Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Star-fire

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
Just wondering if anyone has found undocumented features.

I just found that you can swipe the weather in the notification screen and get a 6 day outlook.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jhonjhon236

Sseguin

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Good idea to start this thread...looking forward to all the tips.

HoltVideo

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
I found that if you attempt to use the red-eye removal tool, and it doesn't detect red eye... you are stuck. There is no back, or cancel button to get you back to the camera roll.

...but that's not really a feature...

• Sad
Reactions: Jhonjhon236

gemnilocs

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
california
Just wondering if anyone has found undocumented features.

I just found that you can swipe the weather in the notification screen and get a 6 day outlook.
you can put the calendar in landscape mode and see a whole week.
you can set vibrate tones for contacts...meaning you can make your own vibration pattern! go to settings:general:accessibility : hearing then select custom vibrations then go to sounds and scroll down to bottom: touch vibration and there you will see a list of standard vibrations(alert, heartbeat, rapid( kinda felt like something else) and a couple of others. if you want to make your own scroll down to custom.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
In the weather app, tapping on the local weather will bring hourly temperatures.

Emoji keyboard is now included within iOS, no need for a separate app.

In Keyboard settings, you can setup shorthands for text. (e.g. typing eml and have iOS write out your actual email address come@me.bro)

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
you can put the calendar in landscape mode and see a whole week.
you can set vibrate tones for contacts...meaning you can make your own vibration pattern! go to settings:general:accessibility : hearing then select custom vibrations then go to sounds and scroll down to bottom: touch vibration and there you will see a list of standard vibrations(alert, heartbeat, rapid( kinda felt like something else) and a couple of others. if you want to make your own scroll down to custom.

I like the custom vibrations for contacts!

Also noticed you can make the led flash for incoming alerts too! Right below enabling custom vibrations.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
You can create a lengthy line of text in any message by using a 3 letter code.

Type "NYC" and the phone types "I'm in the city, if you're up for going out tonight text me back" or anything else you configure.

BJ

kidwithdimples

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2007
After you send a text message you can hide the keyboard by swiping it down and swiping it up will bring it back again.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
1. Getting directions in Maps will now offer several different routes instead of just the one route you used to get.

2. Using wi-fi sync with an iPod in your car means you can get new music in your ride without ever having to unhook it and drag it into your house.

3. Tap and hold on a word and a Define option pops up, offering dictionary definitions for what you type or read.

4. Apple introduced new apps at the same time as iOS 5 including an AirPort utility that lets you configure your AirPort Express wi-fi router without a laptop.

BJ

Xystence

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2010
I realized earlier this week you could hide apps from your app history found in iOS 5 right in iTunes.

However about 5 minutes ago I realized you could swipe apps in your history on at least my iPhone 4s in the "Purchased" apps section and hide them, I do not believe I noticed this in the beta versions, and trust me I wanted it lol

Airmark1

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
You can use the split keyboard on the iPad. Settings general keyboard spli. Then select through the keyboard arrow icon

You can "swipe" to advance through the days on your Calendar on the iPhone (this might be old)

You can tell if you are texting or iMessageing vie the blank line right before you start typing.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318749351.330359.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318749351.330359.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,456

Airmark1

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
I realized earlier this week you could hide apps from your app history found in iOS 5 right in iTunes.

However about 5 minutes ago I realized you could swipe apps in your history on at least my iPhone 4s in the "Purchased" apps section and hide them, I do not believe I noticed this in the beta versions, and trust me I wanted it lol

Sweet.

Airmark1

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
You can use Private Browsing in Safari.

Setting. Safari. Private Browsing. The banner bar turns dark.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I changed the title to iOS 5: All the Little Things so it's similar to our Lion thread. I also sticked the thread. If you see threads mentioning hidden features etc, report them and they will be merged to this thread.

Saphire

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2011
UK
On IPad 2 if you pull down on the time in on the task bar a notification tab opens.

ahbdesign

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Custom Text Tones!
Also, theres some additional pre-installed tones now (different sound effects)
Oh and you can now delete separate calls as opposed to the entire call history! (took them long enough!)

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
The dictation feature is my favorite new feature. It works really, really well. You can say various punctuation symbols to insert those (e.g., comma, period, colon), but I had a tough time figuring out how to insert a line break. I did some searching and I think I came across a manual for Dragon Dictation which uses Nuance and I believe that Nuance is what's used by the iOS dictation. Sure enough, the commands they use worked for iOS. So to insert a line break, you say "New Line" and to insert two line breaks, you say "New Paragraph".

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Take a picture, swipe right to see it.

No need for small icon on bottom left

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats

In find my friends, if you actually assign a friend to a wrong contact, there is no correction possible.

Except delete the contact and ask him to follow again.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
In find my friends, if you actually assign a friend to a wrong contact, there is no correction possible.

Except delete the contact and ask him to follow again.
I ran into this yesterday. But I think you can fix this by removing the incorrect email address in the wrong Contact and then adding that email address to the correct Contact, rather than having to delete the Contact altogether.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats

Tried that and failed, so used the delete option.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
You can now set safari to open new pages on your iPhone in the back ground instead of going to a new page.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.