Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M33-1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
How many iPhone 4s users will wake up this morning with ridiculously low batteries? It seems with Siri, location based reminders, iCloud, iTunes sync, etc. This may be a real issue.

I'm not against charging my new phone whenever I'm near a plugin, but that kind of defeats the point of having a mobile phone. I will try turning off features to save power and see if it defeats the whole new ios5 experience.

Please, other iPhone 4s users weigh in this morning, honestly.

pittster

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
UK
yup, same for me.

went to bed it was about 80%.... woke up this morning 8 hrs later.... 35%.

never had this with my iPhone 4

PhazonUK

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
Well of course it's going to run down the battery if you have all those features turned on. WOuld be the same for the 4 and 3GS as well, not just the 4S.

My 4S is on 57% now but I can't remember what it was on before I went to sleep. It was on 100% around 7 o'clock last night though with a fair bit of usage since then.

EDIT: A big drain will the the location based reminders as your GPS is on constantly.
Also, a few iCloud features will only work when on WiFi anyway, as well as iTunes sync which also requires it to be plunged in (I think).

AML225

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
Went to bed with 100% and woke up with 99%. This is with two reminders and every possible feature except bluetooth turned on.

pittster

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
UK
I've drained the battery down to 2% today and am charging to 100% via the wall plug.

will see how it goes this evening/overnight.

if location based reminders are on and GPS is used, surely they are inactive when the phone is in 'sleep' mode overnight? or am i wrong??

Ksizzle9

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Had mine for almost 24 hours now, haven't charged it yet and have about 60% left, one problem I have Is on the new keyboard. The number button that used to be lager is now smaller and there is a microphone in its place. Oh well.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
Who here has fully charged their new iPhone's? It takes several charge and discharges for lithium ion batteries to achieve their peak.

PhazonUK

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Had mine for almost 24 hours now, haven't charged it yet and have about 60% left, one problem I have Is on the new keyboard. The number button that used to be lager is now smaller and there is a microphone in its place. Oh well.

I can see I'm going to be hitting that dictation button by mistake quite often...

notjustgc

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
I think people are underestimating how long the restore process takes. Especially if you are restoring from an iCloud backup, it takes several hours for most people to download your entire library of photos and videos, long after all your apps and purchases have been synced.

FWIW, I think night 2 is going to be a lot less of a battery drain than night 1 with our new toys.

nimski62

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2008
I think people are underestimating how long the restore process takes. Especially if you are restoring from an iCloud backup, it takes several hours for most people to download your entire library of photos and videos, long after all your apps and purchases have been synced.

FWIW, I think night 2 is going to be a lot less of a battery drain than night 1 with our new toys.

iCloud only runs when the iPhone is PLUGGED IN.. So no effect on battery.

M33-1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
It looks like its not just a 4s issue with the added Siri feature, but maybe more of an iOS 5 issue. I did notice my iPhone 4 with ios 5 loaded drained a bit faster.

Any iPhone 3GS, and 4 users with battery issues using ios 5?

There is a thread started on this over at Apple. It's gaining momentum:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/16345085#16345085

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA
I have an iPhone 4 but here is my input:

I have been running iOS 5 GM for over a week now. It has actually improved my battery life over 4.3; and I use all the standard features such as push notifications, location services, etc.

But then last night I migrated over to iCloud from MobileMe, and then installed Find my Friends and set that up. I fell asleep with 90% battery remaining. 6 hours later I woke up on my own and wondered why my alarm did not wake me up; my phone was dead.

I'm going to do some testing and see if it was Find my Friends doing constant location services calls in the background..

BAZ1307

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
Newcastle, UK
I went to bed with 100% and woke up with 97%. This is with absolutely everything turned on. That's not so bad IMO as I'm the kind of person who plugs in their gadgets to charge when I'm not using them. And with iOS5/Wifi Sync, it's even more encouraging to do so.

When I'm more bothered about saving battery, obviously I will take some precautionary measures to make sure it doesn't die on me right in the nick of time. So far, I'm impressed with my iPhone 4S's battery life. Compare that to my old phone which lasted about an hour and a half using the incredibly slow internet, and it's certainly an improvement.

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA
I went to bed with 100% and woke up with 97%. This is with absolutely everything turned on. That's not so bad IMO as I'm the kind of person who plugs in their gadgets to charge when I'm not using them. And with iOS5/Wifi Sync, it's even more encouraging to do so.

When I'm more bothered about saving battery, obviously I will take some precautionary measures to make sure it doesn't die on me right in the nick of time. So far, I'm impressed with my iPhone 4S's battery life. Compare that to my old phone which lasted about an hour and a half using the incredibly slow internet, and it's certainly an improvement.

Do you use iCloud or have Find my Friends installed?

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
I think Siri is pretty battery intesive if your constantly asking it questions all the time. But after were done playing with Siri, and only use it once in awhile as needed I don't think you will see the battery hit.

The location based remindrs are bunk cause we all know that the GPS drains the battery faster then you can say 4G. Good idea never to use this feature and just set time based ones indstead.

lw9090

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2008
I noticed in Beta that if you set a reminder with a location it really drains the battery. I think it is because GPS is always on.

BAZ1307

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
Newcastle, UK
Do you use iCloud or have Find my Friends installed?

I backup my iPhone and iPad to iCloud, and I have Find My Friends/Find My iPhone installed on both. I literally do have everything enabled... Even location services with location reminders, Bluetooth and wifi.

What I done when I first got my iPhone 4S was use it until it was completely drained, then fully charged it to 100%. So I'm not sure if this has any kind of impact on battery life...

ttam110

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
i came here to post this. battery was at 98% before going to sleep. Wake up and its 85%. Shouldn't be that much of a drop w/o doing anything.

And no, iCloud does not back up when the device is not plugged in.

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005

I'm going to calibrate my battery today but reminders with locations don't have a profound effect on battery drain...at least not on my iPhone 4. It uses signal triangulation rather than GPS, which the phone is constantly doing anyway. This is why a reminder pops up in the vicinity of where it should rather than at the exact location.

pittpanthersfan

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2009

Mine dropped from 94% to 90% overnight. Really trying to kill the battery now to fully discharge and initiate a fresh recharge cycle.

nimski62

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2008
I am pretty sure the people who restored from a previous iPhone backup are having issues, and the people that set up as new phone are fine.

jkane08

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2008
Philadelphia
I am pretty sure the people who restored from a previous iPhone backup are having issues, and the people that set up as new phone are fine.

I set up as a brand new phone.. I lose 1% for every minute I have the phone on.. And 1% every 2-3 minutes in standby.. All push and sync options have been turned off...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.