Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 16, 2002
Seeing as there have been some recent inquiries about DP folding, (since MacAddict4Life gave up developing Folding Control, AFAIK) I thought I would make a thread on the subject.

http://homepage.mac.com/mc68k

The above link is to my iDisk, where you will find a device image in which you'll find Folding 2.19 binary and a client.cfg file, and a couple scripts. The 2.19 binary is necessary for DP machines, due to changes in the saving of files in later versions.

Steps for setup:

o copy eveything in the device image onto your desktop
o edit the name in the client.cfg file to your username
o run the setup script: just drop it in a terminal window
o the script will open CPU monitor: check that both CPUs are at 100%

Once this is complete you can delete any remaining files from your desktop. Make sure to hide (not minimize) your terminal windows, as they take up CPU just sitting there.

If you've run folding before, there is a folder in /Users/Library/Folding@home. You can delete this, as it is no longer used.

Successive runs of folding should be run by dropping the normal_run script into the terminal.

To quit folding, either close the terminal windows or log out.

To check folding progress, go to:
o /Users/[username]/F@H1/work/logfile_0#.txt
o /Users/[username]/F@H2/work/logfile_0#.txt

The bottom of these files will list the frames completed. Each F@H folder in your user directory represents a processor.

Folding only takes idle CPU, so it won't hurt performance, just cause your computer to run warmer.

Let me know of success/failure. Thanks for your support, and happy :) folding!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Btw, I've been running version 3.12 on two processors for about 4 weeks now and it's working fine. I don't have 2.19 at all.

By the way, what did the folding control do? Depending on what that is, I might be able to put something together to replace it.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by bousozoku
Btw, I've been running version 3.12 on two processors for about 4 weeks now and it's working fine. I don't have 2.19 at all.

By the way, what did the folding control do? Depending on what that is, I might be able to put something together to replace it.
Can you elaborate more? What are you doing different to make it run on both?

Folding control was a GUI frontend to the CLI binaries. I'm pretty sure it issued Darwin commands, like a script. It had an option for dual processing that did the same thing my scripts do.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I use a simple directory structure:

~/fahproc1
~/fahproc2

Each folder has the binaries OSX-3.12 and FahCore_65.exe along with machineindependent.dat and queue.dat, client.cfg, and the work folder.

The first time, I ran with options -local and -config. You must configure the advanced options to change the machine id.

The -local flag tells it to use the directory (folder) within the current directory.

The -config flag tells the programme to put the settings into whatever file it needs for later reference. (I don't know which it is.)

I started machine id #1 first. It was configured as usual, adding the advanced options and the machine id. It may then proceed to download a new core and a new work unit.

I waited 15 minutes and started #2 with the same flags, but changed the machine id to 2. (Failure to wait led to a loop of downloading work units and cores.)

I modified my previously-used scripts to work from the binary-level directory and to show both processors' frames.

Always start the new command line programme with ./OSX-3.12 -local
for it to use the new directory.

If you need more information or the scripts, please let me know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.