Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier

Old Oct 18, 2011, 02:58 PM   #101
Vegerot
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Vegerot Send a message via Yahoo to Vegerot Send a message via Skype™ to Vegerot
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmark1 View Post
You can use the split keyboard on the iPad. Settings general keyboard spli(t). Then select through the keyboard arrow icon
Don't do it like that! It's a LOT easier AND cooler if you just put both of your thumbs in the middle of the screen, then slide them to the side! Check it out, it's pretty cool!
Vegerot is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 03:14 PM   #102
Vegerot
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Vegerot Send a message via Yahoo to Vegerot Send a message via Skype™ to Vegerot
Thumbs up

OMG, probably my favorite feature by far!

Just like in Lion, you can slide four/five fingers UP to view MISSION CONTROL (). Slide four/five fingers from side-to-side to slide between apps. And "pinch" with five fingers to go to your home screen (aka LAUNCHPAD!).

So pretty much now, for all of us nerds who can't manage to push down the home screen button, there are NO LONGER ANY BUTTONS that you need to press!!!!! EVER!!!!

Also, put your thumbs on the keyboard and then "pull" them across the screen (see the iOS5 introduction video on Apple.com) and the keyboard splits in two! 0_o

I've only used it for about 15 minuets and total so far, so I'll tell you if I find anything else new.
Vegerot is offline   -6 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 03:27 PM   #103
Mac7
macrumors 6502a

Not sure if this was posted yet.

Settings > General > Accessibility to enable LED notifications. Only works when your phone is on silent mode.
Mac7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 03:35 PM   #104
Rubo Draco
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegerot View Post
OMG, probably my favorite feature by far!

Just like in Lion, you can slide four/five fingers UP to view MISSION CONTROL (). Slide four/five fingers from side-to-side to slide between apps. And "pinch" with five fingers to go to your home screen (aka LAUNCHPAD!).

Also, put your thumbs on the keyboard and then "pull" them across the screen (see the iOS5 introduction video on Apple.com) and the keyboard splits in two! 0_o

I've only used it for about 15 minuets and total so far, so I'll tell you if I find anything else new.
I'm glad you are as exited as I am with the Multitasking gestures, but this thread is for undocumented features... And you even mentioned:
Quote:
(see the iOS5 introduction video on Apple.com)
so those features are pretty much documented!
Rubo Draco is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 03:41 PM   #105
gazter
macrumors newbie

ios5

not sure if it is documented, but excellent new feature within the ical app. If you put a telephone number in the 'location' bar in an appointment it is now blue and clickable to allow direct dial. No more copy and pasting...
gazter is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 05:52 PM   #106
Vegerot
macrumors member

If you go in Safari and go to the Google bar, it will also allow you to search the page.
Vegerot is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 05:53 PM   #107
lilpete
macrumors member

not exactly a feature, but I have noticed one less inconvenience in ios 5. every night I charge my iphone on a speaker dock, and it has always come up with an annoying little message that says 'this device is not optimized for charging the iphone blah blah blah DISMISS' (even though it charged it anyway).

Since ios 5 there haven't been any annoying popups concerning this, even on much older speaker docks
lilpete is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 05:59 PM   #108
C DM
macrumors G4

Quote:
If you go in Safari and go to the Google bar, it will also allow you to search the page.
This was actually introduced back in iOS 4.2 or so I believe--still a pretty good feature to finally have.
C DM is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 06:02 PM   #109
Roofy.
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQXXX View Post
I like how you can pull down the key board now in text app instead of needing to exit and go back in to hide it.
yea love this feature. I know it was mentioned but I just discovered that if you swipe to the right when in the camera app you can view your previous pics.

I remember when iOS 5 was introduced I didn't find it to be much of an upgrade other than notification center. I thought iOS 4 was a bigger upgrade at the time. Now after using it for about a week I disagree. iOS 5 is a pretty huge upgrade. A lot of new features big and small, and a lot of new customizations and settings you couldn't see/do in any other iOS.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 07:04 PM   #110
Rubo Draco
macrumors regular

Music app on iPad

remember we used to tap on a song and automatically showed to you the album art in full screen?
it's not there anymore (not automatically)

if you play a song and tap on the tiny album art next to the music player, it'll show album art on fullscreen and you can swipe left/right to change between songs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0093 copia.png
Views:	129
Size:	509.9 KB
ID:	307918   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0094.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	307919  

Last edited by Rubo Draco; Oct 18, 2011 at 07:23 PM.
Rubo Draco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 07:51 PM   #111
zorinlynx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpete View Post
not exactly a feature, but I have noticed one less inconvenience in ios 5. every night I charge my iphone on a speaker dock, and it has always come up with an annoying little message that says 'this device is not optimized for charging the iphone blah blah blah DISMISS' (even though it charged it anyway).

Since ios 5 there haven't been any annoying popups concerning this, even on much older speaker docks
Oh thank the gods they got rid of that useless message!

My phone would always show it when I dock it on my JBL Soundstage, even though it works *perfectly* with it.
zorinlynx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:41 PM   #112
jatt559
macrumors member

iMessage to text message...

I was sending an iMessage to a friend... and while it was still sending, I wanted to copy it so I can send it to another friend. I noticed the option to send as text message.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photocopy.PNG
Views:	94
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	307996  
jatt559 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 06:28 AM   #113
mreddys10
macrumors regular

Go to Settings>General>About. At the bottom, there is new option called Diagnostics and Usage. It stores all diagnostic info, and if you choose, sends it to apple
mreddys10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 06:54 AM   #114
decafjava
macrumors 6502a

Just noticed really long song titles will scroll across now where they were always cut off before.
decafjava is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 08:05 AM   #115
upnorth067
macrumors member

Hey,

When you sync your music, do you have the 'manually manage music & videos' option checked under the Summary for your iPhone? I keep manually making changes to my music in iTunes but their not updated on the iPhone. It used to be when you made changes in iTunes they were automatically updated on the iPhone (with the Sync in Progress message).

I tried the uncheck and check Music tab option and it still didn't help.

Thanks for any insight you may have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggbrown View Post
I experienced this also, along with a few songs that simply didn't play.

The solution for me was to plug in my iPhone, go to the Music section in iTunes and uncheck "Sync Music", then sync.

Once it's done, re-check Sync Music and sync again. Takes awhile, but solved my issues. All has been good since then.

Good luck.
upnorth067 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 08:21 AM   #116
marcusj0015
Banned

I'd love to help...

but i don't know what IS and ISN'T documented to begin with :/

I can delete songs now, but only from the white background screen.
marcusj0015 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:09 AM   #117
flashflooder
macrumors regular

I sync a playlist to my iPhone, and I was hoping that deleting them from the phone would remove them from the playlist, but it just adds them back when I sync next. Doesn't make much sense to me...
flashflooder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:39 AM   #118
T-Will
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashflooder View Post
I sync a playlist to my iPhone, and I was hoping that deleting them from the phone would remove them from the playlist, but it just adds them back when I sync next. Doesn't make much sense to me...
If you want the song off your iPhone I think you would need to delete it from the playlist on your iPhone.
T-Will is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:22 PM   #119
bigsexyy81
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Knew that feature was there, just didn't know how to get to it. Thanks!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ5TajZYW6Y
bigsexyy81 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:48 PM   #120
chutch15
macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashflooder
It gets added back because it's still in the playlist on your home machine.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 01:18 PM   #121
Fry-man22
macrumors 6502

Sharing iCloud Reminders and Calendars

I came across this in regards to sharing iCloud Reminders and Calendars that is not documented and REALLY cool. Created a Grocery list and shared it with my wife and we could both add and check items - just the way it should work.

http://justinfrench.com/notebook/sha...-reminders-app
Old Oct 19, 2011, 01:29 PM   #122
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fry-man22 View Post
I came across this in regards to sharing iCloud Reminders and Calendars that is not documented and REALLY cool. Created a Grocery list and shared it with my wife and we could both add and check items - just the way it should work.

http://justinfrench.com/notebook/sha...-reminders-app
That's badass. Thanks! Too bad you can't share Reminder lists from the phone itself.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 01:43 PM   #123
Rubo Draco
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusj0015 View Post
but i don't know what IS and ISN'T documented to begin with :/

I can delete songs now, but only from the white background screen.
Anything you can read from Apple.com and anything you can learn from Apple's videos are "officially documented" features.
Rubo Draco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 01:55 PM   #124
bigsexyy81
macrumors 6502a

Calendar/Maps

I use my Outlook Calendar a ton and the Location box never populated with a hyperlink when looking at the event on the iPhone. If I copied the address to the Notes section of an event, it would be a hyperlink that jumped directly to Maps, but I'd forget to do that a lot. iOS 5 now has made the Location field a hyperlink so it will jump directly to Maps, as it always should have.

The numerous small improvements in iOS 5 make the user experience so much better. Very happy with it.

(Still don't understand why Apple refuses to put in a 'Snooze for 5,10,30,60 minutes' option for Calendar alerts)

And I don't want to steal the thunder away from this thread, but here are a big chunk of the features documented: http://techzoom.org/ios-5-complete-l...-new-features/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ5TajZYW6Y
bigsexyy81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 02:21 PM   #125
Maverickster
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2shyyou View Post
That's badass. Thanks! Too bad you can't share Reminder lists from the phone itself.
You can. My wife and I share an iTunes/iCloud account. Yesterday, she set a reminder from her iPhone 4 (while at home) and set it to alarm when "leaving: work". Because we share the account, this reminder was sync'd to my phone 4S. When I left work, it alarmed on my 4S.

Honeydo lists in the 21st century.
Maverickster is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier