Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier

Old Oct 15, 2011, 03:09 PM   #1
Star-fire
macrumors 6502

iOS 5: All the Little Things (Undocumented Features)

Just wondering if anyone has found undocumented features.

I just found that you can swipe the weather in the notification screen and get a 6 day outlook.

Last edited by Hellhammer; Oct 16, 2011 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Changed title and sticked
Star-fire is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 03:11 PM   #2
Sseguin
macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Good idea to start this thread...looking forward to all the tips.
Sseguin is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 03:13 PM   #3
HoltVideo
macrumors newbie

I found that if you attempt to use the red-eye removal tool, and it doesn't detect red eye... you are stuck. There is no back, or cancel button to get you back to the camera roll.

...but that's not really a feature...
HoltVideo is offline   -17 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 11:46 PM   #4
gemnilocs
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star-fire View Post
Just wondering if anyone has found undocumented features.

I just found that you can swipe the weather in the notification screen and get a 6 day outlook.
you can put the calendar in landscape mode and see a whole week.
you can set vibrate tones for contacts...meaning you can make your own vibration pattern! go to settings:general:accessibility : hearing then select custom vibrations then go to sounds and scroll down to bottom: touch vibration and there you will see a list of standard vibrations(alert, heartbeat, rapid( kinda felt like something else) and a couple of others. if you want to make your own scroll down to custom.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:42 AM   #5
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Nice, keep them coming folks.
Applejuiced is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 01:00 AM   #6
kappaknight
macrumors 65816

In the weather app, tapping on the local weather will bring hourly temperatures.

Emoji keyboard is now included within iOS, no need for a separate app.

In Keyboard settings, you can setup shorthands for text. (e.g. typing eml and have iOS write out your actual email address come@me.bro)
kappaknight is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 01:00 AM   #7
ipoddin
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemnilocs View Post
you can put the calendar in landscape mode and see a whole week.
you can set vibrate tones for contacts...meaning you can make your own vibration pattern! go to settings:general:accessibility : hearing then select custom vibrations then go to sounds and scroll down to bottom: touch vibration and there you will see a list of standard vibrations(alert, heartbeat, rapid( kinda felt like something else) and a couple of others. if you want to make your own scroll down to custom.
I like the custom vibrations for contacts!

Also noticed you can make the led flash for incoming alerts too! Right below enabling custom vibrations.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 01:28 AM   #8
boltjames
macrumors 65816

You can create a lengthy line of text in any message by using a 3 letter code.

Type "NYC" and the phone types "I'm in the city, if you're up for going out tonight text me back" or anything else you configure.

BJ
Old Oct 16, 2011, 01:43 AM   #9
6daniels
macrumors member

Go to Settings>Messages>Send Read Receipts (Turn it on). When you've read someones message they sent with iMessage they will know.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 01:44 AM   #10
kidwithdimples
macrumors 6502a

After you send a text message you can hide the keyboard by swiping it down and swiping it up will bring it back again.
kidwithdimples is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 01:54 AM   #11
boltjames
macrumors 65816

1. Getting directions in Maps will now offer several different routes instead of just the one route you used to get.

2. Using wi-fi sync with an iPod in your car means you can get new music in your ride without ever having to unhook it and drag it into your house.

3. Tap and hold on a word and a Define option pops up, offering dictionary definitions for what you type or read.

4. Apple introduced new apps at the same time as iOS 5 including an AirPort utility that lets you configure your AirPort Express wi-fi router without a laptop.

BJ
Old Oct 16, 2011, 02:17 AM   #12
Xystence
macrumors regular

I realized earlier this week you could hide apps from your app history found in iOS 5 right in iTunes.

However about 5 minutes ago I realized you could swipe apps in your history on at least my iPhone 4s in the "Purchased" apps section and hide them, I do not believe I noticed this in the beta versions, and trust me I wanted it lol
Xystence is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 02:18 AM   #13
Airmark1
macrumors regular

You can use the split keyboard on the iPad. Settings general keyboard spli. Then select through the keyboard arrow icon

You can "swipe" to advance through the days on your Calendar on the iPhone (this might be old)

You can tell if you are texting or iMessageing vie the blank line right before you start typing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318749351.330359.jpg
Views:	955
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	307230  
Old Oct 16, 2011, 02:18 AM   #14
Airmark1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xystence View Post
I realized earlier this week you could hide apps from your app history found in iOS 5 right in iTunes.

However about 5 minutes ago I realized you could swipe apps in your history on at least my iPhone 4s in the "Purchased" apps section and hide them, I do not believe I noticed this in the beta versions, and trust me I wanted it lol
Sweet.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 02:22 AM   #15
Airmark1
macrumors regular

You can use Private Browsing in Safari.

Setting. Safari. Private Browsing. The banner bar turns dark.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 02:24 AM   #16
Hellhammer

Send a message via MSN to Hellhammer
I changed the title to iOS 5: All the Little Things so it's similar to our Lion thread. I also sticked the thread. If you see threads mentioning hidden features etc, report them and they will be merged to this thread.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 02:30 AM   #17
Saphire
macrumors member

On IPad 2 if you pull down on the time in on the task bar a notification tab opens.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 02:38 AM   #18
Airmark1
macrumors regular

Crap. Now I read undocumented features. Sorry guys.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 07:03 AM   #19
ahbdesign
macrumors member

Custom Text Tones!
Also, theres some additional pre-installed tones now (different sound effects)
Oh and you can now delete separate calls as opposed to the entire call history! (took them long enough!)
Old Oct 16, 2011, 08:07 AM   #20
hipnetic
macrumors 6502a

The dictation feature is my favorite new feature. It works really, really well. You can say various punctuation symbols to insert those (e.g., comma, period, colon), but I had a tough time figuring out how to insert a line break. I did some searching and I think I came across a manual for Dragon Dictation which uses Nuance and I believe that Nuance is what's used by the iOS dictation. Sure enough, the commands they use worked for iOS. So to insert a line break, you say "New Line" and to insert two line breaks, you say "New Paragraph".
hipnetic is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 08:29 AM   #21
aicul
macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Take a picture, swipe right to see it.

No need for small icon on bottom left
Old Oct 16, 2011, 09:29 AM   #22
aicul
macrumors 6502a

In find my friends, if you actually assign a friend to a wrong contact, there is no correction possible.

Except delete the contact and ask him to follow again.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 09:34 AM   #23
hipnetic
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by aicul View Post
In find my friends, if you actually assign a friend to a wrong contact, there is no correction possible.

Except delete the contact and ask him to follow again.
I ran into this yesterday. But I think you can fix this by removing the incorrect email address in the wrong Contact and then adding that email address to the correct Contact, rather than having to delete the Contact altogether.
hipnetic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 09:36 AM   #24
aicul
macrumors 6502a

Tried that and failed, so used the delete option.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 09:40 AM   #25
itsmemuffins
macrumors 68030

You can now set safari to open new pages on your iPhone in the back ground instead of going to a new page.
itsmemuffins is offline   8 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier