Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

londoner888

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Tottenham, London
I've noticed that straight after using Siri, it makes the phone sounds annoyingly loud!

If the phone is in sleep mode, and I use Siri... when I unlock the phone, the unlocking sound is VERY loud.

If the phone is already unlocked and I use Siri, then whatever I do immediately results in VERY loud sounds. For example, if I start typing a text message, the key clicks are extra loud.
I have to exit the message app and open it again for it to go back to normal.

Is anyone else experiencing this? or have I got a dud 4s??!

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
I've noticed this too. Siri's volume is much higher than the rest of the system sounds, but for whatever reason using Siri from the lock screen makes everything else just as loud. This will probably be fixed with a firmware update.

bollweevil

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008
I have the same problem. The volume increase, coupled with the fact that Siri simply doesn't work half the time, is enough to prevent me from using Siri until the technology improves.

Hopefully the bugs will be ironed out soon.

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
If the phone is already unlocked and I use Siri, then whatever I do immediately results in VERY loud sounds. For example, if I start typing a text message, the key clicks are extra loud.
I have to exit the message app and open it again for it to go back to normal.

If you hit the volume up or down button and adjust the volume one notch in either direction it'll return to normal as well.

Or if you simply wait about 10 seconds it normalizes itself.

If you have a lock code set try the following:
  • With the phone locked, hold the home button to activate Siri and ask her anything. Doesn't matter, just get her to speak.
  • Hit the home button again to bring you back to the lock screen.
  • Slide to unlock.
  • For the sake of making a sound, just hit the One button. You will of course notice the sound is louder than it should be. Keep hitting the One button at 1 second intervals. The point of this is just to hear the volume go from loud back to normal, after about the 10th click (or 10 seconds, if your timing is impeccable)

I think they intentionally crank up Siri's volume because after all she's useless if you can't hear her. But the volume doesn't get reset until some 10-second or so delay till after Siri has been exited.

Captain America

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
Yeah I've noticed that too. It sometimes happens outside the lock screen too. Volume buttons usually don't work for me. I just let it go away by itself. Doesn't happen often, so I don't worry about it too much.

londoner888

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Tottenham, London
Yes, it's a bug, report it here to make Apple expedite the fix: http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Thanks for the link.
I just reported the bug.

Hopefully anyone else reading this post, who is having the same issue will report it as well.

Fingers crossed that Apple release a patch very soon because the main reason I upgraded from a 4 to a 4s is because of Siri... which is amazing imo... but this has just sort of put a downer on it because the loud noise is annoying.

----------

If you hit the volume up or down button and adjust the volume one notch in either direction it'll return to normal as well.

Or if you simply wait about 10 seconds it normalizes itself.

If you have a lock code set try the following:
  • With the phone locked, hold the home button to activate Siri and ask her anything. Doesn't matter, just get her to speak.
  • Hit the home button again to bring you back to the lock screen.
  • Slide to unlock.
  • For the sake of making a sound, just hit the One button. You will of course notice the sound is louder than it should be. Keep hitting the One button at 1 second intervals. The point of this is just to hear the volume go from loud back to normal, after about the 10th click (or 10 seconds, if your timing is impeccable)

I think they intentionally crank up Siri's volume because after all she's useless if you can't hear her. But the volume doesn't get reset until some 10-second or so delay till after Siri has been exited.

I have my settings so that volume buttons don't adjust the ring volume.

One thing I find wierd is, it only does this when I ask Siri for information.
For example, define (a word), how much is $20 in £? what's the time in Las Vegas? etc

If I ask Siri to perform a task like text someone or add a reminder, and lock the phone after, everything is normal.

pokershark

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
I have the same problem and am thinking of whether or not to try and change it for another unit.

What do you guys think?
Should I wait and see if Apple bring about an update to fix this or go change it asap?
Worried that if Apple don't bring out an update, and I exceed the time limit in which I can bring my phone back then I'll be stuck with a faulty 4s

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
pokershark, I'm having the problem too, so it seems like it's widespread enough that a replacement probably won't fix it. It's not a huge deal as I'd already figured out the "play with the volume buttons" trick mentioned above. I'm sure Apple will address it in a software update.

pokershark

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
pokershark, I'm having the problem too, so it seems like it's widespread enough that a replacement probably won't fix it. It's not a huge deal as I'd already figured out the "play with the volume buttons" trick mentioned above. I'm sure Apple will address it in a software update.

I guess il just wait for now, not sure if there is even stock to cover an exchange.
I really hope Apple do take a look at it because as OP said, it's very annoying

MortalDays

macrumors regular
May 29, 2010
Ya its a bug. The volume for siri and system wide is not consistent. Sometimes its really loud, sometimes is really low volume.

iSaxon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I noticed it too. I went to type a text message and it was so loud. It seemed louder than it would be if I had the volume all the way up.

lucasite

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
Ok, just to be clear, there are two issues in this thread, one is user interaction, one is a bug.

1.) For those whose Siri is too loud or too quiet - Hold down the home button, when the microphone appears and Siri activates, now use the volume keys to adjust the volume specific to Siri.

2.) The bug is that this volume fluctuates occasional and isnt consistent. But you can fix this by performing step 1.

btw, the volume fluctuation also occurs for me, for phone events like the clicking on standby. So it is a wierd bug

mas90guru

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2007
Connecticut
I noticed this on my 4S as well. Could not pinpoint what was happening (though I can now).

Symptom was as described here - very loud volume for a second or two.

JoeUrbanski

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2012
SOLUTION: I came to this site to fix the problem of Siri being too darn loud, then played around after realizing everyone has the same problem. Here's the solution.

1. Activate Siri.
2. Don't talk to her.
3. Adjust the volume.
4. Done.

Siri's volume is within the Siri "app." Apple should tell us that (among 100 other things not included in the user guide).

TELL EVERYONE: it's a simple fix for an annoying problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.