept at 2.30am, after a full charged 100%, today wake up at 11.30am. it only 53% left?!!!! that is unacceptable.
wifi on. 3g on. bluetooth off, push on. And no App on background running!!!

this is kind of ridicious . since my 3gs do way better than it.:mad:

BiscuitsNGravy

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2011
Last night I went to sleep with my phone at 100%

This morning I woke up with it at 100% Why, because I plugged it in. :)

But, I notice the battery is draining fairly quick, but it's brand new and really hasn't had many cycles. Probably need to calibrate.

Just give it some time before having a melt down. ;P

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.