Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
I had a Droid for 2 years and used a screen protector for about a year and then didn't use one for a year and didn't get a scratch on it.

I have SGP's Crystal Clear case on my phone and was wondering if I should get a screen protector?

If I did get one I'd get an SGP one...but they have 4 options.

I want something that looks crystal clear (not those matte finished ones).

Any recommendations on the best screen protector and if I'll really need one?

climber20

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2011
I never had one on my iPhone 4 or my Droid Incredible before that, and neither got a single scratch. I don't plan on using one on my 4S.

Scratches don't really bother me unless they affect fuctionality. If you're obsessive about these things, go ahead and throw one on.

jfrancis04

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
This isn't a knock on ppl who use them bc I know they're very popular. However, let me save you a lot of time and money...don't buy them. They're garbage and totally unnecessary.

iPhone screens are very difficult to scratch. I dropped my 3GS numerous times and the back was all scuffed up and dented, but I never had a single scratch on the front.

Screen protectors are way more trouble than they're worth. If you're worried about the screen cracking, a screen protector wouldn't help you there anyway.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Individual decision; I prefer the peace of mind. With the SGP Steinheil Ultra Oleophobic.
I can't tell the difference with or without the protector.

I bought it for my iphone4 last year, and since there were two in the pack I used the 2nd one on my 4S.

marktwothousand

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2011
Thread resurrected a thousand times I am sure, but I am going to ask anyway...

What is the best quality screen protector, for the least price?

Right now, I'm using a cheap ass one from Chinatown that bubbled up in the middle.

I need something from Ebay though, not Amazon, because I'm way the hell up in Canada, and Amazon refuses to ship that far. Even if the item is located in New York and someone wants it shipped to San Diego, they get it free, but it costs $100 in shipping alone just to go a few miles up to Canada.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
I'm like the others. I use to do screen protectors but then realized they were a complete waste of money. The screen protector themselves would get all scratched up and render my phone difficult to operate so I was always replacing them (more money spent) thinking, 'that could have been my phone'. One day I said forget it and stopped using them, 3 phones later not a single scratch and much money saved.

Its the equivalent to being convinced that you need a screen protector on you car windshield for peace of mind.

'You can fool some of the people all the time, but you can't fool all the people all the time'....

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Difficult to scratch - Yes
Impossible to scratch - No (and its usually when you least expect it)

I've gone commando before and I regretted it. Never again.

qpixo

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2010
I bought the power support anti-glare film set and very happy with it, it protects from dirty finger, dust, scratches, etc. Because I'm very obsessed with small details especially I can never handle a single tiny scratch on any of my Mac devices.

If getting one tiny single scratch on any Mac or Camera devices, my eyes are hurt...

punisher1-1

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2010
SGP Ultra Crystal is the closest thing to the real screen. Toddler fingers are great at scratching the oleophobic coating on the screen.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I usually use screen protectors from shieldskins.com I have used Zagg before and they seemed way to "tacky" to me, I switched to this and they feel great my finger slides just as good as nothing on it at all.

I would defiantly recommend a protector, because even though Apple says they are scratch resistant, if you go without one and it rubs against your keys or something else to that matter you will start to notice little surface scratches (this happened to my ipod touch)

Macguy76

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
Texas
I would definitely recommend the SGP screen shields for your iPhone 4/4S! I've been using them for years!

bjb.butler

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Southern California
Difficult to scratch - Yes
Impossible to scratch - No (and its usually when you least expect it)

I've gone commando before and I regretted it. Never again.

Exactly. I've had two iPhones and an Evo, and as soon as I took the screen protectors off, the scratches eventually came. I'm not talking about some huge, long, deep scratch, but several 1~2mm scratches that annoy me. Never again.
I bought a 6-pack of cheap screen protectors from amazon (free shipping), and put one on my 4S right away. I never even touched the screen.

My phone side by side with a friends iPhone 4 with one of those fancy $15 screen protectors, and you can barely tell a difference. No way I'm paying that much. The only screen protector I would pay more than a few bucks for is for one with a matte finish

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I have SGP's Crystal Clear case on my phone and was wondering if I should get a screen protector?

If I did get one I'd get an SGP one...but they have 4 options.

I want something that looks crystal clear (not those matte finished ones).

Any recommendations on the best screen protector and if I'll really need one?
Whether you should or not is your call to make. You seem to answer your own question. You prefer SGP. Get a clear screen protector from SGP.

This isn't a knock on ppl who use them bc I know they're very popular. However, let me save you a lot of time and money...don't buy them. They're garbage and totally unnecessary.

iPhone screens are very difficult to scratch. I dropped my 3GS numerous times and the back was all scuffed up and dented, but I never had a single scratch on the front.

Screen protectors are way more trouble than they're worth. If you're worried about the screen cracking, a screen protector wouldn't help you there anyway.
Totally subjective. Plenty of people do scratch their screens whether you do or not. Your experience, a single data point, does not indicate any sort of trend no matter how you misinterpret it. These screens are not unscratchable. I really don't get why people think "If it doesn't happen to me then it never happens to anyone, anywhere".

Again, the decision to use a screen protector or not is a call that each person needs to make. Worth is always highly subjective, regardless of topic.

What is the best quality screen protector, for the least price?
Best is also always highly subjective. I know of no good and cheap screen protectors. IMO you get what you pay for. That said, it's entirely possible that there are cheap screen protectors that you'd be ok with. The trick is you'd have to find someone with preferences in line with your own regarding what's acceptable.

It's only SGP and PowerSupport for me but my priorities are a screen protector that doesn't distort the image of the retina display, a feel that is as close to bare glass as possible and relatively good durability. A screen protector is a sacrificial part. It's not going to avoid all scratches. If you expect that then don't bother with a screen protector.

Last edited:

marktwothousand

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2011
Ya, I am sorry to all those who claim "not a scratch", but I don't believe it. There are probably micro-scratches that you can't see, but even those are too much for me. People who don't use screen protectors obviously never keep their phone face-down.

I almost always leave mine face down when I leave my desk at work, its not even a question of having a screen protector or not, its a necessity. If you don't want to be restricted in using your phone, get a protector, so you don't have to worry about grains of sand, etc. being on a tabletop when your phone screen-face down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.