Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier

Old Oct 15, 2011, 08:18 AM   #1
Dorfdad
macrumors 6502

How do you backup Photos to the iCloud? Not Photostream

I have a question and I'm not sure I understand how this works. I know you can turn on photostream and iCloud will backup the most recent 1000 photos from your idevice.

The question I have is my wife is HORRIBLE at updating here iphone to the iMac and shes has tons of pictures and videos on the phone that we need to make sure get backed up.

Is there a separate even paid icloud feature that will do like a complete system backup to the cloud all photos etc even if there are over 1000? or is photostream the only thing we got for backup?
Old Oct 15, 2011, 08:21 AM   #2
rwwest7
macrumors regular

I thought it was the last 30 days of pictures? I too am looking for a way to manually add old photos to the stream. I know it can be done from a Mac via iPhoto.
rwwest7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:21 AM   #3
Xultar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwwest7 View Post
I thought it was the last 30 days of pictures? I too am looking for a way to manually add old photos to the stream. I know it can be done from a Mac via iPhoto.
It brought over my photos from MobileMe.
Xultar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:26 AM   #4
kappaknight
macrumors 65816

My guess is until iCloud.com gets a dedicated Photos icon - meaning, full management; there probably isn't a real way to backup our albums. It makes sense cause some of our libraries are over 100 gigs.
kappaknight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:33 AM   #5
M-5
macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I believe that the new photos you take after the iCloud update should be saved into your Photo Stream (most recent 1000 Photos), and they're also automatically backed up in iPhoto in an event.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:39 AM   #6
J@ffa
macrumors 6502a

The 1,000 limit is how many Photo Stream itself can hold at any one time. So if you take 1,500 pictures, only the most recent thousand are in it. However, Photo Stream images get automatically imported into your library. You need to have Photo Stream enabled on your Mac for this, however, and it requires Lion 10.7.2 (you do this via the iCloud section of System Preferences). Test it out and make sure it works for you first though!
J@ffa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:01 AM   #7
techguy40
macrumors regular

Does your Mac have to be on for it to automatically import to your library event?
techguy40 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 01:33 PM   #8
rwhetman
macrumors newbie

Moving OLD photos/videos in iPod touch Photostream to save in PC folder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfdad View Post
I have a question and I'm not sure I understand how this works. I know you can turn on photostream and iCloud will backup the most recent 1000 photos from your idevice.

The question I have is my wife is HORRIBLE at updating here iphone to the iMac and shes has tons of pictures and videos on the phone that we need to make sure get backed up.

Is there a separate even paid icloud feature that will do like a complete system backup to the cloud all photos etc even if there are over 1000? or is photostream the only thing we got for backup?
I know this post is kind of older, but . . .

The only way I have figured to do this for myself is to select all the photos in my Photostream that are too OLD to be transferred via iCloud, and "move" them to "Camera Roll." Then access them from the PC by opening "My Computer", and clicking on "Apple iPod". Then Click "Internal Storage", then "DCIM". From there open the folders individually and copy/paste contents into your backup folder on your PC. Tried to copy/paste just the folders and it didn't bring the contents with it.

If there is a better way out there, PLEASE let me know!
rwhetman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 02:57 PM   #9
FSMBP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfdad View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhetman View Post
I know this post is kind of older, but . . .

The only way I have figured to do this for myself is to select all the photos in my Photostream that are too OLD to be transferred via iCloud, and "move" them to "Camera Roll." Then access them from the PC by opening "My Computer", and clicking on "Apple iPod". Then Click "Internal Storage", then "DCIM". From there open the folders individually and copy/paste contents into your backup folder on your PC. Tried to copy/paste just the folders and it didn't bring the contents with it.

If there is a better way out there, PLEASE let me know!
In all your iCloud backups, it saves your entire Camera Roll automatically everyday.
Attached Images

Old May 22, 2012, 03:43 PM   #10
chiefpavvy
macrumors 6502a

I think it is a safe bet Apple will announce something at WWDC in a few weeks which will be the iCloud equivalent of MobileMe Galleries. So sit back and sit tight.
chiefpavvy is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 07:47 PM   #11
CosmoPilot
macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted

iCloud backs up your camera roll. If you never purge your camera roll, you'll bump into your free 5GB limit sooner rather than later.

Photo stream maintains 1000 photos as said before. You can set iPhoto to automatically import Photo Stream pics. The only issue, is your Mac must be connected to the Internet so it can assess Photo Stream.

My recommendation, have your wife turn on the computer once in awhile and open up iPhoto so the automatic imports can take place. This coupled with a good Time Machine backup will keep you honest.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 08:15 AM   #12
ZballZ
macrumors regular

Easy fix...

There is a handy little app that makes this very easy.

"PhotoSync." - I think it is a couple of dollars in the app store.

It lets you backup your photos (and videos) by a single button-click on the phone. It then copies all your recent photos (since last backup) to a designated folder on your mac. Obviously, your mac needs to be on, and the mac and iphone have to be on the same network...

I really dont like iPhoto, never have, and didn't want to do all my photo-backups thru iphoto. A friend of mine recommended the photosync app - and it has worked flawlessly!!
(and I am no in any way connected to the creators of the app)

Give it a shot !

zballz.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 08:22 AM   #13
CosmoPilot
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZballZ View Post
There is a handy little app that makes this very easy.

"PhotoSync." - I think it is a couple of dollars in the app store.

It lets you backup your photos (and videos) by a single button-click on the phone. It then copies all your recent photos (since last backup) to a designated folder on your mac. Obviously, your mac needs to be on, and the mac and iphone have to be on the same network...

I really dont like iPhoto, never have, and didn't want to do all my photo-backups thru iphoto. A friend of mine recommended the photosync app - and it has worked flawlessly!!
(and I am no in any way connected to the creators of the app)

Give it a shot !

zballz.
I'm sure its a great app. However, the beauty of iPhoto (or Aperture) is Photo Stream is built right in. Assuming Photo Stream is turned ON for both the iPhone and iPhoto (mac), any photo added to your Camera Roll will get sent to Photo Stream. The Mac will then have these photos in its Photo Stream album as well. In Preferences, you can tell iPhoto to Automatically import new Photo Stream pictures to its library. In this regard, you don't have to do anything except make sure the mac is turned on with iPhoto open. It all happens automatically. The same can be said for Apple's Aperture if you prefer it over iPhoto.

Understand that Photo Stream is not a "backup" but rather a temporary "holding" bin of your most recent photos until you can transfer them to some sort of folder or photo management software. The iPhone's Camera Roll actually gets backed up to iCloud if you use iCloud for backups. The problem is, photos take up a lot of space and can quickly eat into your 5GB of free backup storage. So the only option is to actively move photos off the Camera roll as described above or pay for more iCloud storage.

Regardless of which method you prefer, remember Photo Stream is not a backup as the title to this thread might suggest. Only the Camera Roll gets backed up to the cloud.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier