Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 15, 2011, 04:07 AM   #1
NathP
macrumors member

iPhone 4S has no sound through speaker

I brought a iPhone 4S yesterday and I notice that I don't hear any sound such as alert sounds, keyboard clicks or lock sounds even though they are all turned on in the sound settings. The only sound that does work is the ring tone. Youtube has no sound either.

If I make a call and then put it on speaker then bizarrely all sounds work but only during the phone call, when I end the call all the sounds stop working. If I press the volume up and down buttons on the side "Ringer" comes up but with no bar below it to say what volume it is at currently.

If I plug headphones in I can hear all the sounds perfectly fine through the headphones.

I've tried restoring the phone and setting it up as a new iPhone but that hasn't worked

Genius Bar appointment I think!
NathP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 04:35 AM   #2
teeshot
macrumors newbie

Make sure you have taken off ALL of the protecting plastic shipping protection from the phone. The speaker is still covered I bet.
teeshot is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 04:55 AM   #3
Mademan12321
macrumors 6502

Make sure you flip the switch on the side. I made the same mistake.
Mademan12321 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:56 PM   #4
Meowow
macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem. I have an reservation made for apple tomorrow so I'll let you know what they say!
Meowow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:03 PM   #5
scootaru
macrumors 6502

There is a separate volume for media and ringer. If you double-click while on the lock screen, you can adjust the media volume. Make sure it's turned up.
scootaru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:25 PM   #6
Meowow
macrumors newbie

I was wondering if you had found any fix to your problem. My sound goes away and comes back randomly even while I am watching videos. I wasn't able to recreate it at the apple store and they told me to come back if the problem persists.
Meowow is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone