Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Syltaldo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
My wife has an old iPhone 3G and an iPad 2.
I`ve set her iPad up with iOS 5, along with my own iPad and iPhone 4.

Now when sending her messages in the iPhone Messages app, it ONLY wants to send her iMessages. Meaning I can`t send messages to her iPhone 3G anymore. It defaults to iMessages every time and they only show up on her iPad.

Is there some setting I can change, or is this Apple assuming that anybody using iMessages on iPod/iPad, also has an iPhone 3GS or newer?
Right now I`m looking at deactivating iMessage on her iPad so I can at least reach her cell.

Fliesen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
Austria
her only having iOS 5 on an iPad should have never associated her PHONE NUMBER with iMessage on apple's servers.

you should be able to send her iMessages by using her email address (appleID) as recepient and texts by using her phone number.

are you sure, the recepient in of the 'conversation' on your phone isn't her AppleID, but REALLY her number?

Syltaldo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
I went into the Contact Info pane, and selected Send Text, and then selected her phone number. Now I have to separate conversations with her, which sucks, but at least I can differentiate between SMS and iMEssage.

I´ll just have to get her an iPhone 4S when it hits norway in to weeks.

Thanks.

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
If this is happening it means you are sending the message to her email address rather than her mobile phone number. Go to the main page of the Messages app, click the + for a new message, and select her mobile phone number. This will create a second conversation with her, but to this number rather than to her email address.

Edit: Oops, late to the party. Glad you got it sorted anyway.

Fliesen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
Austria
I went into the Contact Info pane, and selected Send Text, and then selected her phone number. Now I have to separate conversations with her, which sucks, but at least I can differentiate between SMS and iMEssage.

I´ll just have to get her an iPhone 4S when it hits norway in to weeks.

Thanks.

yeah, that's as good as it gets for you.
if you had a single conversation, the iPhone would have no way to tell whether you want the message to be sent to her phone number or her iMessage account (-> iPad)

jaded-mandarin

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2008
UK
It would be good if there was a way in which you could switch between the iMessages and texts within a single message thread. It's a bit of a pain speaking to my friend who has an iPad 2 and a HTC for his phone. I have two separate conversation threads in my messages. A simple tab within one message pane that switched between sending a txt to the phone number or an iMessage to the verified email address could work two ways: It could keep all iMessage/txts in one unified conversation log, with the button just telling your iPhone/:apple: device which device to send the message to. The colour differentiation (green/blue) would let you know which message was which. Or it could just flick between separate conversations but within one message thread.

2vxix00.png

Excuse the poor Photoshop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.