Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlexanderTT

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2011
Liverpool, UK
What is everyone expecting/hoping for?
I'd say an announcement Feb/March with release March/April anyone agree?
Do you think we'll get a redesign?
Any software changes?
Maybe Siri on iPad 3?

Feel free to discuss whatever about the iPad 3
Now that the iPhone 4S is out, the iPad 3 Rumor Mill can be at full speed!

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
To be honest, I think Apple would see they've nailed the design and it's only going to be internals and perhaps the screen.

Little things like a speaker grill or perhaps a thunderbolt port, or something but I can't see anything else changing.

If they try thinner they are going to compromise on internal space for circuitry and battery. When thy dump the IPS screen and go to OLED then they can shave off another couple of mm easily.

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
To be honest, I think Apple would see they've nailed the design and it's only going to be internals and perhaps the screen.

Little things like a speaker grill or perhaps a thunderbolt port, or something but I can't see anything else changing.

If they try thinner they are going to compromise on internal space for circuitry and battery. When thy dump the IPS screen and go to OLED then they can shave off another couple of mm easily.

I agree with the design. It'll be a spec bump, new screen, better CPU, more memory better gpu.
Siri for software.

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Gotta agree with both Piggle and VPrime.
However, one thing I would like to see improved on iPad 3 is: 3/5MP Camera (the one that's being used on iPhone, perhaps?)
Although people wouldn't use camera that much on the iPad, it would be a nice upgrade since it has the same camera as iPod Touch 4 does, and I would hate to upgrade to iPad 3 without any improvement on the camera.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Gotta agree with both Piggle and VPrime.
However, one thing I would like to see improved on iPad 3 is: 3/5MP Camera (the one that's being used on iPhone, perhaps?)
Although people wouldn't use camera that much on the iPad, it would be a nice upgrade since it has the same camera as iPod Touch 4 does, and I would hate to upgrade to iPad 3 without any improvement on the camera.

Oh yes, I forgot about that.
Without question there will be a camera upgrade.

Siri needs to be improved so it can launch apps though & 3rd party apps/games can use it.

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
I'd like it to be lighter for certain, not sure it needs to be any thinner. A retina display is a must, in my opinion. I imagine we might see a FaceTime HD camera too. Siri is a strong possibility. I'd also love to try out a 7 inch model.

4zuresky

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2011
Alarm app
flash for camera on the back
8 mp camera
1080p recording
retina display
A6 processor
Hd FaceTime camera
even battery :D

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
I think it will be the following:

-A6 with improved CPU and GPU
-RAM increase to 768 MB (don't think they are going to 1 GB)
-Same case design with some weight shaved off
-Better cameras, but nowhere near iP 4S
-No retina or if available, it'll be at a higher cost. I don't think the technology is cheap enough to be mainstream.
-Release in the summer instead of spring since iPhone is moved to fall. Spring was always a weird time to release it since pretty close to holiday shopping. Also there are rumors that A6 won't be ready until summer.

Crazy one: 7 inch iPad if Amazon Fire is a runaway hit.

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Crazy one: 7 inch iPad if Amazon Fire is a runaway hit.

haha, that'd actually be nice :)
I wonder if they will keep the 4:3 ratio though? I always found 4:3 to be good on the iPad, but on a smaller device, maybe they could make it 16:9?

jomazz

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2011
Ipad pro

I would still love to see an Ipad Pro with a larger screen (8.5x11) ,more memory,faster cpu and all around souped up performance.I mainly use my Ipads1&2 to compose music with the myriad of amazing music & synthesizer apps and I would gladly pay extra for an Ipad Pro.I cant get over what truly creative devices these things are!

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Possibly a new Liquidmetal body which would eliminate the need for the black plastic window on 3G models.

Quad core A6 processor with 1GB RAM and better GPU to drive the new display.

4x-pixel display (Retina I guess, but it won't be the same density as the iPhone 4)

Same battery life.

Not any thinner, really it's thin enough and they'll need a bigger battery.

HD Facetime camera. Don't really care about rear camera, the front is more important for the iPad.

iOS 5.2 with update weather, stocks, and clock apps for the iPad. Weather and stocks aren't so important if they eventually let devs add their own widgets, but a built in alarm clock would be nice.

Siri, optimized for the iPad's screen size.

iPad 2 stays as a production model, WiFi only, black and white, only one storage size for $399.

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
My wants:

Lighter
Siri
Better cameras
A6
More memory
Same or better battery
Retina display

I'd also welcome a 7" iPad.

One very minor personal request would be to swap the black Apple logo (at least on the white ones) for one like we have on MacBooks, so it would illuminate when active.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Whatever your expectations are, just remember to keep them realistic. You saw what happened between iPhone 3G/3GS and 4/4S. I have a feeling that there will be some huge disappointments, but I wish I'm wrong. I have a feeling that retina display is still several years away.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
Retina display
Siri

These two would be enough to make it fantastic.

Icing on the cake:
more memory, maybe up to 1GB
better battery life
add a page layout version of Pages
allow hyperlinks in Keynote
add a way to create interactive documents, maybe as export from Pages and Keynote.
Interactive meaning I need hyperlinks and embedded movies and popup thumbnails.*

*I'm aware of the various interactive document efforts. It would be nice to have Apple make something akin to a Prosumer level application. Good enough to make really nice documents for teaching and sharing, not up to the level needed to produce a professional magazine. How nice if a high school student could write a report that included a short video or a few thumbnails of larger pictures or charts and that this could be exported to an interactive PDF (iPDF?) that could be played in iBooks or Goodreader. Maybe there would be a thumbnail showing a picture of an object and when you tap it you get a Quicktime VR object that you can inspect on all sides.

TheSuperSteve

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2011
Puerto Rico
I don't know but for some reason I'm not expecting an iPad 3 but an iPad 2S.

I expect same form factor as iPad 2 but lighter. Same processor. Same ram. Siri. Retina Display. Lighter but not thinner. Perhaps a better camera. But more than that I doubt it.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I expect that it will be running an A6 processor.

I hope Apple will recognize the potential market with artists and give the iPad 3 a proper digitizer pen. Or at least an improved capacitive sensor that can pick up a much finer point.

PS. I'm not talking about replacing the finger-friendly input. It would just be a tool for when greater precision is desired.

An in-cell touchscreen (that is one which is integrated into the same glass substrate as the display itself) could shave off a few millimeters as well.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.